Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

321 posts, read 853,764 times

Advertisements

I've been battling severe depression over the past few days and could use a little encouragement.

My landlord has sent my hubby and I a letter threatening us with eviction. His reason is because the number of cats we have apparently exceeds the number allowed by his pet policy. This pet policy wasn't in place when we rescued a number of these cats - it's something that was introduced in the last year or so by people who don't like me.

I don't always back down in a fight and I guess I upset the wrong person who has now made it a personal mission to get my family kicked out of this building.

I need some advice (a lot of advice actually) on how to go about finding loving hopefully permanent homes for some of my fuzzies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I am sorry you are facing this situation. Are there any "no kill" shelters in your area? As much as I know you don't want to part with any of them, maybe one of these shelters can help you out. Especially if you explain the possible eviction.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM

190 posts, read 542,946 times
It sure seems no good deed goes unpunished! I would try getting in touch with your local shelter, explaining the situation. They may be able to reccomend other organizations who can foster them out till they are found a perm. home. Make flyers and hang them up everywhere, the supermarket, vet offices, pet supply places, feed and seed stores. You could even try people who own horses because most barns have mice. You can also try to talk to the landlord and nicely explain that you had rescued the cats and if he would be kind enough to give you time to find them homes. Maybe once he understands that these wont be perm. pets he might work with you.
I wish I could help you more. right now I am nursing a little stray I found on my porch the other night. His eye was glued shut with infected mucus and he has a terrible upper respitory. Luckily I had some vet. opthamalic ointment and since I volunteer at my local shelter I was able to get the antibiotics. Even though I have no income because I was in a major car wreck several months ago and I am now unable to work, I managed to come up with $15 in change that I paid for the antibiotics. and this is a stray, but like yourself I try to take care of any kitty that is in need. I'll keep you in my prayers. Please keep us updated. Monica

Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 AM

There is the local Humane Society who will take some of my cats for $10.00 each. The problem is that if they can't adopt them out to good homes then they will be humanely euthanized.

Right now, it's a busy time at the Humane Society - they have so many cats this time of year that finding homes for them will be difficult.

I have found two websites that provide free advertising and have placed several ads on them and the manager of the pet store we go too for our pet supplies has offered to put up flyers for our other kitties.

My landlord is a very hard-hearted person. Interestingly enough, someone on our floor smokes marijuana quite often judging by the permanent skunk smell on our floor - but he hasn't been threatened with eviction yet.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Doesn't it always seem to be the case. Loving people try with all the financial resources they have at their disposal to save the animals that other people cast aside like so much garbage. I am so sick of hard-hearted people. Some of these cats were taken from former 'friends' of mine who had about twenty cats before they made the decision to move about twelve hours north of here. They were going to leave their cats behind because no one would pursue legal action on them from that distance. So kind-hearted people stepped forward and offered to take on their responsiblities - (none of these cats were neutered or spayed) and they went merrily on their way. No legal action would be taken against them because they were on social assistance. Everyone of those kind hearted people (myself included) are now dealing with animals that have health problems - including respiratory problems because of this couple's irresponsibility. The four cats we took on were severely emaciated because of a lack of good quality food (actually in their case - lack of any food at all sometimes). The one cat - gave birth to the kittens that she couldn't properly care for and that we hand raised.

We have rescued starving cats off the streets and done everything we can to help them and I would never turn my back on an animal in need, I don't care what my landlord says.

I've asked him for a few months - and given him a definite plan of action so he knows I'm not stalling. My husband is the greatest person I know right now because he is so supportive and all I keep thinking is I've brought him into the gutter with me.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansidhbabe View Post
Doesn't it always seem to be the case. Loving people try with all the financial resources they have at their disposal to save the animals that other people cast aside like so much garbage. I am so sick of hard-hearted people. Some of these cats were taken from former 'friends' of mine who had about twenty cats before they made the decision to move about twelve hours north of here. They were going to leave their cats behind because no one would pursue legal action on them from that distance. So kind-hearted people stepped forward and offered to take on their responsiblities - (none of these cats were neutered or spayed) and they went merrily on their way. No legal action would be taken against them because they were on social assistance. Everyone of those kind hearted people (myself included) are now dealing with animals that have health problems - including respiratory problems because of this couple's irresponsibility. The four cats we took on were severely emaciated because of a lack of good quality food (actually in their case - lack of any food at all sometimes). The one cat - gave birth to the kittens that she couldn't properly care for and that we hand raised.

We have rescued starving cats off the streets and done everything we can to help them and I would never turn my back on an animal in need, I don't care what my landlord says.

I've asked him for a few months - and given him a definite plan of action so he knows I'm not stalling. My husband is the greatest person I know right now because he is so supportive and all I keep thinking is I've brought him into the gutter with me.
I agreed with all that you said....UNTIL the gutter comment. Sweetie...your not in the gutter...You should be placed high on a pedestal for all that you've done and are doing! Lots of virtual hugs to you.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM

128 posts, read 470,743 times
How many do you have? And how many can you keep, per the landlord?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM

I have 15 adults and 8 young cats/kittens. At the end of last year, the 'friends' of mine who moved north, left behind nine cats and hubby and I took in five of the more emaciated ones. One female was pregnant (we didn't know we thought she was just in better shape than the other four) - gave birth and promptly ran out of milk so the babies were hand raised by my hubby and I. These ones might have a chance - people love cute kittens right (sarcasm intended) - except we are battling some kind of eye problem with them. We have three four month old kitties from the same location and the five adults - four of which have health problems that we are dealing with. (Nothing contagious at all just the result of poor food and poor care by those non animal lovers)

The thing is we never intended to keep any of these cats. The five rescued adults were to be given lots of love and food and when they felt better we were going to find homes for them. But they are sick and in no condition to go anywhere. Two of them aren't even very well socialized.

When I say the gutter, I didn't realize the mess I was getting my family into. I wanted to help - I didn't want to see these cats abandoned - but I didn't realize how bad things were and continue to be.

This is why I got so angry on the thread about the girl abandoning her cat in the field. I am so sick of people bailing out on their responsibilities and othe people pushed into picking up the slack from their irresponsibility. Right now, I just want to throw up.

My landlord and his new pet policy states we can only have three. Of course, I'm going to fight him on that part since we have had seven for a number of years with no complaints and no pet policy. I think because we had them before this new policy he might not have a leg to stand on. I'll have to look into it.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:20 PM

128 posts, read 470,743 times
Quote:
I have 15 adults and 8 young cats/kittens. At the end of last year, the 'friends' of mine who moved north, left behind nine cats and hubby and I took in five of the more emaciated ones. One female was pregnant (we didn't know we thought she was just in better shape than the other four) - gave birth and promptly ran out of milk so the babies were hand raised by my hubby and I. These ones might have a chance - people love cute kittens right (sarcasm intended) - except we are battling some kind of eye problem with them. We have three four month old kitties from the same location and the five adults - four of which have health problems that we are dealing with. (Nothing contagious at all just the result of poor food and poor care by those non animal lovers)

The thing is we never intended to keep any of these cats. The five rescued adults were to be given lots of love and food and when they felt better we were going to find homes for them. But they are sick and in no condition to go anywhere. Two of them aren't even very well socialized.

When I say the gutter, I didn't realize the mess I was getting my family into. I wanted to help - I didn't want to see these cats abandoned - but I didn't realize how bad things were and continue to be.

This is why I got so angry on the thread about the girl abandoning her cat in the field. I am so sick of people bailing out on their responsibilities and othe people pushed into picking up the slack from their irresponsibility. Right now, I just want to throw up.

My landlord and his new pet policy states we can only have three. Of course, I'm going to fight him on that part since we have had seven for a number of years with no complaints and no pet policy. I think because we had them before this new policy he might not have a leg to stand on. I'll have to look into it.
OK, your heart is definitely in the right place. I'm a sucker for a stray, too. Take a deep breath and figure out where you have to go from here.

You can't keep all those cats...it's too much. And while I understand your heartbreak, I can understand how the landlord and your neighbors might not like it. I have five kitties, and I know that's just a hair over the tipping point for me.

Have the sickly ones seen the vet?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:

It never rains, does it?

I have no practical advice on the cats aside from what's been offered already. On the support side.. well, I'd say you've got a pretty good support base right here. I know that I personally am thousands and thousands of miles away - if I were closer, it would be easier. All I can offer is sympathy and encouragement.

You have done a fantastic job. It's so easy to become overwhelmed, and this is not good for either man or beast.... you need to look after YOU as much as you need to look after the cats too.

I am no legal eagle... however, there is something I would urge to seek legal advice about - and seek it soon. Contact your nearest Legal Aid office - and have a copy of your lease ready. You need to find out if the landlord can, legally, enforce what is tantamount to a retroactive pet policy (i.e. the cats were there before the pet policy was introduced). Has he provided this new policy in writing? If not, get it! "He said/She said" will not do you any favours - get it in writing!

While I agree that you need to start finding places for the rehomable cats to go soonest, you also need to safeguard your welfare and the roof over all your heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats