U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:02 PM

8,830 posts, read 6,271,689 times

Advertisements

This is a really weird situation. Hi everyone, I have a dog and a cat, both strays but my cat has a problem and the vet cannot find anything wrong.

Please try to overlook my screenname, I'd like to leave religion in the R&P while I'm here, thanks ahead of time.

I've had my cat for about 2 years now, he was abandoned at an apartment complex where I was living at the time, and when I moved I had to take him with me, of course. Here's the thing...I thought he was a "she" until about a year ago, when I took him to the vet for the first time. Apparantly whoever abandoned him had him neutered, so that's why I couldn't tell.

The cat, Sheldon (who used to be Shelly until I found out she was a he) does not use a litter box, he lets me know when he needs to go out. Cool, huh? But once in a while he gets left inside when I go somewhere and he's had a couple of accidents, the last time in the tub.

When I took Sheldon to the vet the first time, I mentioned the blood in his bm's but they found nothing wrong. This last time he had the accident in the tub it was full of blood, like a dark red puddle with little clots in it. It's just not normal!! So I took him to the vet again, and still nothing. He's perfectly healthy, no worms, nothing. So they treated him for worms anyway, just in case. Well, there is still blood in his bm's, and if it wasn't so much blood and it didn't smell so bad I wouldn't worry so much since they can't find anything wrong....but there's got to be something wrong!!!

What should I do? Does he need x-rays or something? Has anyone ever had this particular problem? If he used a litter box I would have known about it sooner, but this has been going on for over a year now since the first sighting of blood. He's such a good cat, and I want to fix this.

Any suggestions/help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,972,566 times
Sounds like a possible colon problem,try not to feed him too much red meat(if you do)and you can supplement with aloe vera juice...it won't hurt and can only help.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,124,764 times
Is the feces muscus like? Diarrhea?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 AM

5,013 posts, read 4,992,483 times
From straining? Is he constipated? Or, has he been evaluted for irritable bowel syndrome?? I'd look at other symptoms, if any, that co-exist along with this and his general health. Look at his diet, too.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM

16,392 posts, read 30,697,184 times
I have a dog who had the smelliest diarrhea you can imagine - it's called hemorrhagic diarrhea. He has irritable bowel and takes a pill once a day to keep it under control. I'd try another vet!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Is the feces muscus like? Diarrhea?
No, the feces looks healthy for the most part. It looks kind of loose, but definitely not diarrhea. It looks like maybe the blood is discharged first, then the feces.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
From straining? Is he constipated? Or, has he been evaluted for irritable bowel syndrome?? I'd look at other symptoms, if any, that co-exist along with this and his general health. Look at his diet, too.
Nope, no constipation. The stool itself looks healthy. I feed him nothing but Science Diet dry food. I guess it could be irritable bowel syndrome, but why all the blood?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I have a dog who had the smelliest diarrhea you can imagine - it's called hemorrhagic diarrhea. He has irritable bowel and takes a pill once a day to keep it under control. I'd try another vet!
Well, that's the weird part...there's no diarrhea. The blood seems to be discharged first, then the feces. I suppose it could be a colon problem like the other poster suggested. He's a long haired cat, and has a problem with hairballs so that's why I started feeding him the science diet food designed for hairballs. But that was after the first time I saw the blood, so it can't be related to the food.

I've been going to this vet for years, and I have complete confidence in her. I'm just wondering if it's something that cannot be detected by all the normal poking and prodding, and might require x-rays.

Thanks everyone, for your responses. I never thought about irritable bowel or colon problems.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM

1,129 posts, read 3,304,706 times
Oh boy, this going to sound gross, but perhaps you should put the icky, bloody poo in a ziplock bag and take it to the vet. Sometimes it takes a visual to help the vet.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,372 times
Go to a different Vet. I just lost my cat 3 months ago. He was old though, almost 16! does he go around and "cry" in pain. blood means there is something wrong. trust your instintcs. If you want to save him, be prepared to spend lots of money. Sorry, i hope he gets better. I love cats too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats