U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,501,831 times
Every cat is a different ballgame, just like with people. I've had enough sweet boys and girls. I would back up the advice that a boy and a girl is a good combo, and that two girls isn't the best. It might not always be true but it has been for me. The two girls I have now battle all the time. One stalks the other, hides around corners, and when the other one shows up she just beats up on her. She chases her up the stairs all the time. She got used to being the only one in the house, and now that she has a "sister," she's extremely jealous.

So I would say if one had the choice when getting two cats at the same time, get a boy and a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM

9,714 posts, read 23,366,467 times
I agree with the above poster. Just like humans, they all have different personalities. Take 10 cats and you'll get degree of different personalities. I have 5....3 females and 2 males. 2 of the females are velcro kitties...I sit, at least one of them is in my lap. But don't dare try and hold or pick one of them up...hates to be restrained...the other will lie like a baby in my arms for as long as I'm willing. The 2 males loved to be loved..but again, one always needs to be touching, but not a lap cat...the other will smoother me if given the chance, he needs to be so close. All, get along just fine...never ever have a "cat fight".

Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM

10,593 posts, read 21,919,505 times
My little boy kitty named Henry is laying across my ample bosom, relaxed like its supposed to be this way. Luckily he is laying down far enough that I can see the computer sitting on my lap. If he wants to lay on me and I am not in the correct position, he will walk around the house crying, he is part Siamese so I sometimes wonder if the neighbors don't think I am killing a baby over here. I love all cats, male and female, even if they don't like me but the ones that love me back LIKE I LIKE IT, are my boys.

We have one female cat named Lacey who wants to lay in my bed but dosesn't want me to hold her. Well my bed, my rules. I get to hold and pet any cat who is in my bed. She is either going to have to adjust or find another place to sleep.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM

66 posts, read 138,591 times
I love all cats, but I must say in my experience males are more affectionate and loving. Growing up we had a male cat and he was the best cat ever. His name was Kitty and he would sleep in the bed with me and curl up with me on the couch. He died when I was about 18 and we got two females both great cats but not very affecionate. They would sit on the couch but not in your lap and sleep on the bed but only at the bottom. Now I have one male cat and he is exactly like the male I had as a child very sweet and loving. I wonder if having a single cat versus multiple cats makes a diffrence as to how affectionate they are .

Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM

1,129 posts, read 3,229,106 times
My last group consisted of 3 females and one male. Despite two females not getting along, everyone seemed fine. The group I have now, 4 females, has 2 litter mates who love each other to death, one girl, Zoey, has issues but seems to be doing better, and then there is our overly agressive, wanna be alpha cat, Mimi. We have to isolate Mimi from time to time because she picks on Gumbo when she is in a mood. I'd say each had/had his/her own personality and it depended on the individual more than the gender imo.

You know I've never had just one cat for any length of time, but it would be interesting to see how single cat homes compare with multiple cat homes.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 AM

128 posts, read 256,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiogrl View Post
I love all cats, but I must say in my experience males are more affectionate and loving. Growing up we had a male cat and he was the best cat ever. His name was Kitty and he would sleep in the bed with me and curl up with me on the couch. He died when I was about 18 and we got two females both great cats but not very affecionate. They would sit on the couch but not in your lap and sleep on the bed but only at the bottom. Now I have one male cat and he is exactly like the male I had as a child very sweet and loving. I wonder if having a single cat versus multiple cats makes a diffrence as to how affectionate they are .
Not in my experience. If I sit on the floor, my males will ALL climb all over me, roll onto their backs, rub themselves against me. When the dog's not in the room, I'm covered by four cats all night in the bed. The female will occasionally sleep at the bottom, but usually in the corner of the room.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,199,973 times
Our male does seem to love EVERYONE, whereas the females have a favorite person.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,677,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
My experience has been that the males tend to be more affectionate than the females although the females can be just as if not more.
Hmmm... I have the opposite situation. My two first kitties were/are female, and they were/are both very affectionate.

I now have a 6.5 month old male and he's not affectionate at all. I am having a huge problem with him biting me when I go to touch him. He's a rescue kitty, and I am very good to him. He's been to the vet and she says to "hang in there, hopefully he'll grow out of it".

He also harrasses my female cat, but I think it's in the obnoxious little brother way. I do think he is trying to become the alpha cat in the house, and it drives me crazy.

I just got him fixed last week hoping he would calm down, but he's not changed at all.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM

9,714 posts, read 23,366,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Hmmm... I have the opposite situation. My two first kitties were/are female, and they were/are both very affectionate.

I now have a 6.5 month old male and he's not affectionate at all. I am having a huge problem with him biting me when I go to touch him. He's a rescue kitty, and I am very good to him. He's been to the vet and she says to "hang in there, hopefully he'll grow out of it".

He also harrasses my female cat, but I think it's in the obnoxious little brother way. I do think he is trying to become the alpha cat in the house, and it drives me crazy.

I just got him fixed last week hoping he would calm down, but he's not changed at all.
It takes a while for the body to be completely rid of those hormones. Waaaaaaaaay longer than a week!
Some cats are just meant to be lap cats or cuddlers, others not so much. I have one female now, who loves to climb into our laps...but you can be sure, it had better be when she is good and ready. Another female, who I can't keep out of my lap.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,524,507 times
I have a male and a female and they love each other. Carly (the girl) acts just like a momma cat to Bubba (the boy). They will sleep together, play together, and sometimes I will even catch them cleaning each other As far as I know boy kitty + girl kitty = great relationship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats