Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times

Advertisements

I have two adult female cats that I purchased at Humane society and they were spayed and front paws declawed and are indoor kitties.

I have a 4 month old male kitten that is also indoor and is sexualy assaulting my girls and he is going to get fixed. Have not told him yet. Question is we need to get him declawed also cause Candy and Smudge are getting scratched up by Little Bit and his claws. I was always told getting declawed was cruel.

Is this because they would not be able to defend themselves if outside and was confronted by another clawed kitty or is it cruel because it is a painfull experience all together. Also have to wait to six months old and he will have all tests to see if he can handle surgery along with shots. Total cost is high I think, which is 250.00 but has to be done.

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Oh, please, please, please, don't declaw him! It is rare that he would attack your other cats and harm them. I have 5 and they never fight with claws extended!
Yes, it is cruel!!!!!!!!!!!! If you ever saw the operation done, it would sicken you to your stomach! It is not just removing the claws, but the top part of the pad or toe. It is painful and beyond cruel.
Also, tests have proven, cats that have been de-clawed tend to have litterbox issues.
Please, do LOTS of research before making this decision. There is a reason why more and more states are outlawing this practice!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Oh, please, please, please, don't declaw him! It is rare that he would attack your other cats and harm them. I have 5 and they never fight with claws extended!
Yes, it is cruel!!!!!!!!!!!! If you ever saw the operation done, it would sicken you to your stomach! It is not just removing the claws, but the top part of the pad or toe. It is painful and beyond cruel.
Also, tests have proven, cats that have been de-clawed tend to have litterbox issues.
Please, do LOTS of research before making this decision. There is a reason why more and more states are outlawing this practice!
Thanks even though I have only one reply so far I am not going to get him declawed. I found a product called Soft Paws and it is covers you put on their claws to stop from scratches and they come in different colors and is cheap so will try this. I could not bear to see my baby in that kind of pain.

I just wish my other two cats did not have to go thru it.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
I have 2 rescue kitties and we just moved into our brand new home. So far they have eaten the corners off of the kitchen cabinets (they lie on top to scan everything), scratched our leather furniture up pretty badly and ruined an expensive wool rug. Still, I would NEVER declaw. You should know what you are getting into with kitties. They can be extremely destructive.

I applaud your decision!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
For anyone who wants to declaw here is my two cents. Do not declaw!! Actually I am surprised there are still vets out there who will do it. My vet says she does not know of any of her collegues who still do declawing as most find it barbaric.

Here is my story. Hope it helps. I made the boneheaded move of getting my cat declawed about twelve years ago. When I got her back from the vet not only did she howl in pain for days, when I took her to a new vet to get the stiches removed she went beserk in her carrier. Ended up pulling all the stiches out herself and blood spurted everywhere including my face and in my mouth. I have never heard an animal in such pain and to this day I hate myself for declawing her. In fact that new vet was so freaked out by her howling and all of the blood spurting that he threatened to report me to animal services. Now granted the guy was a douchbag but I do in hindsight understand where he is coming from. Of course I never went back to him but as I said, the vet I go to now who is incredibly respected in my community calls declawing barbaric.

Please people do not declaw your cat and if you know of a vet who does do declawing my advise would be to find another one asap. Would you want your nails ripped out of your skin? In some countries that is considered torture. Glad the op changed their mind. Your cat and your conciense will thank you.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM

to both of you! There is actually a video somewhere on line of a cat being de-clawed. It's absolutely horrifying!!
I have never tried the soft paws...but I hear they do work. It is just "a job" to get them on. A friend of mine uses them and she says practice makes perfect!
Putting out scratching posts, sisal or cardboard, vertical or flat, depending on what your cat prefers, helps tremendously. I usually buy the cardboard scratchers at Target...they last a good while and my cats love them.
For couches....they sell a smooth sticky back plastic that goes on the cornors of the couch where cats tend to scratch. Cats don't like the smoothness of it. The pkg says not to use on leather couches, but I did and have had no problems. Just be very careful when it is finally removed. They also use sticky double sided tape...again, cats don't like the "sticky"....but with my Golden Retrievers it acted like a hair magnet and I had tape filled with hair!
Yes, I agree, it is a shame your two current rescues had to endure the pain of the de-claw...but on the up-side, they have found a loving forever home with you!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM

305 posts, read 1,728,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
For couches....they sell a smooth sticky back plastic that goes on the cornors of the couch where cats tend to scratch. Cats don't like the smoothness of it. The pkg says not to use on leather couches, but I did and have had no problems. Just be very careful when it is finally removed. They also use sticky double sided tape...again, cats don't like the "sticky"....but with my Golden Retrievers it acted like a hair magnet and I had tape filled with hair!
I tried the sticky tape, putting in on both furniture and a door where my cat scratched often. It didn't work; she just scratched through it (it was also much more difficult to remove from paint than the packaging said it would be!)

We have a large scratching post that our cats use, and we clip their claws when needed. If you get you cat used to clipping when he's young it'll be easier when he gets older.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 PM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
It's a painful and un-natural thing to do to a cat....I'm glad that you won't do it to yours

Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,923,786 times
WE have a kitty that was declawed when we got him at 2 years old. I look at the bottom of his paws and it breaks my heart to see the scars. He is ok now but sometimes I see him flinch in pain and wonder if it is a nerve stabbing him. This is not often and our vet has checked him. We both think it could be from the declawing.

I worked for a vet for 25 years. Years ago it was more accepted. GAG They would put a tourniquet on the leg then take sterile toe nail clippers. Extend the claw out as far as it would go. Then hook the clippers way behind the claw into the joint and cut the end of the toe off. Would be like cutting off your finger at the first joint behind your finger nail. Then they would pack the wound with powdered , I think it was furacin, and stitch it or just bind it tight enough to keep it from bleeding, hopefully. Then release the tourniquet. Repeat on second front paw. I never saw then do all four feet. The kitties had to stay in the hospital for a few days and they would sit on their haunches trying to not let their front paws touch the cage floor they were in such pain and it broke my heart.

I would never do this to an animal unless it was necessary for smashed bone or medical reason. I feel it is just brutal.

Has any one tried the pedipaws trimmer yet?? Curious if it works.

Chris

Old 12-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
WE have a kitty that was declawed when we got him at 2 years old. I look at the bottom of his paws and it breaks my heart to see the scars. He is ok now but sometimes I see him flinch in pain and wonder if it is a nerve stabbing him. This is not often and our vet has checked him. We both think it could be from the declawing.

I worked for a vet for 25 years. Years ago it was more accepted. GAG They would put a tourniquet on the leg then take sterile toe nail clippers. Extend the claw out as far as it would go. Then hook the clippers way behind the claw into the joint and cut the end of the toe off. Would be like cutting off your finger at the first joint behind your finger nail. Then they would pack the wound with powdered , I think it was furacin, and stitch it or just bind it tight enough to keep it from bleeding, hopefully. Then release the tourniquet. Repeat on second front paw. I never saw then do all four feet. The kitties had to stay in the hospital for a few days and they would sit on their haunches trying to not let their front paws touch the cage floor they were in such pain and it broke my heart.

I would never do this to an animal unless it was necessary for smashed bone or medical reason. I feel it is just brutal.

Has any one tried the pedipaws trimmer yet?? Curious if it works.

Chris
Hi Chris! There was a thread running in the dog section on Pedipaws. A drummel tool works just as well, if not better and has alot more uses!
Only one of my cats will let me use the Dremmal on them tho...we are working on the rest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats