U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 AM

942 posts, read 2,329,273 times

Advertisements

We probably have about twenty cats that roam our street. None are nuetered and they continue to procreate. My neighbor across the street (shes a state trooper) pours cat food in HER next door neighbors lawn everyday to feed them. They spray infront of my door step ALL the time. It is becomming a pain in the rear. I gather that she does not put the food at her doorstep because she doesnt want them hanging around her front lawn but shes keeping them in the neighborhood by feeding them. Called animal control and thay said I had to pay a deposit fee of 75.00 so they could set a trap to catch them. If the trap is not stolen or damaged I get my money returned. Does this seem logical?????
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:22 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,496,856 times
Honestly, $75 is worth it, both to you and the cats. We had a similar situation in our neighborhood and the cats were everywhere. The midnight serenades finally drove me nuts. Fortunately we didn't have to pay a deposit but I am sure I would have. These cats were in poor shape and so was I from lack of sleep. Spring for the cash. You could ask the neighbor to pitch in, you never know! She obviously cares for them, so give her a sales call "for the love of the cats" or whatever you think would work. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,280,035 times
Can you speak to the neighbors? Would be nice if they could all chip in on the problem. Need to get the state trooper to quit feeding them first though.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 AM

7,504 posts, read 15,972,288 times
Buy your own cage for cheaper and bring them in yourself. I hate people feeding wild cats in our area too. I highly allergic to them, to the point where i nearly had to be hospitalised due to i couldnt breath and my eyes welled shut.

They dont come on to my property any more (at least when im around) because i had to shoot at them with a bb gun because if its a choice between me living comfortably and them getting a slight sting till they cop on, when you know what ill choose. I await the cat / animal lovers anslaught .....

Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,343,312 times
I bought a trap at Lowe's for under $50. It's good to have for a number of reasons and folds up flat for storage. I've used it to trap an opposum and then took it out to the country and let it loose. It works for cats, too...my cat had to enter out of curiosity!

The kind I have is called Have-a-heart.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 PM

3,634 posts, read 9,236,385 times
website indyferal.org has great ideas for nuisance cats. Best thing is to give her to info contained on the website about spaying and neutering. Then you will have way less problems. There are also devices you can use to train the cats to stay away from problem areas.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,135,535 times
A neighboring township has a program where stray cats are caught, neutered, and then re-released where they are found. Stray cats often do not live long due to predators and cars, so it is has been really effective and more humane than putting them to sleep.
Having said that, I think $75 is not much to spend to get rid of something that's really bothering you.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:29 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,243,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
We probably have about twenty cats that roam our street. None are nuetered and they continue to procreate. My neighbor across the street (shes a state trooper) pours cat food in HER next door neighbors lawn everyday to feed them. They spray infront of my door step ALL the time. It is becomming a pain in the rear. I gather that she does not put the food at her doorstep because she doesnt want them hanging around her front lawn but shes keeping them in the neighborhood by feeding them. Called animal control and thay said I had to pay a deposit fee of 75.00 so they could set a trap to catch them. If the trap is not stolen or damaged I get my money returned. Does this seem logical?????
1. Call the Animal Control, ask if there is a leash law in your town. If so, tell them that the lady across the street has stray cats running at large (now because she is a cop, nothing will probably happen, call it "perk of the job" but maybe they will take an alternate route.
2. When she leaves for work, put cat food in her yard! Or talk to her and tell her that the cats are sprrying your house.

Good Luck.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 AM

341 posts, read 1,340,124 times
It does NOT matter who she is or what her job status is. Every county/city/state has animal regulations. Cats AND dogs that are feral pose several problems and risks, not to mention their own miserable lives. I would contact your local Humane Society and ask them about cat & dog regulations. There may not be an actual CAT leash law, however a requirement that the animal have shots & ID is a strong possibility. People tend to view cats & their freedom differently from dogs and they should NOT! Cats pose just as many if not more problems than canines. I would also call your local PD AFTER you contact the Humane Society & arm yourself with the proper legal information. Being a State Trooper she should know better & it does not entitle her to exhibit poor judgement. If your cat or dog is responsible for destructive behavior or you're doing something to create that hazard you ARE responsible. Good intentions or not. She needs held accountable. Good Luck tho you shouldn't need it.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,356 times
My conscience wont let me walk past a hungry and sick animal ... Miami-Dade County could give a rats ( l ) about these sick CATS that I have been feeding for almost 20 years now. I have begged Channel 10 News (via e-mails) to help me...I have begged my Condominium Association to help with the CAT population issue...ALL falls on deaf ears. NOW the folks are complaining to the Association about me feeding sick CATS. I say 'shame on the Association' for ignoring this problem for as long as they have. Over the years I have presented to the Association (with brochures attached) information about organizations that will come and trap and remove thses cats for a fee. I never heard a word back from the Association. NOW we have 3times the amount of cats and the rates have gone up. By ignoring the problem 'they' think it will go away, just a dumb as thinking that if you stop feeding these poor cats, they too will just go away..NOT... these cats are desendents of 20 generations born here. This is the only home they have even known. Over the years I gather up any kittens I am lucky enough to find (over 2 months old) and like the fantom in the night I carefully box them up and deliver them to adoption agencies. As for the Mother cats and the Male cats, I have tried (unsuccessfully) to box up these cats too. After my arms are bloodied and the cats are terrified, they jump quickly out of the box. IT is so friggin frustrating.. my neighbors do not see the **UP CLOSE** horrors that i see when close to thses loving and sick animals. Some are born blind...they can eat 'cause they come to my voice...then the rest of the day, they sit very still for fear of the noises they hear. I have seen bottom jaws rotted off to where their tongue wiggles but because there is no support from their bottom jaw, they cannot scoop up any food to eat... My neighbors choose to ignor these cats and there I am..trying to feed them while asking for help in trapping them. Anyway, the cost now are ridiculous $35 for each cat up to 15 cats...that's $525 IF the Condo Board had read and responded to the literature I provided them with years ago with less cats to trap, then the costs would have been more reasonable. NOW, this week I am meeting with the BOARD with another suggestion: Since the Cats all know me and basically trust me, I will trap them myself (sturdy cardboard box with holes punched in it for air, duct tape, long thick gloves to my elbows) this will take several nights with several trips to the SPCA.. This will require help from a Board Member or neighbor. This will save a ton of money and will be better in the end for all...especially the cats.. I have suggested this several times to many folks in my building over the years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or