Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,104,721 times

Advertisements

I stopped buying the Fancy Feast types 'with gravy' - these kinds look more appetizing to humans but are syruppy and would give my cat the runs. They are surely the fattier, less healthy kinds.

But the ground up loaf style Fancy Feast flavors are much better. My 15 pounder gets 1/3 can a few times a week along with his dry. It doesn't sound like much (1/3 can), but it satisfys him, he just needs a taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
I have a neutered male cat who is addicted to Fancy Feast. He meows meows until I open a can. I don't mind giving him FF but he is very fat. If I don't give in, he would sit in front of me with a sad face and meows until he gets the food. It is very annoying but I just don't know how to fix his behaviors.

Do you have any suggestions?
Out waiting a cat is NOT easy! lol However, an obese cat can cause diabetes and/or other serious medical problems. Just something to keep in mind from someone who has been there.

Maybe the next time you have a three day weekend or vacation time you could "teach" him his feeding times.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
I swear Fancy Feast adds cat cocaine into their food. My boy just would not live without them. He now eats 5-6 cans every day. I tried many premium wet foods but he would just walk away from those. I think he'd rather starve. Does anybody know of a cat diet pill? He really needs to lose some weight.
This worked for us to get our cats off of dry food and into eating wet food only. The hints and tricks (written by a vet) will probably work in your situation as well:

Quote:
Getting Dry Food Addicts To Eat Canned Food

This is the hard part. Cats, like children, often resist what is best for them. The two most frequent comments that I hear from people when trying to convince them to feed their cats a healthier diet are "my cat won't eat canned food" and "but my cat really likes his dry food." Children really like potato chips and ice cream but that certainly does not mean those food items constitute optimal nutrition.

The transition process often involves much more than just plunking down a new food item. Time, patience and tricks are often required.

One reason that cats like dry food so much is because the pet food companies do not play fair when manufacturing this sub-optimal food source. They coat the kibble with extremely enticing animal digest sprays which are very pleasing to a cat - making a poor quality diet very desirable to the target animal.

In addition to the aforementioned coating of dry food with animal digests, another issue is one of a crunchy texture which is very different from canned food. Cats are very resistant to such a drastic change in the texture of their food.

If you are convinced that getting your cat off of dry food is the way to go, read on for some tips on how to accomplish this.

The key is to do it slowly and with patience and incorporate various tricks for the stubborn cats. The most important issue is actually making the change, not how fast you accomplish it. I must say that my cats tested every ounce of patience I had over a 3 + month period of time during their transition from dry to canned food. They had been on dry food their entire lives and did not recognize canned food as food.

The single biggest mistake I see people make time and again is to say that their cat "won't touch" the new food and then panic and fill up the bowl with dry food. In many cases, it is simply not that easy to get cats off of dry food.
More here: www.catinfo.org

Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 AM

635 posts, read 1,680,782 times
the "screaming" for fancy feast - several said it, kitty crack reaction or like feeding them kitty Micky D's (nephew used to scream for mcnuggets the same way). My cats would do ninja kicks to get this stuff outta my hands! Don't know what's in it, but the litter box smelled like a 1,000 year old egg. When we had to switch to healthier food, I know I heard whispers of a coup d'etat in the air.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 39,038 times
From a Cat Food Snob: Fancy Feast Classics are excellent for your cat!

I have five indoor cats all ranging from 5 to 12 years. All rescues. 4 Females and a 22lb Male.

They drink distilled water from a DrinkWell fountain.

Over the years I have strived to feed them what I was lead to believe was the best food available. They've mostly lived on either Evo or Blue Buffallo (various kinds) for the last 5 years.

Before this I fed them Science Diet on the recommendation of their Vet.

After eating Science Diet for a couple years, one now deceased male developed diabetes. He experienced the classic signs of rapid and dramatic weight loss, insatiable thirst and hunger and increased urination. He consumed so much water it would just seep out of him as was orderless.

There were countless vet visits, urine samples, tests, diet changes, insulin shots and dosage changes. Seeing cat go into shock or nearly fall into a coma is frightening. He was dying from renal failure after one bout with his levels when I had to put him to sleep.

In addition, various cats have suffered from several other urinary tract issues such as cystitis, bladder stones and chronic constipation. I just didn't make sense.

I noticed another cat exhibiting the same signs of thirst, weight loss and increased urination. My vet is kind but wanted to pursue the same path we took with the other diabetic cat. This time I decided to head the advice of a friend with a similar experience and switch my cat family to an all moist/wet diet. Specifically to provide the following: High Protein, Low Carb and moisture!

Fancy Feast may not have an overall great reputation, there is one notable difference: The Classic Line of paté style dinners. Most notably the Tender Beef. If you do your research you will find it is considers a nearly perfect food for a diabetic cat and any cat for that matter.

I noticed a dramatic improvement in the diabetic cat almost immediately. The begging for water nearly stopped as did the urine seeping. She relaxed and actually slept after her meal instead of constantly begging for nourishment. It is that dramatic. By the end of a week, she was nearly perfect and off insulin within 10 days.

All my cats now eat the various flavors from the classic line. 2 meals, twice a day, 12 hours apart. No stones, no constipation and no diabetes. Less litter box mess too and much less smelly.

Hope this helps, sorry if I bored you.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,084,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESTAT View Post
Hope this helps, sorry if I bored you.
I'm sure you didn't bore anyone...except this thread is 2 1/2 years old and the original poster is long gone.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 39,038 times
Yeah, I knew they were gone but my response was for all the other people, such as myself, who found the thread interesting. Just adding my experience.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,766,574 times
I appreciate your taking the time to post. I've read before that there are some good FF but nobody , until you mentioned Beef, ever said which one was good. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,505,558 times
A coworker of mine compiled a list of the better FF-Classics, based on higher meat content and no sodium nitrate:

Ocean Whitefish and Tuna Feast
Tender Liver & Chicken Feast
Turkey and Giblet Feast
Seafood Feast
Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast
Tender Beef and Liver Feast

Cats eat meat. The only fruits , grains, and vegetables that wild cats consume are the undigested meals in their prey's stomach. Don't be sucked into the whole "balanced" diet thing that so many pricey brands are trying to sell you. Also - cheap canned food is still better than most expensive dry foods.

FF was recommended for my lymphoma kitty by others that had experience with lymphoma.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,753,281 times
My two cats (was three until Catfish died) share 2 cans of Fancy Feast classic daily. They also have a bowl of Taste of the Wild dry food available at all times. They are very happy and healthy and not overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats