Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times

Advertisements

As of this coming Monday I'll be bereft of Weasie for four months.

During the summer a young feral cat would pay visits to the back porch from time to time. Her distinctive coloring (white "gloves" and tummy and chin, otherwise mostly caramel-highlighted black and some caramel by itself) earned her the name Blaliko. She looked like the product of a few minutes of passion between a black cat and a calico, y'see. The "k" in place of "c" is to render the name Japanese or African.

Blaliko was not in my good graces in the beginning. She was caught relaxing in the big box on the porch that had been a favorite nap spot for Weasie. And once poor Weeze had to suffer the indignity of being chased into her own territory by her. (Blaliko was following ancient instincts by acting aggressive toward an old and sick member of the species, for by then Weasie had turned 19 and had been stricken by liver cancer.)
Until a month or so after Weasie died, not that much was seen of Blaliko. Then she began reappearing regularly toward the end of February, having not forgotten that there was a "feeding station" especially for cats on my porch. Gradually it got so that she'd tolerate my sharing space with her. Then a couple of Wednesdays ago she sent some lazy blinks my way instead of only staring. Now she will relax, bathe, stretch, etc with me present - as long as I stay outside her comfort zone of about two feet.

Not for the first time, I tried to TNR Blaliko at the end of February. My mission wasn't a complete flop, 'cause I caught another feral sometime visitor and got him "fixed" instead. I was given the chance to try again in late April. But days before I was scheduled to pick up the trap a neighbor who knew of my intentions sent an urgent e-mail: "Blaliko...has had kittens." She'd set up housekeeping under the porch of that man and his wife but had clearly relocated at least once. And children who lived nearby, overexcited about having kittens to visit, rattled her nerves and led her to move on with them again. But still another neighbor spied her carrying one of the young-un's down a walkway between two houses nearby. Animal Control was called in the next morning, at which time three kittens were caught and caged to be taken to a no-kill shelter for adoption. (Yay!) But Blaliko herself evaded capture due to the inopportune arrival of passing pedestrians.
This was definitely all for the best, because it turned out that our heroine had given birth to SIX. I was suitably complimented last Thursday when I looked out a window to the porch and saw that Blaliko was playing with one of them there. Yet another cat-friendly neighbor discovered that the family was now making their home under HER porch. Animal Control was called once more - and once more Blaliko stayed one step ahead. By the time the officer arrived they were gone again. Despite all the disruptions, Blaliko is remaining in the neighborhood. I saw her on my porch twice late yesterday, and the neighbor under whose porch she'd most recently briefly dwelled saw her this morning. And my feeding station has needed to be replenished twice today.

Eventually, probably sooner than later, the gig will be up. Blaliko, and the three kittens who dodged the first round-up, will be "taken into custody." Animal Control knows that I'll be footing the bill for Blaliko's TNR. She's proven herself to be nobody's fool. Once she's spayed and is turned back loose she will almost certainly keep on availing herself of sustenance on my porch. With her having claimed my outdoor territory as hers for some nine months, and her slow but steady warming to me, I have to wonder where this will lead. The animal control officer has said that Blaliko gives the impression of being "semi-feral, maybe somebody's pet at one time." Am I being hopelessly optimistic by thinking that she could be persuaded to move in and be Weasie's successor at some point down the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
That poor kitty, trying to raise her babies as a feral. If you keep working at it you may end up with her for a room mate yet. I'm curious why you didn't adopt one or more of her kittens.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
she may never become completly domesticated but t does sound like shes not truly wild either and i think if you give her time and patients you will probably become hers

Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Am I being hopelessly optimistic by thinking that she could be persuaded to move in and be Weasie's successor at some point down the line?

No, I do not think it is hopeless. I believe you have actually created a feeling of "trust" in her and she has gradually come to accept your presence and knows that she is safe with you. Once she is spayed and released, if she continues to hang around your home, I think you will have yourself a new cat if you want her. Since she will not be attracting toms any more she may not claim as large a territory to roam. With patience and time, and a little gentle coaxing from you I think she will gradually get used to a change in her lifestyle. I wish you much luck with her, and I do think Weasie would approve too...

Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post

No, I do not think it is hopeless. I believe you have actually created a feeling of "trust" in her and she has gradually come to accept your presence and knows that she is safe with you. Once she is spayed and released, if she continues to hang around your home, I think you will have yourself a new cat if you want her. Since she will not be attracting toms any more she may not claim as large a territory to roam. With patience and time, and a little gentle coaxing from you I think she will gradually get used to a change in her lifestyle. I wish you much luck with her, and I do think Weasie would approve too...
....^^^ that.

Keep us posted and all paws crossed that she gets her spay this time around.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
it's possible! a friend of mine had been caring for a feral in her area for years. She had a porch box made up for it esp in the winter and would get very worried during/after storms if she hadn't seen him for a while. Eventually he ended up with ear mites or infection, she was finally able to trap him and get him treatment. She kept him in her garage for a while, he has warmed up to her and I believe is mixing in. So yes it can happen, Blaliko is used to you and your property. Keep it up! you may be able to trap her yet.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
You have pretty nice animal control that's for sure. They wouldn't be so accomodating around here.

I don't think you are being too optimistic. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
Based on your description of Blaliko I think you can be pretty certain that she is NOT a feral cat and as such she can become a wonderful inside companion. A feral cat will never relax and stretch out with a human present and would never allow you to come within two feet of her. I have two feral cats who lives inside with me and have been for two years and they still won't relax like that with me close by.
It sounds like Blaliko is just like my Eli was - a formerly owned cat who's been outside for a long time and haven't had contact with people so she's on her guard a bit. It took six months of hard work, especially at the end, to get near Eli and I thought he was feral at first. But once he had figured out that I wasn't going to hurt him he let me touch him a little bit and from there things went fast. He started to let me pet him and within about a week I could pick him up. He clearly liked the attention and soon he'd make a beeline towards me whenever he saw me to be petted. I eventually decided to take him in and it was hard at first but now I've had him for three years and he's like any other cat.

A cat who was socialized with humans as a kitten can always be resocialized even if they've been outside on their own for years. Accepting humans is ingrained in their brains. With a cat who was not socialized as a kitten fear of humans is ingrained in their brains and they will usually never be "normal" cats. Most people who say that they've taken in a feral cat and a few months later they are lap cats never had a feral cat to begin with. They had a cat like Eli who was just unsocialized. I think this is what Blaliko is like and with some more time and effort you will be her new best buddy and she can definitely succeed your late cat. I think I can say with almost 100% certainty that she's not a true feral cat. So I think you've found your new cat.

To get Blaliko to accept you more it really helps if you can sit down on the ground with her so that you don't look as big and scary. Just sit there and talk a bit. Then after a while stretch your hand out so she gets used to having you reach for her. Then you ca start touching her, just a second at first and then more and more. It may help to bring some good food into the picture, like some Fancy Feast or, even better, tuna. She may just accept you touching her while she's eating. At the very least she will associate you with good stuff. Once she accepts touch without running away you've made it over the biggest hump and it's easy after that. I've done this with several cats and they have all turned out to be great pets and except for Eli have been adopted into great homes.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Default Blaliko breakthrough!

No sooner did I start this thread...
This afternoon as I neared home walking down the street which intersects mine, I spied Blaliko at the far end of a long driveway in the company of two kittens. As I watched - without approaching and only for a short time - one of them purposely barreled into her. She and they seemed to be enjoying some quality moments.

I'd decided to give her some tuna for Mother's Day. So upon arriving home I opened a can of Star-Kist and took it onto the back porch. A next-door neighbor was outside enjoying the fantastic spring weather, so he and I got to talking. Neither of us noticed that Blaliko had arrived from the direction of his house until she jumped onto the porch. She started to run across when she saw I was there - that is, until she caught a whiff of what I'd just put out for her a few minutes before. With no time wasted she got right down to business on that canned tuna. So voraciously was she eating that the can began sliding around. I thought, "Here goes nothing," and sat down on the porch to hold the can in place with my right hand. No matter that my hand was now inches from her head. Blaliko had mouths to feed in addition to her own - and here was some Mother's Day TUNA. Emboldened by her not having raced away, I got in a few light scratches of her ears and nose with my free hand.
Blaliko tore through the entire can in short order, but there were still a few morsels she was having trouble with. So I pressed my luck again and put one on my right index finger. And I had her literally eating out of my hand. Once there was no tuna left whatsoever, I threw the last bit of caution to the winds and ran my hand down her back from head to tail several times. Although she seemed somewhat taken by surprise even that didn't faze her. Not only that - she walked into the house through the open doorway and paused in the stairwell. A look in the bedroom was all she took before re-emerging and trotting across the porch to jump off and go to her latest temporary home. But everything happens in good time. I was stoked enough by her allowing the skritches and petting!

Animal Control is going to be tipped off to the latest apparent lodging place for Blaliko and family, in the morning.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
That is great news! This is really a breakthrough. From now on I bet she will let you pet her more and more and before long she'll be in your lap. It sounds like Blaliko has found herself a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats