Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times

Advertisements

Your little carnivore has meat-tearing teeth -- s/he wouldn't need you to grind meat. Cat dental issues are through the roof because their teeth are not designed to "grind" like a cow anyways. (Just check out those little "fangs" on your critter -- you'll see.)

Also, cats are NOTORIOUS junk-addicts. They are worse than even humans as far as addiction -- to the "additives" put on food the mainstream companies put in it to "entice" them. Restaurant grease/waste sent to the plants is what's used. So some people have quite the challenge of getting their (spoiled) "kids" off this "cat crack." Worse than a child hooked on choc chip cookies and McDonald's! Tough love may be called for if your cat's really addicted to the "crack." It's all on Dr Pierson's site Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

Good luck. When looking just remember, Meat, meat, meat! Maybe there's a Holistic/cat vet somewhere near you? It would be more than worth it to seek one out. They won't steer you wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmste View Post
Hi everyone! Please help! My cat is about 6 years old. He's always been a pukey cat, but in the last couple of years, it's been worse, to the point that he was vomiting 4-5 times a day. In November, after many expensive tests (blood tests, ultrasound, X-ray and endoscopy), the vet diagnosed him with Irritable Bowel Disease and allergic lung disease. Before his diagnosis, my cat was on various medications such as prednisone and amoxyl. These meds would work for a short time, then stop working.

After diagnosis, my vet put him on predisone (5mg, 2/day) and a special diet (Prescription Diet z/d dry food, and Royal Canin duck wet cat food). For 2 glorious weeks, my cat did not vomit, then slowly started to vomit again - once a week, twice, now he's back up to 4-5 times a day. In the last 2 weeks, he started throwing up right after eating, not even finishing the little bit of wet food I would put his medication in.

My vet recently put him on budesonide, which has to be specially formulated and I should receive in the mail tomorrow.

My questions are these: I am afraid he is not eating enough and can't keep anything down. What can I give him that he might be able to eat? (I tried various kinds of wet food, tuna, and even plain yogurt. At one point I tried hamburger and rice, but he didn't like that at all.)

My cat seems to have an extreme case of IBD - what else can I do?? I am very worried that this new medication won't work either.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Karen
I have a very barfy cat too. I think that it really comes down to a food allergy. I would certainly try a raw food diet if I were you (one is called the BARF diet, no kidding, and no pun intended. LOL).

There are so many *bad* ingredients in pet food these days (yes, even Science Diet, IAMS and all the other high-dollar brands) although a raw food diet is more expensive, it might do the trick for you and your poor kitty.

20yrsinbranson

Old 02-27-2009, 01:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
(one is called the BARF diet, no kidding, and no pun intended. LOL)

Biologically Appropriate Raw Food diet...

Old 02-27-2009, 06:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Just to clarify... People don't HAVE to make their own cat food to provide a healthy diet for their cats. There ARE healthy foods available. We feed ours Wellness wet.

Quote:
The ingredients in Wellness chicken:
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Cranberries, Blueberries, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Iron Proteinate (a source of Chelated Iron), Beta-Carotene, Zinc Proteinate (a source of Chelated Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate (a source of Chelated Cobalt), Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate (a source of Chelated Copper), Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate (a source of Chelated Manganese), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
Quote:
The ingredients in Iams chicken:
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Beef By-Products, Brewers Rice, Beef Liver, Chicken By-Products, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Guar Gum, Titanium Dioxide, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K3)), Folic Acid), Taurine, Salt, Carrageenan, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide).
Just read the first line in the ingredients of both. See the difference!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM

41 posts, read 448,161 times
Default limited ingredient diet

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Limited Ingredient Diets® Green Pea & Duck Allergy Formula Cat Food (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/DuckCat.html#Product - broken link)
my kitten was sick diarrhea and vomiting then
he was on hills i/d
I transitioned him over to duck and pea canned and he is excellant
good luck

Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Have the kidneys checked before going the all meat route. High protien diets can shut down the kidneys.

We had a cat that developed a severe vomitting problem. We tried everything. Every vet had a different diagnosis. Every vet had a different diet. We tried them all. But if she wouldn't eat it - it didn't do her any good. And if she ate it, we'd watch for about a month and if she was still vomitting, we'd try something different.

Eventually, we just gave her what she liked to eat. We covered the carpets with plastic and bought a lot a paper towels and spray cleaner.

Our biggest battle was keeping her hydrated, so we learned to give subcutaneous fluids. In spite of her condition, she was a happy purring little ball of fur. Extremely inconvenient, but wonderfully adorable.

She eventually passed away from a condition unrelated to the vomitting.

Try the suggestions - but understand that this may be something you all have to live with.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,253 times
this is nuts , i read some of those links the pages were as mile long, I don't wanna get my phd in feline nutrition I just wanna know what kind of food to buy so my cat will quit vomiting, & dont give me this BS about making your own with turkey chicken & rabbit, if I could afford those I'd eat them myself, (lunch today was a tv dinner $0.88 & dinner was a $0.29 microwave burrito), please someone just give a simple answer ,,WHAT BRAND???

Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4guy View Post
this is nuts , i read some of those links the pages were as mile long, I don't wanna get my phd in feline nutrition I just wanna know what kind of food to buy so my cat will quit vomiting, & dont give me this BS about making your own with turkey chicken & rabbit, if I could afford those I'd eat them myself, (lunch today was a tv dinner $0.88 & dinner was a $0.29 microwave burrito), please someone just give a simple answer ,,WHAT BRAND???
Has your cat been to the vet to have the vomiting diagnosed?

Feed your cat a canned grain free diet. There are quite a few brands to choose from.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 AM

41 posts, read 448,161 times
Exclamation symptoms of pancreatitis

Feline Pancreatitis Symptoms, Treatment | Diet, Test For Feline Pancreatitis | Pet Blogs, Pet Health Care Advice, Symptoms | Pet Care Tips, Info
there is a blood test
this may not be a correct diagnosis
by all means GO TO THE VET
its the animals LIFE

Old 09-30-2011, 10:19 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4guy View Post
please someone just give a simple answer ,,WHAT BRAND???
Best foods on limited budget:

Fancy Feast Classics
Target tends to have best prices - they also have coupons

Trader Joe cat food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats