U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM

489 posts, read 1,830,303 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there considering the quality of your cat's food after this recent pet food scare? I was happy to see that my cat's food does not contain any wheat gluten at all; however, I am making homemade food for the dog, and I am considering cooking for the cat, too. I've just no idea where to begin. Anyone out there making food for your cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,540,276 times
The problem with homemade cat food is you have to be very careful to get the nutrition right. The big problem is taurine. Dogs make it on their own, but cat cannot and will go blind without it. There are some website out there about it (google homemade cat food), Also, you have to remember that cats are obligate carnivores - the must eat meat. Dogs are omnivores and can survive much better on a mixed diet.

Do some googling on cat nutrition and homemade cat food, and you will find a lot of good information. Also, there are some good books out there about natura and homemade feeding of pets.

I wish it was easier - I have two cats and they have both been to the vet this week for poo issues. We don't think its related to the cat food recall, but its making me think twice about their food.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 AM

My cat is a senior so I have her on a daily vitamin supplement anyways. It provides 100% of her daily requirements, but I was wanting to make something good for her. I did find a good website since posting this thread and have it posted in homemade DOG food because it also has recipes for dog food as well. The only thing is even though my girl is sweet, she is still finicky like all other cats so I don't know if cooking for her will be appreciated.

I hope your cats are fine. Do they have fleas? If so, we will hope that they just have an intestinal worm from fleas or something along those lines (not that this is ever something to hope for, but in the wake of the present health scare, it would be a blessing). Good luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,540,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I hope your cats are fine. Do they have fleas? If so, we will hope that they just have an intestinal worm from fleas or something along those lines (not that this is ever something to hope for, but in the wake of the present health scare, it would be a blessing). Good luck!
Thanks for the well wishes! We just got back from our 4th vet trip this week. The first time was in a panic over the food thing and seeing poo streaks across the carpet. After calming down, we thought "poo steaks? isn't that an a n a l gland thing?" So she went back in today to have those expressed and she got a "hygiene clip" b/c stuff was sticking to her bum. So hopefully that will fix things. Cat #2 went in the middle of the week, just for her annual checkup and shots. But then, last night, she was having some bum issues too. That looks like a one time thing. *fingers crossed* Trip #3 was this morning, when we dropped off two bags of samples (one from each cat) to check for worms. That won't be back until Monday. But I am hoping we have it under control now.

I saw on the news today that the FDA is now looking at dry foods. Eukanuba was one of the wet foods recalled, and they eat dry Eukanuba. I'm taking them off it for now and waiting until I hear more. We picked up some food samples from the natural pet store today. So now we get to see if these finicky girls will tolerate one of them

Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Fortunately, I have been feeding my cat Wellness and Petguard brands for the past several months and was thrilled to see no wheat gluten among the ingredients for the Petguard wet and Wellness dry (I don't have any Wellness wet at home at this time so I cannot comment on those ingredients.)

By the way, anyone who is having trouble with fleas in cats, you can add brewers yeast to their food. However, do not add any garlic to their food ever as garlic is extremely and permanently harmful to cats. You can add garlic and brewers yeast to dog food for natural flea control and intestinal worms - - I've read that the garlic flushes intestinal parasites right out (haven't tried it), but I've been feeding brewers yeast and garlic to the dog's food since making homemade food.

Just brewer's yeast in the cat food, though. Not making homemade cat food at this time.

Hope your cats are on the mend, Ruby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or