U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 PM

83 posts, read 184,136 times

Advertisements

This is my first ever post and request for help/info from ya'll. Please be kind.

I have 3 cats, one of which is a newbie. She is 8 months old but this is her first Xmas tree. We have been using the "squirt bottle method" to keep her away from the tree, which works fine as long as we are right there. Of course, during work hours and while we are asleep, she is obviously climbing the tree and selecting ornaments to remove and use as toys.

It is an artificial tree but I just bought it new last year and it is pre-lit. I would hate for her to ruin the lights and/or hurt herself. Also, I have many, many (we're talking hundreds) of ornaments, many fragile, on this tree (no tinsel, which is bad for kitties). I really don't want to take down the tree or not use all of my ornaments so I'm looking for some ideas on how to keep her out of the tree while we are not around.

I know I want the best of all worlds (pretty tree, no destroyed ornaments, happy kitty, good kitty, etc.). The other 2 cats are not remotely interested in the tree any longer or at least feign disinterest. It is only the little brat who is a problem.

I was thinking of maybe something like a baby gate or some kind of obstacle around the base of the tree. Or perhaps some kind of "kitty NO!" spray (if that exists). Nothing inhumane. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Bo; 12-05-2008 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 01:52 PM

732 posts, read 3,364,377 times
You can buy a spray that may act as a deterrent....You should be able to find it at any petshop. I think the tree will lose its novelty in a few days, though and won't be much of an issue after that.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,300,707 times
I think waiting it out will be your best option. The only baby gate that will stop a cat is going to have to be about 5 feet tall and even that won't stop a determined cat. I used to have a cat and he used to climb the tree, but it wore off eventually. We also placed a few ornaments we didn't care about at the very bottom and he liked to swat them with his paw.
You also might want to give him more toys on the ground to keep him occupied. Also, if you have kids, make sure they never spray the cat. Mine did that when they were little and trapped a cat behind the headboard. My son was so tore up the doctors in the ER didn't believe a little house cat did that much damage. He was literally scratched and bit from head to toe and that included the bottoms of his feet. So yeah, be careful with spraying a cat

Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM

83 posts, read 184,136 times
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

rd2007, I do not have children. The cats ARE my children. The water therapy is not too traumatizing. I'm not talking super soaker here. Just a little spray bottle from the dollar store. She goes near the tree and she gets a couple of squirts. It's very effective.

And believe me, she has lots and lots of toys. She has taken over all of the toys from the other cats plus her own. I do put unbreakable ornaments close to the bottom of the tree. I did that with the other cats too. I have found those on the floor but along with ornaments that are in the middle or near the top of the tree. I know she is climbing it because the bottom branches are trodden on and hanging down.

I guess I will have to let her get over it. It is all part of the joy of cat ownership! I thought someone here might have a genius Eureka idea. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM

531 posts, read 437,371 times
I had a new cat last year and just put up a tiny pink tree.This year I put my larger tree that is fiberoptic up fo a week with no lights on...no ornaments....she found nothing interesting about it....then i put on the ornaments...and turned on the ights... she's still a little maniac...but she hasn't touched that tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:40 PM

269 posts, read 668,278 times
uggh we are having the same fun with our 8mo old kitten, water ehh she would rather play with the squirts or come up and drink from the nozzle, we are trying to get her attention to other play(being really careful with a laser pointer), but she still finds time to take a trip to the top

hopefully both our little fur brats will give up soon

Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,300,707 times
ha ha, that's too funny to have a cat so playful that she'll play with the water as you squirt her. The OP's cat seems to have a domination problem. I wonder if the Dog Whisperers tactics work on cats as well? I know they work on my dogs, for the most part.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:48 PM

269 posts, read 668,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ha ha, that's too funny to have a cat so playful that she'll play with the water as you squirt her. The OP's cat seems to have a domination problem. I wonder if the Dog Whisperers tactics work on cats as well? I know they work on my dogs, for the most part.

funny yep she is a real character is she is part moose, not so funny, @ 10lbs! all the work to fluff the tree has been for nothing

Old 12-04-2008, 05:01 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,435,197 times
We didn't put a tree a few years ago because of a new kitten. Last year, the kitten who turned in to a cat and our other new kitten enjoyed it the first few days and then the novelty wore off. We have another kitten this year and we are seriously debating not putting it up because although we love him dearly and he's fun to play with, he's into everything.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,154,650 times
Luckily my cats are completely uninterested in anything but killing each other. If you call over to Locke Hill Feed Store, I can almost guarantee you they will have a solution for you--either something they sell or a suggestion to follow. Those guys know a lot about pets.

Locke Hill Pet Feed & Lawn

4927 Golden Quail
San Antonio, TX 78240

(210) 691-2351‎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or