Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

We live out in the country, with 2 dogs and a number of cats (currently 7), and several of our cats go on walks with us when we take the dogs out. We have had them cover a couple miles. It's not just one cat, usually 3-5 walk with us, and we have had several "generations" (not decendents, just new batches) of cats do so. We're walking in the woods or on a rarely traveled country road, so cars aren't an issue.

I've also noticed one of my neighbors walking his dog early in the morning along the county (paved) road, his cat also always seems to be following along.

I'm just curious, does anyone else have cats that think they're dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:52 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,272 times
How funny - We have had a few cats that do that! We live out in the country too, and our current cat goes with us and our 2 dogs! He will lag behind sometimes, and when he sees that he is behind, he will run to catch up! I usually won't go too far when he is with us, because I am afraid that he will do it on his own and end up cougar bait!

I am not so sure our cat thinks he is a dog, but we do have a dog that thinks he is a cat! He is a Rodesian Ridgeback and he sneeks up and pounces on things like a cat! He also loves to chase laser lights!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:08 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

I'm just curious, does anyone else have cats that think they're dogs?

We had a dog-walking cat, but he never thought he was a lowly dog.

Dogs were objects to torment and relieve boredom and much better than any toy ever invented. He'd climb trees en route and call us all - we had to go admire him before he'd come down. Or he'd run along and hide behind a bush waiting for just the right moment to leap out and scare the dogs. It would take some getting used to by the foster dogs!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 PM

71 posts, read 202,155 times
I am in the process of Harness training my cat Panther and getting her used to the leash. I plan to take her for some walks this summer!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
There was a guy where I grew up who used to walk his dog on a leash, with one cat on his shoulder and one cat on his head.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
Bubba loves marching on his leash. I have to get a video and post it. He thinks he's hot stuff stomping around. I'm trying to keep him out of the grass until I get it sprayed for bugs, and give him another dose of flea drops and he marches up and down the sidewalk...Annabelle on the other hand, sits in the front window, with panic on her face....afraid he's going to run away or I'll leave him outside...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM

283 posts, read 892,756 times
I would love to walk my Kinkins. I tried to use a leash on her and everytime she would plop to ground and stop moving. I want to try again tonight...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I have had cats that walk with me and the dogs on the trails. One of my cats now follows me around everywhere I go outside, barn, mailbox, etc.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Very common, but you have to be really careful. They are easy prey for coyotes who will watch and sneak up and grab one when you're not looking. I also worry about other people's dogs.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcher View Post
I would love to walk my Kinkins. I tried to use a leash on her and everytime she would plop to ground and stop moving. I want to try again tonight...
oh, yeah, the dead kitty move ... my Coco used to do that, just plop and die! Pick her up and she was limp in your hands, no eye contact mind you Only sideways glances and stiff lipped meows. My other cat was a walking kitty -- walked for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats