Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes, I do the same thing; her mainstay is Felidae kibble but I do give FF as a treat.
I also feed her real (boiled) shrimp regularly. Is she spoiled? Probably.
But the vet says her weight is good and she is a healthy kitty.
Boiled shrimp?? What a lucky kitty!!

I give the occasional bits of roast chicken, that's their favorite food I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
I have a neutered male cat who is addicted to Fancy Feast. He meows meows until I open a can. I don't mind giving him FF but he is very fat. If I don't give in, he would sit in front of me with a sad face and meows until he gets the food. It is very annoying but I just don't know how to fix his behaviors.

Do you have any suggestions?
Are you feeding him dry food? That is usually what makes them fat.

See if you can find some info here: Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM

182 posts, read 502,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
One of many sites that rate Fancy Feast as one of the worse foods on the market.
Bad Cat Food: Worst to Best Cat Food Ingredients and Nutrients
This web site also lists some Fancy Feast very highly 9/10 and 10/10 right up there with Wellness. BTW every Fancy Feast my cat gets is listed as 9/10 or 10/10--that's pretty good I think.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
My cat eats Purina dry indoor cat food. Only. Its all she's ever had and when I ran out and had to get a small bag of the other non indoor cat food from purina, she yowled at her dish but would not eat a bite. Then to make sure I got the point she knocked it off her dog proof shelf and onto the floor. (well, the dog was happy)

I gave her some tuna once. She sniffed and would not even approach the dish. After giving the dog the tuna, I had to wash her dish since the smell was still there. When I've had to worm her a few times I used wet food but only when nothing else had appeared would she try it. Apparently the stuff in the wormer agreed with her taste buds but she definately missed that nice crunch.

She begs for stuff like chicken but when she is offered sniffs and ignores it.

I think cats can be the most stubborn and habitual animals of all time.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
I swear Fancy Feast adds cat cocaine into their food. My boy just would not live without them. He now eats 5-6 cans every day. I tried many premium wet foods but he would just walk away from those. I think he'd rather starve. Does anybody know of a cat diet pill? He really needs to lose some weight.
why not open it..and just give him half a can? He won't know the difference . I have 3 FF lovers. Vet told me it's like giving them a cheeseburger ever time I give them a whole can. They have slimmed down a bit since I started the 1/2 can trick.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM

80 posts, read 687,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
why not open it..and just give him half a can? He won't know the difference . I have 3 FF lovers. Vet told me it's like giving them a cheeseburger ever time I give them a whole can. They have slimmed down a bit since I started the 1/2 can trick.
Oh yes, he knows the difference between 1/2 can and a full can!!! In fact, I think that cat is able to count. He knows exactly how many he got and bothers me until he gets what he deems what he deserves.

I just tried to switch him into a good wet food. He ignored that food and meows for real FF!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Oh yes, he knows the difference between 1/2 can and a full can!!! In fact, I think that cat is able to count. He knows exactly how many he got and bothers me until he gets what he deems what he deserves.

I just tried to switch him into a good wet food. He ignored that food and meows for real FF!!!
I can relate. I have 3 FF junkies. I too tried switching over to other brands..less fattening brands and they do know the difference. They even tried to bury the "other brands" like it was something that belonged in their litter box..lol. Spoiled rotten and I'd have it no other way

Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
I think the reason it is recommended for cats with chronic illnesses is because it is like crack and many cats will eat it even if they'll eat nothing else. So if you've got a cat refusing to eat (kidney failure, or whatever) and the FF works, so be it. That's how I feel about it anyway.

It's also good bait for catching ferals for TNR! Just a step under KFC or canned mackeral. I get embarrassed to be seen driving through the KFC window and mackeral makes my car stink.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,995 times
I never gave my cat Fancy Feast before and on Jan 11th 2009 i gave my 2 year old classic siamese male a can of ocean whitefish & tuna feast Fancy Feast. within less than 24 hours he began mild seizures which lead to seizures comming every 3 mins and some were grand mau siezures. He stayed the night in an animal hospital and they couldnt do anything for him. His name was Karma he was the sweetest pet Ive ever had and he should have had a long life. Instead his life was violently cut short due to a toxic can of cat food. Karma was strictly an indoor cat and 100% healthy.He was spoiled and showered with love. he was also great with babies. I just had my first and only child feb of 2008 and he was so good with her. I am very upset about this. Its never easy losing a pet. it was one of the hardest things ive ever had to watch. if anyone has ever seen someone they love or their pet have a seizure. imagine having them every couple of minutes.the vet gave me hope he might make it but I couldnt allow him to suffer anymore and i put him down this past saturday. he was part of the family and forever be missed. I am searching for another siamese kitten. If anyone is selling or knows of a breeader please contact me.I am hoping it will bring some joy back into my life. Since this tragidy ive completely switched over to all natural/organic foods for me and my other cat.thankfully my other cat is still alive because she didnt have any of the fancy feast.I only pray that this doest happen to anyone else. If this has happened to anyone else please contact me. anbraddock@comcast.net

Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM

124 posts, read 309,068 times
I switched my boyfriend's cat from probably 3 - 4 cans of Fancy Feast or 1 - 2 of Friskies when he lived with his parents to 1 3 oz package of Natural Choice by Nutro every couple of days. Not to say he doesn't run straight to his food bowl when I get home, but he's lost weight and doesn't scream for it. I would say, check with whatever pet store you buy it from, as well as reading the back of any can/package of any new food you may buy. Natural Choice offers 100% money back if your cat doesn't like it and so does the pet store I work at (PetSmart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats