Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Has anyone microchipped their cat? We're going next week to do our dog and are thinking of bringing the cat along. Both cat and dog are 4 months old. I'm afraid that it will hurt the kitty. I only know people that had their dogs done and am curious how a cat responds to it and if it's even worth it. She never goes outside, but things happen (maintenace guy leaving the door open, etc.). Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I wouldn't do it because the chips have been linked to cancer.
Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors - washingtonpost.com

Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
All 5 of my cats are chipped. I feel it is one of the most important things I can do for my cats to avoid having them lost. They are all indoor cats, but like you mentioned, there is always that chance of one of them getting out. Tags and collars come off...and I'm willing to take that remote chance of the cancer.
edit: sorry, guess I didn't ans your question. Yes it is one big honking needle...but I squirmed more than any one of the cats. It was done before any of them new what had happened. Nothing to it!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Both my cats are chipped. I didn't take them to get it done, the adoption agency I got them from put them in. The part I hate though is that they will not let me change the chip information to MY information... so if they ever get lost they will contact the adoption place. I like the chips, but that is a DUMB rule.

Ps. I have never heard of chips leading to cancer, but then again I have never really looked into it that much.

My point... I think it is a good idea.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Both my cats are chipped. I didn't take them to get it done, the adoption agency I got them from put them in. The part I hate though is that they will not let me change the chip information to MY information... so if they ever get lost they will contact the adoption place. I like the chips, but that is a DUMB rule.

Ps. I have never heard of chips leading to cancer, but then again I have never really looked into it that much.

My point... I think it is a good idea.
Depending on what chip you have...you can go to their websites ..for instance avid, will charge you something like $5 per animal....I have changed info with Avid and PetWatch...as we get tranferred around the country with DH's work.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:34 PM

283 posts, read 892,756 times
The adoption agency put the chip in as well. I had to pay AVID Pettrac $18.50 to register the chip to me. My cat seems to be fine.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I have had my cats and dogs chipped since the chips firtst came out. If you scratch the animal's head vigorously when its' being done, they won't even n otice it. None of mine ever did and it's a godsend when an animal is lost.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Depending on what chip you have...you can go to their websites ..for instance avid, will charge you something like $5 per animal....I have changed info with Avid and PetWatch...as we get tranferred around the country with DH's work.

They have HomeAgain chips and I have tried going through them to get the info changed, but they will not do it without the foundations permission, which they denied.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
I am about to have my kitten fixed, and they asked if I want this done. I decided against it, because the success of the program depends on a good samaritan taking your pet to the vet or local humane society. At least that's how it works where I live.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 AM

There is a current thread running in the dog section on microchipping...the yays and nays of it all...some very "different" ideas on the subject.
Chip my dog? Hell No!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats