U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM

418 posts, read 637,643 times

Advertisements

I need some advice here. I adopted this adorable kitten back in November. I just HAD to have her, she's so pretty! When I met her, she was very loving and sweet, just screaming for me to take her home with me...so I did.

This cat is like Cybil, I swear! She can be very loving (when she wants attention of course), but the other 85-90% of the time, she really is a terror!!! I don't know what to do! I understand that she's still a kitten (now 9 months old), but wow!!!

She is SUCH a trouble maker! She torments my other older cat (who is 7 yrs old) AND the dog!!! I have NEVER had a cat/kitten that acts the way she does!

She eats wires and anything else that she can get in her mouth, she shreds toilet paper, paper towels, paper...anything that she can. She scratches not only the furniture, but even the walls, despite the fact that she has plenty of scratch pads and posts. She insists on getting into literally EVERYTHING and she acts like she's trying to take over the whole house!!

There are some days that I look at her as she's skidding across the hardwood floor (claws out the whole way) and just think...I don't want her anymore. Then she comes over to me and starts loving on me, like she KNOWS what I'm thinking and is saying, "But look mom...I'm so cute and loveable, you could never give me up!" The sad thing is...SHE'S RIGHT!

Sorry this is so long, but I have to vent before I go crazy! How long (typically) before she'll grow out of this terror stage?? It's so bad, that instead of calling her by her name (Autumn), we call her Lil' Bi*ch...and she comes to it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM

24,671 posts, read 48,443,018 times
LOL! I just went through the same thing but with THREE terrorists, all dumped on me within a period of three or four months at different times. Being so close in age they quickly became a formidable cabal. I'd awake in the morning to find them all sleeping together around me like perfect little innocents but the chaos was quickly apparent. My clothes dragged all over the place, toilet paper and paper towels shredded into confetti and sundry items moved all over (some broken of course!) The "baby" is now 10 months old, the other two are her senior by 3 and 5 months and although they still have their mad moments, age has curtailed MOST of the destruction. Have faith - this too shall pass. Cheers!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM

29,594 posts, read 50,931,823 times
She'll (hopefully) grow out of it, but until then ... Are you clipping her nails? Disciplining her when she gets into trouble?

The evil person in me, though, is laughing at the idea of a kitten terrorizing the dog.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:46 AM

We try to discipline her, but she's oblivious to it! First, we started with just the "psst", and it worked very short term. Then we went to the loud had clapping, which also worked very short term. It works long enough to get her away from whatever she's into long enough for us to turn around, then she's right back at it again. We graduated to the water bottle...too bad mom and dad...I LOVE water and don't care if you spray me with it (she even tries to get into the shower with us). Then we added just a touch of vinegar...still nothing. She's immune to everything! I really can't believe it! As far as trimming her nails, we haven't tried that yet. Luckily, so far, she really hasn't destroyed anything of value, just paper products.

The dog...too funny! Our dog (Missy) is a 50lb. lab/shep mix, and runs from her...a few hooks in the nose with those claws of hers and that was all it took! They do play together, and when Missy gets too rough for Autumn's liking (she likes to stand on her legs and tail to hold her down), she lets her know about it immediately! Poor dog can be sleeping under the coffee table and psycho kitty pounces on her face in full attack mode! I don't know how many times the dog has banged her whole body on the underneath of the table from having the crap scared out of her...it is rather funny to see!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM

This is her...I think I attached it correctly...
Attached Thumbnails
New cat driving me crazy!!!!!-0220091258-1-.jpg  

Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,582,748 times
If you can wait her out, she will outgrow this kind of stuff, she is just being a kitten and doing what kittens do, although I do admit some of them are wilder behaving than others.. I haven't had any shredded paper towels or toilet paper since mine have "matured"..

If she gets to wild for you, get her a large cage and keep her caged at night (or keep her shut in a toilet paperless bathroom) and there are soft paws that you can cover her nails with to stop her from distroting your furniture and stuff. Do you have plenty of toys for her to play with? A teaser on a wand helps to wear them out or a laser light to chase.

I had TWO at the same time that liked to shred paper... anykind of paper!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM

She has TONS of toys to play with...hers, the dogs (she likes playing with the little pieces of bone that Missy has broken off...boy that turns ugly sometimes)...anything of ours that she decides has now become hers...lol!
I love her dearly, but MAN she is a handful! I thought the last kitten I got was a terror (which was a male)...he pales in comparison to her!

I still love her though! She's so adorable...when she's sleeping...and/or acting like a civilized kitten....lol!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 7,582,748 times
I have one that is a non stop explorer and she gets into everything! Her habits and ways are the funniest I have ever experienced in a feline.. I can see her sitting there, looking so innocent but hear her mind working and wondering what she can get into...

May I suggest you take a old purse of yours (a deep one) and stuff it as full as you can get it with her toys (a little catnip sprinkled in helps), then put it where she can find it.. I did this for my funny girl and she LOVES it.. You just pick up all the toys in the morning and re-stuff her purse. (See "Giving Giz her pill" thread if you haven't. I posted a link to her you tube video, digging in her purse.)

Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 PM

29,594 posts, read 50,931,823 times
She is beautiful!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM

696 posts, read 2,215,552 times
Awww, a Tortie! We have two and the youngest was also a wild creature when she was a kitten. I actually took it as supreme intelligence and we had 4 of her litter mates to compare her to. She definitely was the smartest in the bunch, and looked exactly like her mama, so it was her we kept.

I believe that all kittens misbehave. They are oozing boundless energy and really can't help themselves. But they all outgrow it and eventually calm down.

Just curious. Have you had her spayed yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats