U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM

6,558 posts, read 4,846,853 times
Thumbs down Not believable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Okaaaaaaaay, I'll jump into the turbulent waters and risk being bitten.

Not one of my cats has ever had problems after being declawed. They were back to running and playing within a day after surgery. No scars that I can see, no blood, no limping, no psychological problems, nada.
I have friends who have had their cats declawed and have never heard any horror stories from them about it.

Maybe I've been fortunate to have a terrific vet to perform the surgery.
I'm sorry but this is not believable. I also worked in an Animal clinic (in NYC) and got to see firsthand what was involved with declawing. Cats are not running around playing within a day or two of surgery because it takes at least a week for the mutilated ends of the toes to heal. There is pain and the cat tries not to move. Some refuse to use the litter pan for weeks afterward. Some keep bleeding. Some were left with a permanent limp. Some became withdrawn. I heard all kinds of problems their owners were having with them. Encouraging anyone to have this cruel barbaric surgery done to their cats is itself cruel and barbaric itself. Most advanced nations have outlawed the practice of such mutilation. The greed here in the USA will prevent that for happening for awhile........

I stupidly had a purebred Siamese cat declawed because I was young, dumb about such issues, and feared my son or one of his friends would be scratched. She was never the same and we finally found a home for her. It destroyed her life and the guilt for my ignorance haunts me to this day many many years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Thank you....I am very passionate about my animals and the care they receive.
And I don't have to volunteer at a vet clinic....I worked in a vet hospital for years and saw it all.
Amen sister cat lover. I did too. I saw some of the nasty results of declawing. also, it galls me when someone says their cats don't miss their claws. How can they know? Salving their conscience? Cats use their claws for more than self defense.

I would never recommend mutilation of a cat's paws. Other nations haven't outlawed the cruel practice because "it's not so bad."

Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
I dont know if its cruel or not- but I wish I wouldve declawed by Big Black Kat(Cassidy) with the yellow eyes- when he was just a kitten 10 yrs ago.
I have a helluva time trying to cut his nails myself, (he is very uncoperative) & getting him in the travel cage to bring him to the vet is hours of drama that I cant deal with)- -so Cassidy has nails like a grizzley bear. -Its OK though> he just wreaks the furniture,and everything else to keep them trim- -If I ever get another -I will get this issue taken care of when they are a kitten- Hell, he never leaves the house, so its not like he needs them to protect himself outside.
Is there ant spray that actually works when you use it on the sides of the couch?? Ive tried a pletheira of different stuff- none of it seemed to work
You need to learn how to get a cat in a carrying case. Upend the case with the door open. Scruff your cat gently and LOWER him in, let go and shut the door. Gently level the crate. Too many people get cats and are clueless as to how to handle them. As for your furniture..... did you spend much time teaching him to use 2 different scratching posts, both rope and carpet types? Did you spray him with water when he went for the sofa? Use sticky tapes on it? As a vet tech for years I learned people who complain their furniture was being destroyed did little to discourage the cat from doing so. Some simply didn't want the posts around their house. Some didn't want to spend the money on posts. Better such people get a fake-fur stuffed cat.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM

8,386 posts, read 11,588,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
A ban on declawing won't happen in the states anytime soon, seeing as one out of every four household cats are declawed. Last I counted, a grand whopping total of 9 - yes, *9* - cities banned declawing, 8 of them in California (which explains a LOT).

I absolutely support declawing - I have two cats, both of which are declawed in front. And I wouldn't hesitate to declaw my future cats. It's laughable when people who have never once seen the procedure or have any experience with it whatsoever insist on how supposedly "cruel" it is.

I work at a vet clinic, and almost every day I work with cats that have recently been declawed. NEVER have I seen any major complications from the surgery. Pain-wise, it's no different from a spay/neuter. And cats recover completely normal, barring any sort of freak accident that could happen during fixing as well.
Why do I think that this is a person who benefits economically from declawing and really doesn't have a cat that was declawed? Maybe I am just a little paranoid, but I call BS on this post.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Thumbs down Untrue or........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
A ban on declawing won't happen in the states anytime soon, seeing as one out of every four household cats are declawed. Last I counted, a grand whopping total of 9 - yes, *9* - cities banned declawing, 8 of them in California (which explains a LOT).

I absolutely support declawing - I have two cats, both of which are declawed in front. And I wouldn't hesitate to declaw my future cats. It's laughable when people who have never once seen the procedure or have any experience with it whatsoever insist on how supposedly "cruel" it is.

I work at a vet clinic, and almost every day I work with cats that have recently been declawed. NEVER have I seen any major complications from the surgery. Pain-wise, it's no different from a spay/neuter. And cats recover completely normal, barring any sort of freak accident that could happen during fixing as well.
I worked for years in a NYC animal hospital and saw the problems declawing can and does cause. Sometimes the damage to the cat is "mental" as it was with my Siamese years ago. And she was done correctly with a scalpel and had sutures. A nice neat job with little bleeding. She was never the same cat when I brought her home. If declawing were as harmless as you claim it was, other nations would not have made it illegal.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
And that is all it takes. People investing their time to train a cat/kitten to knead and/or claw the correct things.
Amen! All three of our kitties were trained in no time to use their scratching posts scattered around the house or their cat-furniture. A spray bottle did the trick along with clapped hands a the shouted word "NO!"

I would no longer think of declawing them to prevent damage to my home than I would to have had my grandchildren's fingertips with nails removed to prevent damage.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Smile I call it too..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Why do I think that this is a person who benefits economically from declawing and really doesn't have a cat that was declawed? Maybe I am just a little paranoid, but I call BS on this post.
I Also call BS on this post (and a few others). I worked in an Animal Clinic for some years. I saw the problems that declawing can cause. Some come through it fine according to their owners, many others do not.

I would say this person is benefitting economically from declawing. After all, the vet needs to make good money to pay her/his salary. Declawing is profitable for the vets. No one wants to be laid off.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 PM

13,382 posts, read 9,850,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Amen sister cat lover. I did too. I saw some of the nasty results of declawing. also, it galls me when someone says their cats don't miss their claws. How can they know? Salving their conscience? Cats use their claws for more than self defense.

I would never recommend mutilation of a cat's paws. Other nations haven't outlawed the cruel practice because "it's not so bad."
Oh I so agree. One of my kitties actually used her claws as kind of fingers to stab objects, usually food or toys to pick up or to pull things closer to her. It was hysterical to watch.

I equate it with cutting off a human finger from the first joint. It isn't just the claw itself that gets cut off it's the bone behind it. (Correct me if I am wrong I am not certain but I have been told more that just a nail is removed).

Anyone contemplating declawing a cat needs to think about that.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM

140 posts, read 207,361 times
I have used 'Soft Paws' with my 2 cats since they were kittens, and I think that they are a great, kinder alternative to de-clawing. I work a lot of hours so my cats are home alone a lot. It gives me piece of mind to know that they will not cause damage. Even though I have trained my cats to scratch appropriate things, sometimes they can accidentally scratch things (like my leather couch!) when jumping on or off, and the soft paws mean no punctures or scratches. Love them!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM

5,222 posts, read 7,585,539 times
I have declawed all of my cats. I have had zero problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats