U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times

Advertisements

Male or female, neutered or spayed can spray. They are just more apt to do so if left intact. I have 2 males who I have no problems with...but one was brought in as a kitten to the 5 year old male. It really is a 50-50 shot...introducing a kitten is a lot easier. Good luck and keep us posted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
IMHO, introducing a new cat to an older cat is a total lottery. I simply do not believe that you can influence one cat's attitude towards another.

If the cats like eachother, that's great. If the cats hate eachother, that's terrible. Either way, none of your arrangements, carefully laid plans or introduction procedures had any effect whatsoever on the end result.

I've had cats that earnestly desire to gravely injure one another, cats that are completely indifferent to one another, cats that are the best of friends and one cat who would literally "spoon" with the family dog and the two could be boarded in the same pen if we had to leave town for an extended period. Cats just do whatever the hell they please and don't care if you light candles and give them a massage before introducing a new kitten. He or she is just plain going to hate the kitten if that's what he or she wants to do.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:14 AM

5,070 posts, read 5,103,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
IMHO, introducing a new cat to an older cat is a total lottery. I simply do not believe that you can influence one cat's attitude towards another.

If the cats like eachother, that's great. If the cats hate eachother, that's terrible. Either way, none of your arrangements, carefully laid plans or introduction procedures had any effect whatsoever on the end result.

I've had cats that earnestly desire to gravely injure one another, cats that are completely indifferent to one another, cats that are the best of friends and one cat who would literally "spoon" with the family dog and the two could be boarded in the same pen if we had to leave town for an extended period. Cats just do whatever the hell they please and don't care if you light candles and give them a massage before introducing a new kitten. He or she is just plain going to hate the kitten if that's what he or she wants to do.
So true. Like people, some you meet you instantly like and some, well, you just don't.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM

4,038 posts, read 8,610,901 times
We have three adult males and three adult females. They all get along just fine. Everyone is neutered or spayed and they all joined the household at different times. None of them required any special introductions or isolation. They just moved in and became one of the family. None of them has ever sprayed in the house, but I have seen them do it outside, including one of the females.

We also have four young females who are not yet spayed. They were feral kittens who were sick and starving. We nursed them back to health and they have become part of the family. Some of the older cats like them and play with them and some of them seem to just tolerate them. They occasionally get a hiss or a bop on the head if they become too much of a bother. Something like playing with a big cat's tail while he's trying to sleep will get this reaction.

But the bottom line is that all ten cats get along, share their food, their sleeping spots, their scratch pads, our bed, and the house in general. We never had to do anything to facilitate this other than to love and care for them all.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
i have a 2yrs old male cat,neauterd,his brother was given to a friend,but i have him back now,hes done to,whats the best way to introduce them to each other,i have one in a cage(new one)content and happy till u go near him,my other is just doing his own thing,he knows the other cats there,but just staying away...........help,i dont want a blood bath x

Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM

6,632 posts, read 5,401,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axinom07 View Post
hi, and the answer to this is yes yes and definately YES!!!!! Esp. if they are not fixed. However their is a product that i have heard alot about called Feliway (check out their site) It is pheremones that cancel out the territory marking smells and leave only the friendly ones. I am going thru this problem myself right now, as i had recently brought home a neutered male but my dominant male who is also neutered will not give the new one a chance in you know where. I am thinking of trying this product myself. Actually if anyone on this site has used it i would like to hear from them. Do some research on the web b4 introducing them. ie: how to get 2 cats to get along. I have punched that up and found alot of info. good luck! Monica
You need more than two litterpans. The rule is one litterpan per cat and a spare. And don't have them all in one small area where one cat can litterpan-guard. My adult male doesn't want one of the females to use the litterpan he uses in the utility room. He never liked that female. She uses the one in the back bathroom. I don't think he ever goes back there.

Boy is this an old thread.

Last edited by =^..^=; 11-22-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 03:53 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,335,844 times
It is my experience and I have witnessed with my own two eyes, neutered as well as un-neutered males will spray AND spayed and un-spayed ladies will spray as well. We have 22 cats - trust me, I notice these things. It is always possible they will bond and you will not have a problem. It is done as a means to mark their territory. You could have a single cat in your household, he could see another stray cat outside, and yours would spray - just to make sure there is no doubt that that is his space. I find it's a crapshoot - you cannot predict how they will react to each other until it happens. Personally, I find that most cats appreciate having a playmate in the house - they get bored and everybody likes to have a friend. I would absolutely adopt him if I were you - you would be saving his life and giving a lifelong buddy to your current cat.

Wow, this is old. I need to remember to look at stuff like that before I jump in. Arghhhhh......

Last edited by CFoulke; 11-22-2012 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: additional...

Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 PM

8,467 posts, read 7,078,205 times
I don't think gender matters. We had a female cat move in with our present female and they have been fighting for weeks. The first cat gets especially mad if the new one tries to occupy a higher position. She was here first so she insist she is the "top cat."

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM

7,178 posts, read 8,927,675 times
A year ago, I moved into an apartment with two roommates and we each had a big male cat. It probably helped that we were all new to the space, but none of the cats had been around other cats before and they all got along for the most part. Now we're down to two cats, which is a better mix. My cat and the cat that just left with my outgoing roommate would tussle and neither was willing to give up the alpha male status. There was no hissing after the first week - just occasional pouncing.

But it really does seem to be the luck of the draw.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM

585 posts, read 736,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't think gender matters. We had a female cat move in with our present female and they have been fighting for weeks. The first cat gets especially mad if the new one tries to occupy a higher position. She was here first so she insist she is the "top cat."
That is not necessarily true. My senior who I've had for years had absolutely no interest in being top cat when I brought a kitten home. The kitten stayed at the top cat spot after I brought in another kitten friend for him but was overthrown by a rescue I brought in a year or so later. It was hard to watch him get bullied out of his spot but now they are all friends.

Just because they have been there the longest does not mean they automatically desire to be alpha, some cats could not care less. We as humans might assume the cat who has been in the house the longest wants to consider itself top cat and might even intervene if we see the balance tipping but it's entirely normal for some cats to prefer the lower rungs of the cat hierarchy in their house.

It is more cat politics than "seniority" and they all work it out differently.

Your present female may just be the alpha type, she'd probably exhibit the same behavior if she were the new cat in a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats