U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM

44 posts, read 117,861 times
Exclamation Cat died...why?

My cat died today and I want to know why.

For the past half year my cat has been throwing up lots of hairballs and losing weight. Her appetite also wasn't always the best. She seemed to go through phases. About two weeks ago I found her laying in her pee, her head was jerking, and her eyes were twitching. She also couldn't focus her eyes on anything and she seemed really weak. For a couple hours it sounded like she had problems breathing and swallowing.

After her 'episode' she seemed a little more clumsy and one of her rear legs seemed to always lag behind a bit. That lasted about a week and then she seemed to be at about 95% of what she used to be. I thought she would be fine. Today she let out this awful noise and I found her laying in her pee. Her tongue was sticking out of her mouth and her body was completely flaced. Her pupils were dilated and about every 10 seconds she'd let out this awful noise yet her stomach was still rising and falling at a little higher than her normal rate. Eventually her stomach stopped rising and falling....she then made a couple more of those awful sounds and that was that....can anyone please tell me what happened? Autopsies are too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,152,448 times
Did you take her/him to a Vet??

Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 PM

24,226 posts, read 28,505,746 times
I'm sorry about your cat. Take care.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,123,282 times
That's horrible. I hope you took the cat to a vet. It seems likely that the vet would have either found a way to help the cat or euthanized her. No animal should have to die like that.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:08 PM

128 posts, read 245,013 times
You don't mention taking the cat to the vet. He/she may have been able to tell you WHY the cat was sick -- and her death may have been prevented.

I am sorry for you loss, though. Poor kitty.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:49 PM

15,926 posts, read 27,790,964 times
Sounds like the 1st one was a stroke. How old was your kitty? The last one could also be a stroke, or a seizure. That's a bad way to die.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,069,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Sounds like the 1st one was a stroke. How old was your kitty? The last one could also be a stroke, or a seizure. That's a bad way to die.
Sounds like a stroke as well.........

Someone I knew lost an old Siamese that way as well: he had what appeared to be a minor stroke (tilted head, etc) but looked OK a few days later........then the poor thing had a bigger one which laid him out (squirming, unable to stand).

Took the cat to the vet and had him put to sleep. In all fairness, cat was 13 years old.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

44 posts, read 117,861 times
They think it was a stroke. :-(

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM

606 posts, read 946,778 times
First let me say that I'm so terribly sorry you lost your kitty. It is horrible and scary to come home to find that.

I'm afraid you don't give us much to go on - without having taken her to the vet after the first "episode" for lab tests, it's hard to say with any certainty.

BUT - based on my years working at a vet clinic and running the lab, it sounds like your little girl was suffering from a very common kitty disease - chronic renal failure, which actually could have been brought on by hyperthyroidism, which would have caused the increased vomiting and weight loss. Frequent vomiting and kidney failure will eventually cause an electrolye imbalance such as hypercalcemia or an increased potassium, both of which could have caused seizure/stroke-like symptoms, brain damage, and (eventually) the combination would lead to death.

The horrible sound you heard is what I call the "death cry" - the last horrible gutteral noise they make before dying. I've never heard that sound come out of a single animal that ever lived... except one - my little girl, who almost died of an upper respiratory infection. She collapsed on me while I was force-feeding her and made that sound as we were rushing her to the emergency clinic. It was terrifying.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I hope the information is a little helpful and gives you some peace.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:16 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,628,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephmj View Post
They think it was a stroke. :-(
I'm so sorry for your loss, what a terrible thing to go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats