U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM

1,848 posts, read 2,902,140 times
Default Lump, bump, mass etc. in my cat's armpit area

Hi there,

Our sweet Mazel, a male 6 year old, has some sort of lump near his front right leg arm pit.

We can move it a bit with our fingers and it does not seem to hurt him.

He just had his teeth cleaned in Feb. where they took blood, but perhaps only for the reason to see if he could "go under" anesthisia safely.

Has anyone had this experience?

He is otherwise happy, healthy, active, loving etc.

EDIT: It is about the size of a penny and regardless I DO plan on taking him to our vet, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,507,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Hi there,

With no pain, no inflammation or tender areas around it, and if it's pretty solid feeling (like a lump of tissue) it could be a ganglion. If it's less solid feeling it could be a cyst or a fat lump.

I've had a dog that developed one in the exact area your cat has one in. We left it alone and for about two years it would grow and shrink of it's own accord (they do, and they'll also sometimes disappear by themselves) but then it grew and started interfering with movement, so it had to be removed.

Let us know what the vet says. (By the way, if it is a ganglion, they are totally painless. I have one too. )

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM

15,926 posts, read 27,790,964 times
Or could be a pcoket of infection. Cats are incredibly strong/resilient and will not show signs of pain or illness until just before they are near death. Had it happen to me, 2 cats some years apart seemed a lttle under the weather for a day or so and then died.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,382,686 times
If I'm not mistaken, there's a lymph node in that area. I'll be interested to see what your vet says!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM

24,226 posts, read 28,505,746 times
Here's hoping it's easily remedied. Keep us posted.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
bjh

19,904 posts, read 10,949,392 times
Had a friend whose dog had a large lump under a leg that felt as if there was a plastic bag of fluid under her skin. She was an old dog and might not have survived a surgery.

Well a few months later the lump was smaller and hard, as if something had leaked out of it. The dog was totally asymptomatic, no pain or unease in movement, totally oblivious.

The dog lived for years with no problem and died of old age.

No one can tell you what to do with your pet that would be best. Yet sometimes these types of things are indeed harmless.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM

1,848 posts, read 2,902,140 times
thank you and i will update!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 AM

2,164 posts, read 5,093,058 times
I have a 13 year old that I found a lump on. Scared me to death so I called and got her intot he vets right away.. He stuck a needle in it and pulled some of it out.. It was fat. Hope yours has as good a outcome as mine was.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM

14,648 posts, read 16,103,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Hi there,

Our sweet Mazel, a male 6 year old, has some sort of lump near his front right leg arm pit.

We can move it a bit with our fingers and it does not seem to hurt him.

He just had his teeth cleaned in Feb. where they took blood, but perhaps only for the reason to see if he could "go under" anesthisia safely.

He is otherwise happy, healthy, active, loving etc.

EDIT: It is about the size of a penny and regardless I DO plan on taking him to our vet, thanks!
It's probably an abcess. Cats are notorious for getting them. The vet will probably either drain it, or just give you an antibiotic prescription. Be careful that the cat does not go off it's feed. That can be deadly. The cat can go into something called lipodosis (sorry about the spelling), and it can be fatal.

It is most certainly an abcess if the kitty is licking it continuously. See the vet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,628,761 times
Good luck, I hope your kitty is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats