U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 AM

244 posts, read 362,884 times
Default Canned Food-How much is enough?

So, I'm super excited both kitties took to canned food so well. I am also excited about the fact that the Ella has lost weight so now she actually plays! I caught her in a big paper bag last night squirming around with her favorite toy. When she was a chubby butt she just sorta laid around. It is amazing what a good diet will do for all species.

Anyways, can anyone tell me how much I should be feeding them? The recommendation on the can seems like it would be too much. Currently I split one 5.5 ounce can between both of them in the morning and evening. By 9 at night they are screaming at me for more food. Do you think they are really hungry? They don't behave like this towards my husband. He says its cause they know I will give them more. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 PM

9,714 posts, read 23,355,852 times
To me, that sounds like plenty....I split a 12.5 ounce can between 5...twice a day...and they appear to be happy. At first, they howled at me constantly...like I was starving them to death...but it has been 4-5 months now, we are on straight wet food and they seem fine with it.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,942,423 times
I think you are right on point with the amount you are feeding them. I am so happy to hear they are doing so well, getting in shape & losing the extra weight...good job!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 PM

4,259 posts, read 6,995,496 times
Cats will ALWAYS howl for more. Well, unless they're mine who pretty much turn up their noses at anything I put out for them until they realise that no, Scottish smoked salmon and Beluga caviar are not on the menu tonight! Then they grudgingly dig in.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 AM

1,397 posts, read 2,198,185 times
Good job as to feeding your cats wet food!!! It is always wonderful to hear of people feeding their cats appropriately.

From my experience, wet food that has more natural ingredients seem to suggestion much smaller portions over the wet food with unidentifiable ingredients.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,865,552 times
Our 3 yr old cat has always ate canned food. It gets fed twice a day and doesn't finish the whole can. It will eat about 2/3rds of the can and then leave it.
It is healthy and active.
When the cat leaves the can, the dog finishes it. (Like a treat) I don't keep the dog from eating what the cat don't. The vet says the fish oil in the cat food makes the dogs coat shiny.
He might be right since the dog is a black Lab/mix and her coat is very glossy.
Of course the dog has it's own food also.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 AM

604 posts, read 1,498,544 times
I have read 4-6 ounces per day (fat cats on the lower end of that scale, thin cats on the upper end) split between 2-3 feedings per day. My tabby has been losing weight on her canned-only diet too and it is great!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM

I love this site People are so kind, such a rarity. Thank you for relieving my fear of starving my babes. They are pretty adamant, so I feel like I can breathe easy when they start crying tonight. The calico/siamese mix Ella is the worst because of how well she vocalizes. I swear she sang me a song about hunger pains the other night. lol. Thanks again.

btw I am feeding them a combo of salmon, chicken, and ocean fish- Pet Promise brand

Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Cats will ALWAYS howl for more. Well, unless they're mine who pretty much turn up their noses at anything I put out for them until they realise that no, Scottish smoked salmon and Beluga caviar are not on the menu tonight! Then they grudgingly dig in.

haha, I hear you on the salmon bit. Ella is like "Mommy, salmon only please, give the other bits to Olive."

Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM

4,259 posts, read 6,995,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
haha, I hear you on the salmon bit. Ella is like "Mommy, salmon only please, give the other bits to Olive."
I wouldn't mind except when I do offer them something special like a little bacon or fresh fish, they sniff it, push it around on the kitchen floor for a bit and the wander off to do something else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats