Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:02 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times

Advertisements

Cat people, I adopted a cat from a shelter last week..as is common w shelters they tend to list the breed of animals oftentimes taking a guess if they're not sure, i.e. Every third dog is a terrier etc. My cat was listed as a dsh, but after looking at her for a couple minutes it seemed obvious she must be more Siamese- either she is **** half Siamese or maybe all or mostly Siamese... I think they lost almost all cats as a dsh unless a big fat Persian cat comes in where it's so clear.. just wondering if anyone's had a Siamese if you can tell me how he/she was compared to other cats? I've had a dsh a long time ago, and few years ago a calico.. never had or even knew anyone w a Siamese kitty. So far she is very sweet gentle, never resorts to hissing or claws even when she hated the vet doing stuff to her lol.. she can be vocal but in a limited way- she was "talking " to the vet as if to say "look lady I don't like being here " she doesn't meow meow like my other two cats, it's like she's quiet mostly but if she has something to say it sounds like talking if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
We had one when we were kids. Vicious little creature.

His meow didn't really sound like a cat-meow. I don't know how to explain it but we were told that's typical sound for them.

He used his paws more like hands than regular kitties. And if he wanted to get into a cupboard, he would find a way.

Fur was smooth and sort of velvety feeling. Eyes slightly crossed and of course, blue.

Not sure if that helps.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:31 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,853 times
I adopted a Siamese mix about a year ago. I cannot post the pic for some reason. At 2 months ago, the shelter labeled her as Lilac Point Siamese. She had her color points on her paws and tail. Then as she gets older, now she is over 1 years old, her full coat has patches of blue grey around her body and the distinct M on her forehead. She is actually a Siamese Lynx cat, a mix between a Siamese and a tabby. Her name is Happy.

I also have a brown dsh. Her name is Freyja.

Like most Siamese, Happy is talkative when she wants something. She will keep talking until she gets what she wants. And like most Siamese, since kittenhood, she remains very affectionate but picky about who she is bonded to. She has a lot of energy, plays by herself or with Freyja, it does not matter as she entertains herself all day dragging her numerous toys all over the house. She loves cuddles, plays fetch with her toys and has enough dose of a Siamese where she is loud and clingy but not too much. Let's just say she is my 5 am alarm clock whereas none of my other pets can even wake me up.

Freyja used to be hyper as a kitten but outgrew it by 7 months. She is calm, friendly to family and strangers, and quiet. She is more independent and not as affectionate as Happy.

It is hard to tell if your cat has Siamese blood in her. The blue eyes are usually good sign but not always. If your cat's eyes are crossed, more than likely she has Siamese blood in her, as it is a common genetic defect in the breed. Happy's eyes are blue and she is cross eyed.

Some black cats I had met had a Siamese mom or dad or grandparent and the genes didn't show. One key traits of the personality Siamese are famous for: super affectionate, can be clingy, talks a lot, loud, highly energetic, curious, loyal to family members and intelligent. These are the same traits you either love or hate, hence there are many purebred Siamese surrendered at rescues because some owners can't stand their talkative nature.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanks for elaborating on some of that... so, she was (of course) listed simply as a dsh... a lot of shelters list most cats as that and seems like half the dogs in shelters are listed as terrier so I don't take that as gospel truth....
She is white silver with some fawn color- if I could figure out how I would attach a picture of her.. she is very petite long and slender body,...has the longest legs of the three cats I've had.. she has piercing blue eyes not just grey blue but like a tanzanite blue but not cross eyed..
Her great (imo ��) personality is quiet but occasionally if something's going on she will speak up.. not random meows... she can be found on my lap as much as possible .. I know all cats are agile but she is more so than my previous cats-- a natural Houdini can wiggle or escape and just more expertise in kitty antics��

Old 09-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
We had one when we were kids. Vicious little creature.

His meow didn't really sound like a cat-meow. I don't know how to explain it but we were told that's typical sound for them.

He used his paws more like hands than regular kitties. And if he wanted to get into a cupboard, he would find a way.

Fur was smooth and sort of velvety feeling. Eyes slightly crossed and of course, blue.

Not sure if that helps.
That's interesting as some of it sounds like her but definitely not the vicious part-- no matter how much she dislikes something or someone (the vet for example) she has never resorted to scratching biting or even hissing... what she will do is use Houdini like ability to wiggle out or get away.. she has blue eyes but their not crossed..and although she's quiet most of the time when she does meow it sounds different than regular kitty meowing, it sounds like she's trying to talk- like when she didn't approve of the vet she looked at her .. she loves either sitting on my lap or hiding out in the kitty cocoon I got her🙂

Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
My last Siamese was quieter than most. That is, she wasn't always vocalizing hours on end. Generally, I only heard from her when there was a problem, like her litter box needed to be scooped or it was dinnertime.

She was very intelligent, like most cats who have Siamese in them. She was territorial! One night, she got me up because something was in the driveway. I turned on the light and scared off two teens who were just about to break into my car. Yep, she got kitty salmon the next morning.

I love Siamese cats, but I needed a break. My present kitty is an NFC mix. About the only time she meows is when she's stuck on the other side of a closed door. She likes to be in the same room with me but doesn't need to be in my lap: the chair next to mine is fine.

Enjoy your mix! Most have hybrid vigor and will live for years with few medical problems.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 PM

So the lap sitting is that a Siamese thing? My dsh hardly ever sat on my lap.. although my calico did at times it wasn't almost constant like miss Luna😇
Is this tendency to cling a negative to a lot of owners and need to take a break? Personally I love it, but I dunno maybe after months or years it might feel a bit smothering-- I just recently got her so far her tendency to plant herself on my lap doesn't bother me I think it's very sweet... I love her personality too.. in her own gentle way she lets me know or (the vet) know what she likes or doesn't like .. funny bc although she's very petite long and thin she's prettt strong, able to maneuver out of a firm grip the vet had her in

Old 09-02-2017, 05:55 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
We had two Siamese cats when I was very young. The two main things that I remember about them is their cry, which sounded like a wail of anguish as compared to a typical DSH cat ("Meow" vs. "Maaayyyyoooooooooooooooowwwwww") and that we had to find another home for them because they chewed up my mom's new vinyl flooring while we were gone during the day. Don't ask me how, because it was laid flat on the floor and secured with metal strips at the doorways, but they were very smart, cunning, and creative in getting what they wanted and expressing their displeasure.

I love Siamese cats and think they're beautiful but I don't think I would want another one. It would be like having a 16 year old drama queen around the house 24/7, lol.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Is this tendency to cling a negative to a lot of owners and need to take a break?
I work at home part of the time and "velcro" kitties can be annoying. There is a difference between one who snoozes in the chair next to mine and one who is constantly on my lap, keyboard, or batting at the monitor, as well as randomly vocalizing (chatting) about . . . whatever!

This is also why I adopted an older cat. I enjoy kittens, but their constant energy can be a distraction.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:02 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
Every cat, including every Siamese, is an individual, and I say that as an owner of about 30 cats over the years, roughly half of which have been Siamese. As a breed, they have had a bad press ever since Disney's overtly racist "Lady and the Tramp" came out in 1955.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats