U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-28-2008, 11:59 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,219,913 times
Default How Often to Replace Clumping Litter?

I have used clumping litter for years.

I never change the litter unless it goes all the way down. Then, sometimes, I will discard the remaining litter and fill the entire pan with fresh litter. Sometimes I will also wash the pan.

I have readon this forum that some people change their clumping litter weekly.

I prefer clumping litter precisely because I don't have to change the litter! I just scoop out the poops and the urine balls, add fresh litter when necessary and that's it.

In actuality, though, clumps often break apart and it is hard to scoop up the remnants. When that happens, sometimes the remnants get imixed with the clean liter. That is not an ideal situation, especially considering the purpose of the clumping litter.

What do other clumping litter users do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM

626 posts, read 505,669 times
We're like you and rarely, maybe once a year, dump all the clumping litter and wash out the pan and fill it with all fresh litter.

Our cats go outside (cat door) all spring, summer and fall, other than if we lock the cat door for some reason. Winter....yes the litter box sure gets used....and scooped at least once a day. We're kind of paranoid about ever having a cat smell in the house. We ask relatives all the time if they can smell anything when they first came in....and nobody has ever said they could smell the catbox.

So I guess what we're doing works.

Unread 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM

2,361 posts, read 3,189,392 times
I scoop once a day and change out completly every week. I usually also clean the box with a mild antibiotic soap when I dump the whole box. Of course with multiple boxes I rotate which one gets dumped and cleaned completly so that I can let it get good and dry before putting new litter in. Of course I've been laid up after knee surgery for the last 6 months and DH has been taking care of the litter. He's not nearly as anal as I am, so the litter only gets scooped every couple of days, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't fully dumped it out and cleaned it. I might have him do that tonight, since the garbage goes out to the curb tonight.

Unread 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM

626 posts, read 505,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I scoop once a day and change out completly every week. I usually also clean the box with a mild antibiotic soap when I dump the whole box. Of course with multiple boxes I rotate which one gets dumped and cleaned completly so that I can let it get good and dry before putting new litter in. Of course I've been laid up after knee surgery for the last 6 months and DH has been taking care of the litter. He's not nearly as anal as I am, so the litter only gets scooped every couple of days, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't fully dumped it out and cleaned it. I might have him do that tonight, since the garbage goes out to the curb tonight.
Molochai....just trying to be helpful here. We've had cats (3) for a long time and have tried all different varations of things to see what works best.

We've determined that the most important thing is that the box gets scooped at LEAST once a day on a general basis. If you happen to go out of town for the weekend or something, letting it go two days now and then won't be a problem as long as you scoop it right before you leave and right after you get home.

If you do the scooping each day or twice a day the box itself really doesn't get dirty per say....and you might be able to reconsider dumping all the litter weekly and save a bunch of money

Oh....I should add. We have two litter boxes since we have three cats. And one of the most important things I shold mention is that one of our litter boxes is very large. We used one of those plastic bin type things you can buy at Target that you can use to store things under your bed....so it's low profile...just like a litter box. The large size is so much nicer for the cats to be able to move around and not have to squeeze into a small normal size cat box.

Just a thought.....

Unread 12-28-2008, 01:10 PM

2,361 posts, read 3,189,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Molochai....just trying to be helpful here. We've had cats (3) for a long time and have tried all different varations of things to see what works best.

We've determined that the most important thing is that the box gets scooped at LEAST once a day on a general basis. If you happen to go out of town for the weekend or something, letting it go two days now and then won't be a problem as long as you scoop it right before you leave and right after you get home.

If you do the scooping each day or twice a day the box itself really doesn't get dirty per say....and you might be able to reconsider dumping all the litter weekly and save a bunch of money

Oh....I should add. We have two litter boxes since we have three cats. And one of the most important things I shold mention is that one of our litter boxes is very large. We used one of those plastic bin type things you can buy at Target that you can use to store things under your bed....so it's low profile...just like a litter box. The large size is so much nicer for the cats to be able to move around and not have to squeeze into a small normal size cat box.

Just a thought.....

Well we are in the process of switching our 4 boxes into the Breeze system. We've gotten one box so far and it took about a week for the kitties to start using it, probably because it wasn't their normal clumping litter. This comming week, we'll be adding another one, and when the kitties start using that one as well, we will take away one of their old litter boxes.

My goal is to have all 4 boxes switched to this new system. It has zero odor, the kitties don't track the pellets through the house, and there isn't any of that dusty smell when we add new litter.

Unread 12-28-2008, 01:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,315,784 times
I usually scoop once every day or once every other day.

When it gets low I usually just add new litter on top.

I usually empty it out completely, wash the litter box, and refill it about 4 times a year. I usually just do this when it is getting really stinky or I just feel like it needs to be cleaned.

But yeah, the point of clumping litter is so you don't have to refill it all the time, if so, I would be broke! Kitty litter is already way too expensive.

Unread 12-28-2008, 01:58 PM

18,983 posts, read 19,726,634 times
All this discussion so far has been on what the cats' owners like. With four cats using two litter boxes I clean them out once a day and add litter (clumping) as needed. If I miss a cleaning I have at least one quite meticulous feline who will pee outside the box ...

Unread 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM

604 posts, read 1,346,175 times
I also totally dump and totally clean about 4 times a year. I use very large boxes (contractors mixing boxes from the home improvement store) and have 4 of them, and I'd never be able to afford emptying them totally too often. I scoop 2x a day, add litter when needed, and never notice an odor.

Unread 12-28-2008, 04:34 PM

128 posts, read 228,561 times
My boyfriend's vet strongly recommends NOT using clumping litter. She said she performs a lot of surgeries on cats who have ingested it. Made me nervous enough to switch back to clay litter only. Has anyone else heard of this?

I have five cats and scoop twice a day and wash everything completely about once or twice a week. Four litterboxes.

Last edited by devney; 12-28-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Unread 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM

604 posts, read 1,346,175 times
I have heard of that, but only for kittens under 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats