Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times

Advertisements

My neighbor has five indoor/outdoor cats with a cat door, so they are in and out at any time of the day or night. Three males are not fixed and one of those has really become a nuisance.

This cat is very territorial and aggressive to the others on our street. For some reason, it doesn't fight with my cat, though. I have a spayed female who goes out during the day when we are home. I used to leave the garage door open a crack so that she could come in during the day, but that other cat kept coming in and making a mess.

This other cat sprays around my doorways and will go into my garage and spray everywhere. With two kids, bikes, trikkes, skateboards and skates, the garage door gets opened alot and this cat just keeps coming in.

Yesterday I scrubbed the floor downwith Clorox Clean-up AGAIN and see that he has even sprayed on the bag that our Christmas tree is in.

Short of trapping him and taking him away, what can I do? The woman is very old and has refused to do anything about him- won't even get the three neutered. None have been tested for feliene leukemia either, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 AM

11,364 posts, read 24,317,763 times
I think the cat should just quietly disappear, regardless. Odds are, he will on his own. Unneutered male cats don't last that long.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:09 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,337,578 times
http://www.lovethatcat.com/stfl.html

Not sure if the above can help point you in the right direction.
Maybe the old lady cannot afford to have the cats fixed.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:01 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
Does your township have any regs on this?

Old 03-25-2007, 12:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Does your township have any regs on this?
I called the city and was told that five cats was nothing.... she has been in the hospital & rehab for 6 weeks- has the five cats in the house and a puppy has been in a crate, walked twice a day by a neighbor. Three of the cats and the puppy were strays. It's so sad- that puppy is in the crate in a totally silent house.

The puppy got out once and was picked up by animal control. They would't give it back until she had it spayed, so at least it's fixed now. But when you see it out being walked, you can see it getting more and more stir crazy. It urinates all over when people come up to pet it. People are so cruel. They think they are doing something good. I told them that she would keep it until it got big, then the woman would die and then nobody would want it. Now is when it is cute and has a chance of being adopted.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:03 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times
<groan>
I hate stuff like this. That poor puppy. Being crated is okay, but it needs attention, training, and socialization.
I saw another dog lying off the side of Hwy 98 yesterday. Animal life can be cheap in Florida.
In your position, Hereinfla, I would be mighty tempted to trap that tomcat and take him to be neutered. But even if I had the gumption to do it, it would be much easier said than done.
My brother once had a neighbor's cat who hung out a lot around their garage. I don't think he sprayed or anything like that, they did not consider him a nuisance. Anyway, one day my brother found the cat had been somehow trapped, and strangled, on the inside corner of the opened garage door--he was dead, with scratch marks where he'd struggled.
I am not exactly what took place, but this was one kitty whose 9 lives had run out.
They felt bad but what could they do or say; it's the nature of the game with cats that go out. (And I say this as a cat owner who formerly let my cats out.)

Old 03-25-2007, 01:59 PM

66 posts, read 376,115 times
Ellie-don't think your suggestion is very helpful or kind!
Hereinfla-maybe you can call animal control or other city agency and make a complaint? Sounds like the elderly woman needs some help with the animals as she cannot handle them

Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM

282 posts, read 1,260,835 times
Like cil, I hate hearing about stuff like this. Unless a person is a breeder, there is absolutely no reason for them to have an unspayed/unneutered pet. If this lady can't afford to have them fixed, there are programs that will help.

My concern for you and your animals, is that if these cats haven't been fixed, have they at least been getting their shots? If these cats are running around unprotected, something really does need to be done. The local Humane Society might be able to help.

As for the puppy, that's just sad. That puppy needs to go to a family that will give it the love and attention it needs.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:24 PM

73 posts, read 402,409 times
It sounds like you could solve most of your problems by keeping your own cat indoors. It's much safer for them, anyway.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,666,547 times
Does it have a collar?

If not, perhaps there's an area SPCA who can come pick it up as a "stray"? SPCAs try to adopt out animals they pick up when not claimed (and hopefully, that woman will just think he ran away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats