Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,292 times

Advertisements

Spaying your female cat before the age of 6 months reduces this cancer risk by 91%...
before 1 year 86%
before 2 years 11%
after 2 years 0%

Mammary Cancer in Cats - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

It is very important to understand that this cancer is very preventable and no cat should have to go through this....

My 10 year old little Girly Cat is losing her battle with this disgusting form of cancer. By the time is was noticed it was already too late to do anything about it because the cancer had already spread. I had never realized that early spaying reduced the risk to almost none. I'm just spoiling the heck out of her during these last few weeks and hoping for a miracle (she already lived longer than the vet thought she would) but I know what I'll soon have to do. Her next trip to the vet will be her last .

Please don't put off getting your cat spayed! Do it as soon as possible. If money is an issue there are low cost spay/neuter programs in every state and major city.

SPCA often offers low cost spay/neuter programs, call your local office for details.

Where to Have Your Pet Spayed or Neutered | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/where_to_have_your_pet_spayed_or_neutered.html - broken link)

Locate Affordable, Low Cost Spay / Neuter Resources

About.com: http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

It's too late for my Girly but I don't want this to ever happen to any other cat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:57 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Thank you for posting this, and I'm so sorry you're going through this with your girly...cyberhugs to you both...!

Luckily, I had my female cat spayed as soon as she was old enough to have it done, (I wasn't aware of the health issue at that time, I just didn't want her to have to go through heat!!!) My newly-rescued boy kitty will also be neutered as soon as he's big enough to do have it done safely...

Many people aren't aware of how many health issues can be avoided by simply spaying/neutering our pets. Plus, there are already too many homeless furbabies out there, we should focus on getting them cared for instead of breeding our own and addding to the already heightened pet population!!!

Thanks again for sharing your story & trying to help others...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats