Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 03:18 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

It seems almost like something out of a cartoon that a person would grab the dog and run away, like they were doing some noble deed saving a dog from a monster.

Obviously rescues and shelters were different, but I would think more animals could be rescued if some rescues weren't quite so picky. The area I live could benefit a lot from the money that some (notice some, not all) rescues get in donations. I do wonder if some rescues' high standards cause them to save fewer animals than some shelters do.

Maybe if rescues (like the one someone mentioned that won't adopt an animal to a working person) could do a lot better by working with the shelters and having similar criteria. It is possible that an animal could go to a bad home if the standards are not high enough, but many more could be turned away from rescues and shelters if the standards are too high. You have to have just the right level of restrictions, and make sure to take every case on its own merit.

A house here recently had 26 animals (23 alive) taken out of it. We have no no-kill shelters around here. The animal population is so out of control that a no-kill shelter is just not possible. I can't help but think that most of those animals will end up being put down at the pound. The puppies might get adopted out. However, if the shelters had the same kind of donations that some of these snobby rescues have, they might be able to keep animals a little bit longer.

As far as the last paragraph, I have nothing against no-kill shelters. I think it's great when they are possible. Around here there are so many stray animals being added every year and so few homes that a no-kill shelter is not practical.

I have no problem with rescues and shelters asking for donations to help cover the costs, but I do think that some rescues work on a profit while many shelters cannot even make ends meat. If that's the case, why not spread the donations and the help around a little bit?

I can understand having high standards to keep animals from going to bad homes, but if a home is good, just not perfect (what home is?) then why not let the people adopt? Once an animal is in a new home another stray can be brought in and put up for adoption.

Really, I think it's a case of finding the perfect home for some or finding a good home for many. I'm not sure that anybody I know would qualify according to some rescue's standards. I have outside cats (they won't tolerate being inside). My sister has a cat and a dog but she lives in an apartment. Most of my other friends have outside animals. However, from what I can tell, they all have healthy loved animals.

Maybe it's because of the area I'm from, but you have to have realistic standards. Of the 4 cats I've given away, they're outside cats. I knew that finding someone to neuter them (they were males) and keep them inside would be impossible. So I looked for a home that provided food, shelter, and love. That's what I found. I kept and spayed the females, knowing that they would be nearly impossible to give away, especially to someone who would spay them and give them an inside home. No shelter or pound would or could take them. So I found the best home I could and it's turned out alright.

Maybe it's because of the area I live in, but to me some rescue's high standards are just ridiculous. Maybe it works there. Here it does not, because there is very little demand. Why not help some of the rescues in areas like mine? There apparently is a shelter around here trying to get a spay/neuter clinic set up, but I have not heard any more about it. Getting money for anything like that is difficult around here because it's a rural, poor area and people aren't usually that concerned about animal welfare. I am, but not to the point of denying animals a good home while searching for a perfect one. In areas like this one, perfect homes do not exist. It seems unfair to get perfect homes for possibly thousands (depending on the turnover of these picky rescues) while millions more are put down. Can't we spread the money around a bit?

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-19-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM

48 posts, read 103,303 times
St. Cards Blues & Mrs. 1885 write very thoughtful posts-love ready them!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM

opps-meant love reading them!!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suei View Post
Most people in the UK are of the view that a Pedigree cat doesn't have the same survival instinct as a moggy.

I have owned both (still do). When I take them out on their harness and leads both moggies and pedigree react exactly the same, (with uncertainty).

If I lived in a rural quiet area with minimal risk of RTA then I would let my lads outside to explore, but I live on a housing estate lots of people (some undesireable yobs), other animals, and heavy traffic.

I have been told I am cruel keeping moggies indoors. People are entitled to their opinion, my boys are well cared for have plenty of indoor activies. They also have an outdoor enclosure so they are able to get plenty of fresh air. As I have said on other forums, I choose a cats as a pet not as a target for sick sadistic people.
Thanks for this information. I did not know that. I wouldn't think there would be that much difference and it would all depend upon the nature of the individaul kitty.

A kind of side story. I had a sweet little Siamese kitty for 18 years. She was terrified of the outdoors and wouldn't go out if the door was wide open. In fact she would run deeper into the house.

A neighbor once told me I was cruel not to let her go outside since it was "natural" for cats to be outdoors. I asked her what was I supposed to do; kick the kitty out and close the door?

She was such a believer in letting cats go outside she just didn't understand that if the cat doesn't want to, it shouldn't have to.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I hope no one gives up on shelters/rescues altogether because of the minority that have ridiculous requirements and/or fees. If you have problems w/ one, check petfinder to find numerous others that will be more reasonable. It's easy to become overprotective of the animals when you get some returned for completely ridiculous reasons, or find out later they're being neglected or mistreated, knowing there are others in the same boat but you'll never find out about it. But to take it to the point where they're not getting placed in homes is really a shame.
One thing that shouldn't be negotiable, ever, is spay/neuter. It helps nothing to adopt out a cat and get 6 back later.
My *Pet* peeve. Five years ago my kitty died at age 15 of kidney failure. I've had cats all my life. This cat was initially adopted from a wonderful animal shelter (are there any left?) and the owners were giving her up because she was covered in sores, all blood. I changed her diet and she was never sick again!

So that's what it was like to adopt a cat in those days. Fast forward to 5 years ago when that cat finally died and I tried to get a new one. $200 in fees AND a detailed application, etc. I cried and cried on the phone talking to the animal shelter people and I did not get a cat.

Two years ago we decided we wanted a dog. Well, the same craziness. We went to an animal shelter here in MA and felt insulted right at the front desk by the attitude of the people and the huge application form we were supposed to fill out. Plus, wanting proof of income. Also, they would be checking on us.

Well, we did find a few dogs we like and with every one, one of the workers came and told us "that would not be a good dog for you."

My husband has owned, bred, and trained dogs for many, many years. He doesn't have to be told what dog would make a good pet for himself.

We went to many more animal shelters--same story. Sky high fees that make you stop in your tracks, insulting applications, and workers who discourage you.

I feel so bad for the animals, cooped up in their cages, ever getting a home but that's what these crazy animal shelter people want.

We tried the vet--they told us all animals are now sent to these shelters. We tried animal rescue--same thing.

But we got THE BEST DOG IN THE WORLD! Our little baby appeared on Craig's List. FREE. The owner comes a few times a year to visit him (not to CHECK on us)--she didn't want to get rid of him, it was bad circumstances (divorce). He is a gorgeous purebred with the sweetest personality. He was 11 and is 13 now but in excellent health. We give him the best food and take him for long walks every day. Nope, we don't have a fenced in yard--we live in an apartment but he gets more exercise than a lot of dogs. I don't know what we'll do when he is gone because these animal shelter places are so crazy.

BTW, before we found our baby on Craig's List, we had driven all over Mass. and had even gone up to New Hampshire. Same story. We had called animal shelters in CT--more of the same. All of New England seems to have gone the the route of keeping animals separated from loving humans. What a shame.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I just did some more reading and it appears that people think it's the rescue places that are hard to deal with. Here in New England, we've only dealt with animal SHELTERS and they are impossible. Horrible.

Those employees WANT to keep the animals there, they don't want them adopted. Maybe they become too attached, I don't know what it is. Maybe they have stereotypes of what the ideal owner is?

I could almost go out and buy a purebred dog for what these shelters charge for a grown mutt--and then they won't let you have it anyway.

I almost feel like naming names--maybe these places would get investigated or something.

Anyone else in New England who has found it impossible to adopt a pet? Unaffordable and insulting?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just did some more reading and it appears that people think it's the rescue places that are hard to deal with. Here in New England, we've only dealt with animal SHELTERS and they are impossible. Horrible.

Those employees WANT to keep the animals there, they don't want them adopted. Maybe they become too attached, I don't know what it is. Maybe they have stereotypes of what the ideal owner is?

I could almost go out and buy a purebred dog for what these shelters charge for a grown mutt--and then they won't let you have it anyway.

I almost feel like naming names--maybe these places would get investigated or something.

Anyone else in New England who has found it impossible to adopt a pet? Unaffordable and insulting?
PLEASE keep looking at other shelters and rescues and don't support breeders! Please please please!

I think most people have encountered rescues that are over the top ridiculous. I've never heard of shelters being difficult! I think in the NE it's like that because - from what we're hearing down here - people up north have brains and are good about spaying and neutering their pets, so there aren't tons of adoptable dogs up there. So they are more picky about adopters.

If anyone up there is dealing with difficult rescues or shelters, please contact a rescue or shelter in the south. Our adoption fees are a fraction of what they are up north and we can transport for around $150 to you. Usually transport and adoption fees combined are still less than a lot of the places up there. And we need the help and good adopters and are GRATEFUL for you!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM

140 posts, read 298,866 times
The perfect pet owner like perfect Parent doesn't exist.
Some of these rescues are crazy with their adoption rules:
Someone must always be home, this someone must be an adult.
Must have a fenced in yard, but can't be left out alone.
Crazy rules with children or other pets already in place.
What really matters:
Do you promise to take good care of this animal and realize it is a lifetime affair?
Cool, here is your new family member, have a wonderful life together.

Last edited by Offsetdude; 02-20-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM

The rescue I've posted about is in the south-mostly pure breeds-same few dogs listed as "pending" for month now.

I referred a friend of a neighbor before my horrible experience. She called me to say they required a HALF DAY home visit. She didn't respond- I had explained home visit would be a requirement but when she told me HALF DAY, I was stunned.

No more rescues for me-shelter is still fine here but they rarely have pure breed dogs so Craigs List it will be-and WHY isn't that as much of a rescue as any other?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM

Hopeful adopters LINE UP to adopt 16 Shih Tzus turned into kill shelter in Clay County, Fl.

My point-pure breeds don't need rescue by a rescue that then sells them but pays no taxes-unless there is age or chronic health issue.

comments, opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats