U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,592 times
wow i cant believe that. i volunteer with a animal rescue a animal shelter and a local vet office. and ive adopted out cats to be inside/outside. i cant even get my own cat to stay inside. we have tons of cats that die at our shelter that we would love to give to people like you and i am sorry that someone would do this to anyone. i actually adopted two feral cats from the shelter because i wanted a couple of them to have a good ending. my personal opinion is that being outside or inside/outside is better than being dead. and if you or anyone else still wants to adopt kitties or doggies dont go to a animal rescue that has high standards like that. for one they can have standards like that because they have money that says they can. and two go to a shelter because they are low on funding and that means with all the budget cuts that they have to put down animals even more and more. black cats and black and white cats are always the last ones to leave because people are silly and superstitious still or because theyre not aas pretty as the siamese mix cats or the calico cats. and pit bulls are the ones to stay the longest and the number one dog put down at shelters, not because theyre aggressive but because people wont stop breeding them and because no one adopts them. we have great pit bull dogs that sit and sit because of all the stories in the news. and yes while some may not be adoptable and even cat killers but we dont put those on our adooption row. we carefully test and monitor all our animals and we dont adopt out dogs or cats that would be aggressive in the least bit. and a lot of people dont know that or well any of this information im posting on this so i hope this will open at least one persons mind to what goes on with animals in rescue and shelters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM

5,442 posts, read 5,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You know, I'm a pretty reasonable person. I know that animal rescue programs have all kinds of restrictions about who can and who can't adopt animals because they want to make sure the animal gets the perfect home. But sometimes I think these restrictions are ridiculous.

I tried to do a humanitarian thing, it backfired and I need to vent. Also I hope that if some of you work in rescue programs you will think about whether your own attitudes may result in animals being euthanized.

When we bought out house last year, it came with a cat. "Hammy" is an outdoor cat who likes being outdoors. The vet thinks he's about 5-7 years old. We've taken him to the vet, gotten him his shots, and even taught him to let us brush him. He's a very sweet animal and we've never seen him fighting--he's friendly, but he'll never be a house cat. He likes his independence. We've managed to teach him to come in at night, which I consider a major victory. But there is no way we could ever make him an indoor cat. But because we take care of an animal that came with our house, we are apparently scum who are prohibited from adoping another animal. Does this make sense? Not to me.

We see stories on CNN and in the local news that due to the economy, a huge number of pets are now being abandoned and will have to be euthanized because there's just too many. So we decided to do something about it. We like cats, so we went to the animal adoption fair looking for a cat. They had dozens and dozens, all in cages--most of them pretty unhappy.

We picked the one who had been waiting for adoption the longest, on the theory that she was closest to being euthanized. She was 3 years old, and not especially pretty. But she was very sweet and thrilled to be held. I have a feeling she was starved for attention (easy to believe with all the kittens there).

We spent more than an hour with her, and the lady running the fair seemed happy with us. She said she could tell we loved the cat, and we said yes, we wanted to adopt her.

Then the trouble started. She asked if we had a history with a local vet who could vouch for us. We said in fact we did, because we were also caring for the cat that came with the house. At that moment, the lady running the fair started looking at us like we were scum and she asked us to leave.

She said she would never let a person who had an outdoor cat adopt one of her precious kitties. She said if we "really want a cat, we would have to buy one from a pet store because no shelter will help people like you." We tried to explain, and fix the problem, but it was no good. We asked her to check with the vet, who would tell her we are good pet owners. She didn't care, apparently she had already passed judgement that we were scum.

Sadly, I put the cat back in the cage, realizing that the poor thing probably won't find another home. There were just too many cute kittens. Maybe I didn't have the "perfect ideal" home for her but it's better than being in a cage for months, and certainly better than being euthanized.

Should I have lied about having Hammy? Should I bring "Hammy" to the rescue group and give him up so that I can have the other cat?

I know so many people who have homes full of pets. Some are indoor, some are outdoor--the animals learn how to get along. If rescue groups are really this picky, then no wonder their services are overflowing.

OK, I'm done venting. Opinions? Comments?
On the one hand I understand exactly what your saying because I would be in the same boat. My old Michigan vet where I took my cat till death, then my dog and 2 ferrets till they died, over a span of years, would give me an outstanding recommendation as would anyone who knew me. But I'm in the same boat with some the restrictions.

On the other hand having done a very little ferret rescue, dog rescue and trying to find homes for the 2 feral now 7 month "tamed" kittens....I got burned in ferret rescue. Turned over a couple of ferrets to other supposed known rescuer's who were later raided for terrible conditions. I never found out what happened to the ferrets which had already been in very bad conditions.
That is staying with me for life. 15 years later I feel so guilty, angry and sad. Placing an animal is a HUGE responsibility. If your wrong your sentencing an animal to possible tortuous conditions. You start thinking about some animal you placed suffering years of abuse and..well...you'd rather see them put down frankly.
So what did I learn, rule number 1 - never adopt out an animal unless you can visit the house.
You can't tell from meeting people, as House MD says 'everyone lies' all you can do is set up "rules", basically a profile of a conscientious owner and stick to it because otherwise it becomes a slippery slope. As soon as we let one "perfect" family without a fenced in yard adopt a dog even though that was a rule, because they seemed so responsible - it got run over. A fluke, accidents happen. Till it happened again, same family.
I have found that I cannot be involved in placing animals. Its a total crap shoot really.

Do a cat a favor. Most Humane Societies and Shelters have a higher adoption rate than county or city animal control. They also have a lot of restrictions. Occasionally there won't be a city "pound" because they contract with a shelter. But I'll bet the suburb, city or town or county next door does.
Their adoption rates are abysmal. I recently called our county pound and they said - over 2/3 of all kittens and cats get euthed. They got in 1500 felines last year and she said about 300 got adopted. If you really want to help take a short road trip to your nearest poorest county. Those animals have almost no hope. I doubt they have the same restrictions.

Last edited by Giesela; 10-26-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,564,621 times
I would think a good vet recommendation would count for a lot. I think a vet knows what kind of pet parent he is dealing with over the years. Common sense should prevail. Rules, yes, but flexibility and good info can also enable a great decision.

Indoor/outdoor isn't the point IMO. What is the history of this person's pets? A careless outdoor owner who lets a cat near cars and nefarious bypassers is different from an informed cautious one who allows his cat on the patio while he is outside reading a book. A fenced yard is great but a person who has had pets live into ripe old age by using a leash and nearby parks and green areas for exercise is still a good candidate. A rented home could mean instability and moving and not being able to take a pet--but a rental by a person with a good history and a solid commitment and a good financial situation is different and could be determined with some effort.

Probation periods and follow-up visits could help in unusual circumstances, particularly when euthanasia is the alternative.

But many rescues don't have the manpower or money to do these in-depth fair evaluations, so a strict set of guidelines provides a safety net. (And there are some kooks.) But if they could or would use a case by case evaluation better decisions would emerge--versus bureaucratic inflexibility.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post

But many rescues don't have the manpower or money to do these in-depth fair evaluations, so a strict set of guidelines provides a safety net. (And there are some kooks.) But if they could or would use a case by case evaluation better decisions would emerge--versus bureaucratic inflexibility.
Your post has lots of good points. However its not just that.
People tend to get irritated to offended (see original post!) when evaluated. Thoroughly evaluated and you get a lot of angry.
I recently had someone call for the two not so anymore feral kittens I was trying to place. The guy had the old man voice and several other cats. At some point I asked him did they have a plan should all the cats outlive them? He got offended and didn't see why he should have to answer questions like that.
Normie - how would you have felt had the evaluation been even more thorough with a home visit, vet reference check, proof of financials, and you got the cat?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 PM

5,367 posts, read 6,232,257 times
How ridiculous!

We found an adorable little black & white kitten at a rescue group. After all the stories about homeless animals, we thought they would be glad to find a home for him. Well, they told us to fill out an application, provide them with 3 references, then schedule a home visit. WTH? its a cat, not a kid!

So, later my son's boy scout troop was volunteering at a local animal shelter. We worked the "back room" where they kept the cats that were not adoptable. The old, sick, "ugly" ones. I found my soulmate, Marshmallow. There he sat, a huge, 18-pound Maine Coon Mix, shedding up a storm and stinking like #ell! I took him out of his cage, he immediately tucked his head under my shoulder and cried pitifully. I brushed him, got a ton of fur off him. His backside was covered with matted fur and poop stuck on him. Oh, the poor baby!

I asked if we could adopt him. They looked at me like I was crazy, and tried to direct me to some "cute kittens" No, I wanted this guy! so, they gave him to me, and I mean gave him, even waived the adoption fee. Turns out he was on death row, anyways. I immediatedly took him to our vet, paid $175 to have him groomed. Got all that matted fur shaved off, he was beet-red under his back side. A shot of antibiotics, steroids, and some vitamins. Then brought him home. The first week he just clung to me, then got more brave. Now he's a glorious, fluffy, proud kitty! When we got him he drug his tail, now he carries his tail proudly!

My advice, if you really want to save something worth saving, go to a shelter, and ask to see the "back room" the animals on "death row" There you might find your best friend!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
How ridiculous!

Well, they told us to fill out an application, provide them with 3 references, then schedule a home visit. WTH? its a cat, not a kid!
Not being a kid does not change the idea that they deserve a home where they aren't abused or tossed back into the system over and over because people who adopt may not be committed.
That whole adopt, oh we're moving off to the shelter, a couple of years later I feel like a kitten, oh now I have a baby off to the shelter who cares its just a cat, not a kid churn really causes a ton more work, costs money, hurts shelters, and the cats.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM

18,868 posts, read 14,942,728 times
Our nieghbors, used to get animals, and then if they went on a vacation, or whatever, would take the dog to the shelter, and just get another one when they came home. In the same time we had one dog, 13 years, and one cat, 20 years, they had like 20 different dogs. Their dogs always had a "problem" or got hit by a car, or whatever...And they always had different cats, who were outside cats, and get lost or run over...can you even believe that people like this exist?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,470,826 times
I can see why you would need a vet reference. And perhaps, if this was your first pet (so you wouldn't have the vet reference), several other references.

What I simply do NOT understand is the "home visit". Especially for a cat. *Maybe* for a dog, to ensure that you have a fenced yard (if that is one of their criteria). But, honestly, what does a home visit show? To me, that's simply too invasive. They do that when you adopt a *child*.

It's really nice to know that these groups have the luxury of finding "perfect homes" in their eyes for these animals, when tens of thousands of others are being euthanized.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:44 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
wanna hear ridiculous...

when i first found my cat Tempi...(short for temporary who is now not so temporary lol) i removed her from a trash can at 6 weeks old she had been tied up in a plastic bag, then tossed in the can and the can had been bungee corded shut. luckily shed managed to get her head free and i heard her cries just as the trash guys arrived to empty the stores cans...she would have been killed by the compactor in the trucks...

anywho, i rent fomr my parents and they were adamant no more cats as they were having issues with their cat...so i called our local pound the next day...nope we cant take it...they tell me...call the shelter...
so i did...

the shelter tells me they will take her...with a donation...

now firstly i get that shelters are mostly donation run...and i dont mind donating something but this wasnt my cat, id simply found her...

anywho...i said no problem, ive got about $200 in high quality none expired cat food that i would hapily donate to the shelter, it was left from when we had our little pet boutique (no live animals) and my parents cat woudlnt touch the stuff, hes purely fancy feast *yick*

their responce: oh thats great, but we need a $200 CASH donation to take in kittens...
WHAT!?
i kept my compusure and asked them what they meant...
in order to take in any kitten they needed a $200 cash donation...but theyll happily take my donation of food as an addition!

now keep in mind i could get her spayed at the same vet this shelter uses and her kitten shots for a total of $100....
so i tell them id be willing to get her her shots and spayed before handing her over...
oh that would be wonderfull, but itll still be $200...

i couldnt belive it, decided id try to rehome her myself...and well shes still here lol.

a friend of mine tried adopting a dog form this shelter, and they had in their contract that she HAD to feed science diet (were both very onvolved with animal dietary needs and refuse to feed anything corn based to our dogs) but more so she also had to buy it from them (at $5 a bag more than it cost at petco)
when she refused and even brought in information on corn as the main ingredient in a dogs diet being nothing but junk, brought in information from several area vets ect....they refused to adopt to her...
this was a dog that had sat in the shelter for 3 years already and was about 5 years old, a pitbull mix (he looked more dogo than pitbull) who couldnt be homed with other animals, or kids and doesnt like men...(in other words a very hard to home dog) hed had no training beyond his name...
shes a dog trainer, and a part time veterinary technician, cant have kids and is a lesbian, and no other pets...lived on an acre of 8 ft privicy fenced land, dog would be an indoor (supervised outdoor) dog...
and rather than send him to an amazing home...he sat in that kennel another 3 years before they decided he was "too old to adopt" and euthanized him.

i understand they have rules for a reason...

but some of those rules just baffle me!

i wouldnt qualify because i raw feed my dogs...it aparently makes them evil...
though i could imagine my 5lb jasper with devil horns :P

Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,470,826 times
That's unreal, foxywench. Obviously, the *animals* are not what is driving this.

I'm assuming that shelter also charges for adoptions, right? I sure hope they're not crying poverty with this racket that they have.

As for the dog, it's so sad, yet unfortunately so typical. You get people who don't have the brains or the understanding to actually look at *individual* circumstances. As with many things, it's the people who are morons, and the animals suffer for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats