U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 13,039 times

Advertisements

I don't like EverClean, Scoop Away and Petco. They are all dusty and even though Everclean and ScoopAway say they are unscented - they still have a perfumy scent. Yuk!!

Petco clumps break up too easily. Integrity is a great clumper but the clay itself stinks - now, that is one litter brand that needs some fragrance or something!

But TidyCat is the worst. You couldn't give that litter away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
I've been using BJ's for a few years now - it's unscented, and cheap (something like $10 pound for a 40-pound box). It clumps very well - and should *not* be flushed. You will clog the toilet that way.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 AM

295 posts, read 99,558 times
I use Nature's Miracle clumping litter and have since it came out five-plus years ago for three cats. No odor, light-weight, good clumping, although there is light tracking. Having tried many other brands over the years, this has been the best IMHO.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 PM

373 posts, read 109,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
We use a corn meal litter called "The World's Best Cat Litter", and it clumps remarkably well. If you are good about scooping a lot, you don't need to change the box out more than once a week, b/c the urine clumps so well, too. I do recommend a deep litter box, though, b/c it does get messy otherwise...the covered boxes are perfect for it, and there's no toxic, fake fragrance fumes for kitties to breathe in while they're doing their business.
Thanks! I have been wanting to try this. I live in a small condo with 2 cats and I really like the pine litters, but I need better clumping. I am kind of OCD about the cat box lol but I have never had a cat pee or poop on the floor.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM

1,911 posts, read 1,508,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I'm looking for a good, inexpensive clumping litter.

I've liked the Fresh Scent and the Arm and Hammer, but they are very expensive.

I've tried inexpensive clumping litter from local stores, including Agway, but I have not been happy with them. They simply don't clump well.

I have the new Feline Pine clumping litter in the closet, but I haven't used it yet. Someone, I think on this forum, mentioned that it doesn't work well.

I want to see clumps that don't fall apart. I want to avoid as much odor as possible. and I want litter that doesn't scatter all over the place when the cats paw it. (Maybe the solution to the scatter problem is simply a deeper litter box.)

The cats seem pretty happy with all of the clumping litters I have used, but I would think they prefer the litters that leave a clean box when the clumps are removed!

Any suggestions?

OK, this is NOT clumping litter, but with 10 cats we need low odor and ease of use, as well as no granules stuck between the cats's toes.

Our choice has remained the regular Feline Pine but with the sieve like box that is usually only found on-line. We have 12 of these boxes and love them and they save a lot of money in the long run.

Sadly, most Feline Pine users don't even know about the box that should be used with it. It cuts down cost and frequency of use and changing of litter by at least 2/3! I would not be using FP without this box.

Feline Pine Litter Box - Why a Feline Pine Self Cleaning Litter Box?

Feline Pine is nothing more than wood pellets, untreated, as you may know. I just learned that you can buy these similar pellets by the barrel and am going to look this up locally.

I like it because, well, yes, they do scatter the pellets when they kick, but guess what, they are clean pellets, and all you do is sweep them up and return them to the box. And since we use no rugs and only hardwood and vinyl tile, the pellets - and the resulting sawdust - do zero damage to the floor and the cats are not suffering from clay granules stuck between their toes. It's a very clean way to do litter. I have tried all litters and like this the best for multiple cats. You simply scoop up the #2 and it goes into the toilet, also.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM

12,507 posts, read 12,686,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
OK, this is NOT clumping litter, but with 10 cats we need low odor and ease of use, as well as no granules stuck between the cats's toes.

Our choice has remained the regular Feline Pine but with the sieve like box that is usually only found on-line. We have 12 of these boxes and love them and they save a lot of money in the long run.

Sadly, most Feline Pine users don't even know about the box that should be used with it. It cuts down cost and frequency of use and changing of litter by at least 2/3! I would not be using FP without this box.

Feline Pine Litter Box - Why a Feline Pine Self Cleaning Litter Box?

Feline Pine is nothing more than wood pellets, untreated, as you may know. I just learned that you can buy these similar pellets by the barrel and am going to look this up locally.

I like it because, well, yes, they do scatter the pellets when they kick, but guess what, they are clean pellets, and all you do is sweep them up and return them to the box. And since we use no rugs and only hardwood and vinyl tile, the pellets - and the resulting sawdust - do zero damage to the floor and the cats are not suffering from clay granules stuck between their toes. It's a very clean way to do litter. I have tried all litters and like this the best for multiple cats. You simply scoop up the #2 and it goes into the toilet, also.
I agree, love the product! The track rate is very low and with two male cats visitors say that they're surprised, as my small open plan house (1200 sq ft) has no odor.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 272 times
Do not buy Clump & Seal litter. It sticks to my cat's feet, in between his toes, in "clumps." This is the first clumping litter I've had this problem with and it is a big problem. I'm surprised he could walk when I found it. Now he has a urinary track infection. Not sure there is a link but all this started 3 days ago when I started using clump & Seal."

Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltons_Mommy View Post
Precious Cat is the best, but it costs more. But I unscrewed the cap off the Cat's Pride FRESH & LIGHT jug , looked at it, and said "hey, this looks a lot like Precious Cat - I'm going to try it". So I filled the extra litter box with Cat's Pride L&F and waited for the results. And my cat liked it! He happily (and repeatedly) used the box!!!
I think Precious Cat is worth the extra money because it's ultimately more economical. Prior to switching to Precious Cat, I was buying litter ever week. Now I buy one bag a month. It lasts longer. It doesn't need to be dumped out and completely replaced. It's the best stuff I've used for clumping and especially smell. We never smell her litter now.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM
KB4

298 posts, read 786,977 times
I second the recommendation for Precious Cat (we use Precious Cat Ultra). No smell, no dust and clumps very well. Since we live in the city and don't have a car, we get it online from chewy.com or petsmart.com for $14-15 for a 40 lbs bag that lasts for a month.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM

920 posts, read 371,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
We use a corn meal litter called "The World's Best Cat Litter", and it clumps remarkably well. If you are good about scooping a lot, you don't need to change the box out more than once a week, b/c the urine clumps so well, too. I do recommend a deep litter box, though, b/c it does get messy otherwise...the covered boxes are perfect for it, and there's no toxic, fake fragrance fumes for kitties to breathe in while they're doing their business.
I use this and it seems expensive but it lasts longer since it clumps so well.

You are right about scooping - I try to do it everyday.

I like how I can scoop and FLUSH it.

Makes it so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats