Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times

Advertisements

how young can a cat have kittens and what age do they go in heat at ? i have to kittens a girl and a boy and i just want to know when i can expect this to happen. thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
They are all individuals, but every female kitten I have ever had went into her first heat right about 6 months of age. I have heard of it happening as young as 4 months. Cats gestate for 60-65 days. Theoretically a cat can have her first litter at the age of 6 months. *sighs at the thought of babies having babies*

Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Is there a reason you want your cats to reproduce? Have you been to your local shelter and seen the overpopulation problem? Unless you're breeding exotic show cats, with strict guidelines, there is absolutely no reason why you should have your cats reproduce. And from your question, I can safely bet that you have no knowledge of cats to begin with. Fix your cat. There are far too many in the shelters, and kitten season is just around the corner.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:03 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,925 times
MAK802,
got up at the wrong side of the bed today?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I was thinking the OP asked so that he knew how much time he had to get his kitties fixed........

Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Is there a reason you want your cats to reproduce? Have you been to your local shelter and seen the overpopulation problem? Unless you're breeding exotic show cats, with strict guidelines, there is absolutely no reason why you should have your cats reproduce. And from your question, I can safely bet that you have no knowledge of cats to begin with. Fix your cat. There are far too many in the shelters, and kitten season is just around the corner.

i don't need someone lecturing me about my cat's i just wanted to know when they went into heat. the two i'm talking about are only 4 months old and our vet won't fix the till their six months. this is the first time we have had a girl and boy kitten at the same time. i have seven cats that we have adopeted over the last 6 years and one that we have had to put to sleep because of FIP so yes i do have knowledge of cats. we have fostered more cats then most people have even had. i don't even plan on breeding them i just wanted to know so you don't have to be such a jerk and talk down to me. that wasn't called for.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_sk View Post
MAK802,
got up at the wrong side of the bed today?
Have you ever volunteered at your local animal shelter? I've held countless cats and kittens (and dogs as well) while they were being euthanized, then placed in the freezer to be picked up for disposal. The looks on their faces are some I will never forget. They are completely healthy and friendly, yet there simply are not enough homes. We got our kitten at 8 weeks and she came spayed. No place will release a cat that is unspayed, given the cat overpopulation problem. Why wait to fix your animal? A cat does not need to go into heat to be spayed.

And if your vet won't spay now, I'd find a new one. No reason why you can't spay at 8 weeks.

http://www.yolospca.org/content/education/early_spay_neuter.shtml (broken link)

Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 PM

i just asked a simple question and it turns into a lecture. the kittens we got came from a private person. the one that died of fip came from a shelter it cost us 300 dollars and we had it 9 weeks and we had to have it put to sleep because it got that from the shelter. so we would not get another cat at one of those after that. and my dw worked at a shelter for 2 years. i just wanted to know because we are moving long distance and it might be some time before we get into our new home and i don't want them having babies. so no more lectures about cats, i know what i need to and if i don't then i find out. thankyou everyone that didn't hand me brochures on pet spading.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:22 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
I got my female spayed before her 1st heat cycle, and she is a happy, healthy 12 years old now. (plus she never had to go through the ordeal of being in heat, which is great...) I know with males you're supposed to wait until the 6mo. mark to make sure their urethra is fully formed, but not sure about females...my little guy has to wait until March before I can neuter him.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i just asked a simple question and it turns into a lecture. the kittens we got came from a private person. the one that died of fip came from a shelter it cost us 300 dollars and we had it 9 weeks and we had to have it put to sleep because it got that from the shelter. so we would not get another cat at one of those after that. and my dw worked at a shelter for 2 years. i just wanted to know because we are moving long distance and it might be some time before we get into our new home and i don't want them having babies. so no more lectures about cats, i know what i need to and if i don't then i find out. thankyou everyone that didn't hand me brochures on pet spading.
You're doing a great job! And your heart is in the right place!

I think 8 weeks is too young to fix any animal. They should be almost full grown first.

Listen to your vet and thank you for taking care of these sweet little fur babies!

Woofers

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 01-17-2009 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats