Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM

283 posts, read 892,375 times

Advertisements

I keep my cat's claws trimmed and I keep plenty of scratchers around the furniture. She still rarely scratches the sofa when she walks by but I don't see any damage. Please don't declaw your cat. It is a painful surgery. They need their claws for a good stretch and defending themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Double-sided tape, scratching posts, waterpistol - 'nuff said

Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times
Don't declaw your cat, for if it accidentally gets out it will have no way of properly defending itself. If you keep their claws trimmed, you provide them with something to scratch on, and if they still scratch you can try soft claws:

Alternatives to Declawing, Nail Caps for Cats

I used these ONCE and my one cat that clawed stopped

other than him, they claw but never do major damage to furniture and the only problem I had was when he clawed ottoman. none of my other furniture has any damage....and I have 3 cats....

Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I have large pieces of cat furniture, but to be honest my cats do leave holes in my other stuff. But my furniture can be replaced, my cats can't. My cats do tend to scratch on the things they are supposed to (cat trees, cardboard scratchers), but like children, they are not perfect and sometimes get the couch or chair.

Please don't declaw, it isn't as easy as just removing the claw, the whole first digit of the paw is removed.
Agreed ! There are also claw covers that are available that can be used for kitties who scratch. They are similar to press on nails, and require glue to hold them in place. From what I've been told they last 4-6 weeks.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
When I'd do laundry and leave the plastic clothes basket out on the floor, my cat would jump in it and claw until her heart was content. It wasn't until after she clawed at one of my chairs that it dawned on me to leave the basket out for her 24/7. It's a great and inexpensive scratching post and she hasn't touched my furniture since. She also likes to play with her toys in it. We call it her playpen!!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I have had cats my whole life and have never had one that scratched on furniture. The trick is to have multiple types of things available.

Mickey likes to scratch outwards, so she has a sisal mat like this one Big Mama's Scratch-O-Rama™<br>(1 Natural Sisal Mat)

My MIL's cat also likes to scratch outwards but does not like sisal. She has a cardboard one like this http://www.shopfatcat.com/bigmasc.html

My kitty that passed away a couple of years ago liked natural wood for scratching. He had a small log that he just loved.

If you have a post and your kitty does not use it consider something that lays flat on the floor. Mickey also likes to "fluff the carpet" for me.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Luckily, neither our kitten or puppy ever got to be destructive. The cat uses her scratching post and will never scratch furniture. We never even had to use any deterrant to keep her from scratching. She's just more interested in the scratching post.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
We have 2 cats. They pretty much total destroyed an ottoman we had and so that became their piece of furniture. They only claw that now (and their scratching posts) because when they claw on anything else, we yell really loud and spray them with water. (Now we only have to hold the spray bottle and they run!). They have learned what is OK to scratch and what is not!

Please, don't declaw.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 11,589 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. It gave me a lot of fuel against declawing.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM

117 posts, read 334,475 times
I don't want to start a fight and I'm not going to get into an argument, so I'll just express my views and of course, anyone else is free to do the same, but I'm not going to argue back and forth.

I feel that declawing a cat is worse than removing a person's fingernails--it's an amputation of the last joint, and I think it's cruel. With my cat, everything in the house (including me) belongs to her, and she is more important to me than any piece of furniture. So if she were to claw something (which it happens she doesn't), I'd use some psychological conditioning, but not declawing.

It happens that I'm a musician and I live out of suitcases, anyway; furniture is really not on my list, though I have tons and tons of books, instruments, computer and electronic equipment, etc. But if I were to buy a sofa (I have one padded chair), I don't think I'd care. If she tore it up, it gets torn up, that's all. Having love in my life is more important than a stupid piece of furniture.

See:
The Facts About Declawing
DECLAWING: What You Need to Know
Top Reasons Not to Declaw a Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats