Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I believe when people don't want a home-check or a call to their vet that they are hiding something.

I really don't necessarily agree. I think that this might be the case in the majority of cases, but I also think that there are those who cannot tolerate anyone interfering with "their" decisions by "snooping around". I think that they believe it is all about them and their precious privacy and level of convenience, too, and not the shelter's need to protect the cat.

Of course, if it were a home appraisal to sell the house at a better price, they'd be standing in line for that invasive appraisal! Or a mortgage to see what their finances are.

But a cat or dog? Well, they don't deserve the same "intrusiveness".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
You are complaining because the rescues called the vet for references and you had to fill out detailed applications? Oh, poor you! Your attitude is that of an entitled person whom everyone should know, of course, how wonderful you are as a pet parent! I am not a rescue. I have adopted 4 dogs from various shelters and sanctuaries and gladly had them not only contact my vet, require more than one interview, require a complete application AND visit my home. The sanctuary who saved our last, now deceased, dog, in addition, made us fill out a 2 or 3 page legal contract that had been drawn up for all adopters by their attorney. I was so glad that they were that careful.

Your attitudes stinks and so does that of the many complainers like you who don't want to allow a rescue to thoroughly check out a potential adopter.
I don't mind the rescue calling the vet. I mind that they don't even bother to keep in contact, and that several of them called the vet and bothered them even though they had already aparently decided to silently reject us and it certainly isn't because of the vet reference. They know we are poodle lovers who will go to any length to get the best treatment for our babies. We spent $15k trying to save our last poodle who had congestive heart failure. They told the rescue groups that we were great.

I'm sorry I just don't like dealing with rude, judgemental, idiots, on a power trip who reject you on the basis of nothing. We were the perfect candidates to adopt a poodle. We have 28 years experience with the breed, my mother is at home all day, nice house with fenced in yard, good income, good references. If they won't adopt to us then noone could meet their standards.

I think many of these bad rescues need to be negative reviewed into bankrupcy because they are doing nothing but causing heart break for both the pets and humans alike. I wouldn't want to give money to them and most donors wouldn't either if they new the waste and craziness that goes on in many of them.

That said I finally found a few rescues I could deal with but it was clear to me they were in the minority.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
There's a beautiful long-haired tortoiseshell cat that's been languishing at the local pet rescue shelter (located in PetSmart) for several months now because the information the shelter requires from potential adopters is so personal and unnecessary that most people either do not fill in the info or use false information.

For instance, they request to know how much money you make and how much you pay in rent/mortgage, and to list three references, not including your vet info. Two of these references must be neighbors of yours. So what do you do if you work all the time and don't know your neighbors very well?

This particular cat is very popular and highly adoptable, she gets more attention than any other cat there and dozens of people have put in their names to adopt her. But 3 months later, she's still there, unadopted. Maybe the shelter feels they can afford to be picky but it's a real shame they couldn't find one family or couple who they felt was a good match with the cat. She should have been adopted out a long time ago.
That is bizarre - to ask how much money you make! (There can be some expectations in light of some worries that the shelter might have about a particular applicant who seems "shaky" financially speaking.

The references bit is crazy, too, from what you claim. Are you SURE you have this right?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I believe when people don't want a home-check or a call to their vet that they are hiding something.
The old only criminals should fear a police state argument huh? That is the kind of faulty logic these gatekeeps use.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't mind the rescue calling the vet. I mind that they don't even bother to keep in contact, and that several of them called the vet and bothered them even though they had already aparently decided to silently reject us and it certainly isn't because of the vet reference. They know we are poodle lovers who will go to any length to get the best treatment for our babies. We spent $15k trying to save our last poodle who had congestive heart failure. They told the rescue groups that we were great.

I'm sorry I just don't like dealing with rude, judgemental, idiots, on a power trip who reject you on the basis of nothing. We were the perfect candidates to adopt a poodle. We have 28 years experience with the breed, my mother is at home all day, nice house with fenced in yard, good income, good references. If they won't adopt to us then noone could meet their standards.

I think many of these bad rescues need to be negative reviewed into bankrupcy because they are doing nothing but causing heart break for both the pets and humans alike. I wouldn't want to give money to them and most donaters wouldn't either if they new the waste and craziness that goes on in many of them.

That said I finally found a few rescues I could deal with but it was clear to me they were in the minority.
Now, wait a minute. You spent a lot of money for your poodle's care: great. But you point blank refuse a home visit. So you are rigid, that's all!!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Now, wait a minute. You spent a lot of money for your poodle's care: great. But you point blank refuse a home visit. So you are rigid, that's all!!
I didn't refuse a home visit and both good rescues I dealt with did them. It apears you are so eager to defend these indefensible lunatics you didn't even read my post. It didn't even get that far with most of them but I'm sure most of those crazy rescues would have found something wrong there since they think they are god and their judgment is not to be challenged, and anyone who disagrees with them about anything is a terrible pet owner. Maybe they wouldn't like the color of the dog bed or the condition of the brick on the exterior, or the kitchen layout.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The old only criminals should fear a police state argument huh? That is the kind of faulty logic these gatekeeps use.
I disagree with your statement, a LOT. And I'm a Libertarian, so that should say something.

It would be "police state" behavior if every citizen were required to submit all of this info to area shelters to be assessed for suitability, and then forced to take a pet if the state determined that they should be able to care for one, whether they wanted to or not. That's the craziness you're talking.

What is really going on, is that an organization is being run for the express purpose of promoting animal welfare and rescuing individual animals from abandonment, abuse, and neglect. Often this is done at extreme expense of time and effort and money of the individuals who run the rescues (particularly the private rescue orgs.) The love of animals is literally taking every resource these people have got. And so they are understandably wary, they want to avoid any chance that one of their rescues will go into a situation where they will be abandoned, abused, or neglected, ever again. That is the whole, entire purpose of the thing. End of story. Now some of these folks might get a little OVERLY paranoid, which I think can happen when you've been witness to as much horror as an animal rescuer winds up seeing.

But it is absolutely no kind of "police state." At all.

No one is forcing anyone to get a pet from one of these places. And while sometimes I'm sure they make the wrong call...there are other alternatives if one is determined to acquire a pet.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
When I bought my Chole (bichon frise) in 2004, I would never had been allowed to adopt
a dog from a rescue or SPCA. I didn't have a fenced in yard, I was living in a townhouse
and had to walk her.
I rented, I was self employed, didn't make a pay check, but the community I lived in
allowed dogs, you just paid 50.00 more per month to have it.
Anyway, she loved her walks, she is the best friend I will ever have, and her breeders
were customers of mine, LOL, that is how I got her.
So now I own a single home, with a fence, but it isn't chain link.
I would still not be able to adopt of dog down where I live now.
You must have a chain link or wooden fence to adopt.
I asked at the Petsmart when I was there one day, not to adopt, I was
just curious.
I love my dog, she is the light of my life, but after my Chloe is gone,
I don't think I will get another dog. My daughter says I will, but I don't think
I will, there isn't another dog for me. She is perfect. It wouldn't be fair to
another dog to try to live up to.
But someday, if I do ever want another one, I will have to buy one.
Not that that is bad, no it's not, but there are just too many hoops to jump
through to adopt.
I feel sorry for some of the dogs that are killed every day because of the hoops.
Sad, but true.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Some of the people running these shelters are absolute nutjobs. The Mayor of our old town decided to take the town's no-kill shelter private, because it was attracting people dumping pets from a FIVE COUNTY AREA. Obviously, she had to consider that the people of her little town of 15,000 were not paying taxes in order to fund a shelter for the whole central part of the state. So, she took the shelter 'private', to be funded by indviduals/donations, rather than by the taxpayers.

Well (and this is per friends who still live in the town) the shelter people were serious nutsos. Pitbull lovers... their kids were car thieves, drug dealers, cultists... in other words, just total Jerry Springer Show material. As 'revenge' for something the Mayor did or didn't do, they sent some of their kids onto her property to steal her dying husband's beloved cat. Surveillance footage shows them torturing the cat before they even left the property.

If you've ever watched the Hoarder shows, you'll see the kind of people who often run/work in these places. Hmmmmm.... I wonder if the woman who dissed you has a freezer full of dead cats she takes out to pet and cry over. Or maybe she keeps ziploc bags full of liquefied rotten cat carcases?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It would be "police state" behavior if every citizen were required to submit all of this info to area shelters to be assessed for suitability, and then forced to take a pet if the state determined that they should be able to care for one, whether they wanted to or not. That's the craziness you're talking.
I was comparing the logic and argument not the situation.

Yea nobody is forced to allow a rescue group to dissect their entire life from their relationship with neighbors, to their jobs, to their home and have them sit in judgement over them and if there is anything in the potential adopters life they disapprove of, relevant or not, they tell them no.

Their other choice is of course to go to Puppymill front Petshop where they only test is do you have $1000. That is the most insidious part. People who want to do the right thing can only take so much before they give up. For example, It would be helpful if everyone sorted their garbage into 12 different categories to make recycling more efficient. That is just not going to happen and most people will just at that point dump everything in the garbage so they make it simple and have two categories, garbage and recycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats