U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 AM

2,541 posts, read 7,818,885 times

Advertisements

do all cats inherently (in their genes) try to kill and eat rodents like rats or mice, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 PM

717 posts, read 726,228 times
Not really, from what I have seen its more playtime, the killing is more a side effect of that playing.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,836,305 times
I think the intent is to kill and eat. Or present as a meal, whether dead or alive, to a loved one.
Snakes, too.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 PM

182 posts, read 336,168 times
Cats are hard-wired predators, it's what they do (if they are allowed to). The wildness isn't entirely breed out of them as is the case with some/most dogs.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,759,343 times
All of mine do. They seem to love the taste of fresh mouse. All the cats I have ever had did too.

I have heard of cats who are inept at hunting and that if their mother couldn't hunt, they never learn how either as the fundamentals are imparted from mother to kitten within the 1st 2 months. But they still have the instinctual attention ot movement that is a hallmark of a predator.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 PM

3,691 posts, read 1,723,306 times
I think it depends on the cat. I've had several. I had one who was outside alot and she killed and ate everything she could catch. I couldn't understand this because I always left food and water outside and inside for her. So it must have been instinct.
I have a cat now who would catch mice and not kill them, just bring them to me as presents (EEK! I hate mice), then she would play with them and not kill them. And this cat was a homeless cat I took in and gave a home to so you would think that she would have been in the habit of killing and eating mice to survive before I took her in.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 14,070,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
do all cats inherently (in their genes) try to kill and eat rodents like rats or mice, etc?
If you socialize a cat with rats, the two can coexist.

This is why you have dogs and cats living in the same household and so on.

A domesticated animal will have a prey drive. So if a house cat sees a mouse, it will instinctively go after it and kill it.

But it may not eat it. Dogs and cats have to be taught how to eat the prey. So if your dog, for example, kills a squirrel, you would have to cut the squirrel up and show the dog that the squirrel is food.

I apologize for the example. I love all animals. But my dog (god rest her soul) loved to pick up road kill. But like other domestic animals, she did not understand that it was food because she was never taught that.

So to summarize, the prey drive is an instinct. But an animal learns from it's mother what to eat.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,425,211 times
Yes...my fat cat only attacks bagged food. He wont even kill bugs. He just looks at them with this "oh who are you" interested face and follows it and sits down by it. Especially since our one cat died. I don't think the spiders are interested though. Poor kitty.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 14,070,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yes...my fat cat only attacks bagged food. He wont even kill bugs. He just looks at them with this "oh who are you" interested face and follows it and sits down by it. Especially since our one cat died. I don't think the spiders are interested though. Poor kitty.
My cat Einstein killed a mouse once. It was a very small mouse.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 AM

5,561 posts, read 8,979,447 times
I've been a member of several rat and pocket pet forums and there have been members w/ cats that have not only peacefully coexisted w/ small rodents, but some that have even become "friends" w/ them. I've seen videos of cats and rats grooming each other and rats sleeping on cats.

plus, a smart cat wouldn't dare mess around too much w/ a rat; I had a rat latch onto my roommate's cat's nose with her teeth when the cat got too close to the cage. the cat figured it out and never came w/in 3 feet of the cage again. I think rats are a bit too big for a cat to mess around with, not unless it wants to get hurt!

I've always heard that ragdolls are especially laidback and can be good around small pets (assuming their socialized I guess). I figured formerly feral cats of cats that spend a lot of time outside would have a naturally higher prey drive than the typical pet cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats