U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM

13,191 posts, read 9,235,929 times
Quote:
Ummm no...I left town for a month. Never saw my cat after his surgery
You are being sarcastic right? When I say did you see your cat right after the surgery I meant when he woke up and tried to deal with injured paws.

Look, you did what you did, it's a done deal. You were lucky your cat healed and is fine today. It just could have easily gone the other way. But it didn't; I get it.

The point is, if you can't see the cruelty in this mutilation no one will ever be able to convince you it exists. I don't know what it is that would make a person put an animal through this and you can joke all you want; it just isn't a humane thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:20 PM

5,154 posts, read 7,084,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You are being sarcastic right? When I say did you see your cat right after the surgery I meant when he woke up and tried to deal with injured paws.

Look, you did what you did, it's a done deal. You were lucky your cat healed and is fine today. It just could have easily gone the other way. But it didn't; I get it.

The point is, if you can't see the cruelty in this mutilation no one will ever be able to convince you it exists. I don't know what it is that would make a person put an animal through this and you can joke all you want; it just isn't a humane thing to do.
Yes, I was being sarcastic. I saw my cat after his surgery. Yes he was in discomfort. Severe pain? No. You know who was in pain? My female after being spayed. Ya, I had her mutilated too. Or is that I didnt want her have kittens that would later get destroyed at the pound or other means. Look...you have strong opinions about declawing. Great...good for you. We are not going to see eye to eye on this, ever. So..you love your animals and I will love mine.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Yes, I was being sarcastic. I saw my cat after his surgery. Yes he was in discomfort. Severe pain? No. You know who was in pain? My female after being spayed. Ya, I had her mutilated too. Or is that I didnt want her have kittens that would later get destroyed at the pound or other means. Look...you have strong opinions about declawing. Great...good for you. We are not going to see eye to eye on this, ever. So..you love your animals and I will love mine.
Yes I will agree to disagree. That's all we can do.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes I will agree to disagree. That's all we can do.
On a positive note, cats are the coolest pets ever! I have two, they are like potato chips, you just can't have one.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
On a positive note, cats are the coolest pets ever! I have two, they are like potato chips, you just can't have one.
I always had cats in pairs or triplets until Her Majesty Gracie. She wouldn't hear of it. I tried a couple of times to introduce a new cat into our home but no go. She has been an "only" for 9 years now and she wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minervah View Post
i always had cats in pairs or triplets until her majesty gracie. She wouldn't hear of it. I tried a couple of times to introduce a new cat into our home but no go. She has been an "only" for 9 years now and she wouldn't have it any other way.
lol.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM

7,838 posts, read 11,739,552 times
I also have an empress Gracie who also will not even allow another animal to visit. This is her domain.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,443,055 times
fallingwater, minervah -

Good to see the you guys are sharing the litterbox again. I agree with you both.

Many of our cats were declawed when we got them. Some, we've had declawed. Not a single one has exhibited litter box problems. All use their toes like nimble guitar players, whihch would be unlikely if there were residual pain issues.

HOWEVER . . . I will not declaw future cats. Only as a last resort for cats so psychotic that proper vet care would be truly impossible without it. We had one cat that fit that scenario. He lived to 16 with a plethora of medical issues that would have been untreatable had he not been declawed.

I don't condone declawing, but I don't condemn it either. It's all about education and understanding that there is always an expection to the rule.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:50 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,913,228 times
We all need to condemn declawing. It is mutilation and has no place in cat ownership. If you have to declaw a cat, don't get one.

Defending declawing under hypothetical circumstances is simply rationalization. There is no way to sugar coat it. If you did it in the past, forgive yourself. As for the future, don't even go there.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,635,998 times
Well, I shall bang my head on the brick wall one more time....

DECLAWING SHOULD BE OUTLAWED FROM THIS DAY ON UNTIL FOREVER. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats