Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,174,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
No, she is actually afraid of the outdoors, hehe. I've done the walking around with her inside the apartment with the harness on, strap and everything. She doesn't mind it at all actually. She just really hates the outdoors. She loves looking out of the window though. She also starts crying when we're outside and she's in the transport cage. I only put her there when we are visiting the vet of course.
My cat is like that. She creeps to the door, then stares, then a car rolls down the street and shes going the other way so fast she won't come out for ten minutes. She has actually run out a couple of times and gotten scared and tried to run back in. Once she made it and once (at 10:00pm) she just ran under the house and hid. Luckily it was warm ourside as I sat with catfood and flashlight ready to grab when she got the nerve up to come out. I do watch her with doors but mostly worry about her slipping out without being noticed and hiding.

I have also used a harness on her and when moving she had both harness and leash on in the carrier. Lest she run if she pushed the carrier open there was something to grab. Personally being small and black I don't encourage her to get over being scared of outside. When we had snow she got curious enough to get just past the door and found wet nasty cold stuff, ran inside and wouldn't go near the door until it melted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,400,498 times
I had an old instructional website called Clever Cats that I put up when I had an AOL account in the free webspace they provided members that had information about how to train your cat to do different tricks and pictures of my two cats Rudy and Weejie doing tricks as well as other cats walking on leashes. When I cancelled the account I never took down the website so it remained in cyberspace at its old address until recently. I just did a search for it and it appears that the people below copied most of the main page it. It still shows my cats doing the tricks I taught them

CLEVER CATS!(How to Trick & Behavior Train Cats)

Also here is a veterinarians website on leash training and she recommends gradually teaching leash training the same way Raw Berwick, the Universal Studios animal trainer recommends in his book that I described earlier.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM

672 posts, read 5,084,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I had an old instructional website called Clever Cats that I put up when I had an AOL account in the free webspace they provided members that had information about how to train your cat to do different tricks and pictures of my two cats Rudy and Weejie doing tricks as well as other cats walking on leashes. When I cancelled the account I never took down the website so it remained in cyberspace at its old address until recently. I just did a search for it and it appears that the people below copied most of the main page it. It still shows my cats doing the tricks I taught them

CLEVER CATS!(How to Trick & Behavior Train Cats)
I bought some other book two weeks ago, and I already taught her how to sit by command! But she always does it with a treat. I will gradually take that away from her.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM

43 posts, read 215,336 times
It really is not hard to train a cat by all means, but you HAVE to have the patients and to do it when THEY want, not when you feel like it.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Hello everybody! I just wanted to inform you that my Anastasia is not that afraid of the outdoors anymore. She seems to enjoy it.

I have a video to prove it. Bad quality though, hehe. I was filming, the bf was walking her.

Anastasiatur.flv video by ellenkatrine - Photobucket

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM

283 posts, read 888,851 times
That is so precious! The last time I let my cat out on a leash, she came back with fleas I would LOVE to be able to walk her like that.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,158,073 times
I used to have a cat that walked on a leash like a dog. Everyone thought it was hilarious. He was very well behaved.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM

She's really getting good at this walking thing. She has started to take us home. Today, we went to another place and she still found the way home.
The only negative thing with walking her is people being so judgemental of me walking a cat. Gah!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,642,645 times
I purchased a harness for a small dog and have used it on 2 of our 4 cats. The first cat, Stan, who is an elderly gentlcat, is always bolting out the door and trying to get under our front porch. Well, we filled in the access points and now he has no where to go when he gets out, so he just stops and stares around. The first time on the harness/leash, he liked having a grass snack, but then went right to the door and wanted back in. I think he felt too exposed and is a chicken at heart.

Now Simon our 1 year old barn cat is a different kettle of fish. He LOVED it. Yes, he was breathing a little heavily and his heart rate was up, but that could be just excitement. He has been out a number of times now and looks all over the house for the harness. He comes trotting up with the harness in his mouth like a dog with a leash! His favorite things are butterflies and when the leaves drop from high up. He watches them both and pounces when he can. I wonder how he will like the snow?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:41 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,310,456 times
Never done it, but if I was going to, I would not get a collar leash. I would get a harness that goes around the chest and front legs. I can't stand to see dogs or cats on collar leashes because they start pulling in one direction, their owner pulls in another direction and the poor animal winds up choking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats