Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

659 posts, read 1,752,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Its funny because I immitate his meow so it almost sounds like he can hear me but its because I know how he talks. When he is annoyed he says Meow wow !!

Henry just got his first dose of liquid medicine and he was not best pleased, he ran and hid in a closet with blankets. Poor baby but I can hear his breathing is not right.
LOL! I think my friends would think I was CRAZY if they heard me chirping and cooing at my kitties.

Yeah - that liquid medicine.... it's tough. I sometimes think liquid medicine is actually harder to give than a pill. Go figure. I hate having to give mine liquids - I'd rather use my handy-dandy pill popper device and just chuck that thing down their throats than to get whatever liquid I squirted into their mouths sprayed back in my face.

Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 05:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,330,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
LOL! I think my friends would think I was CRAZY if they heard me chirping and cooing at my kitties.

Yeah - that liquid medicine.... it's tough. I sometimes think liquid medicine is actually harder to give than a pill. Go figure. I hate having to give mine liquids - I'd rather use my handy-dandy pill popper device and just chuck that thing down their throats than to get whatever liquid I squirted into their mouths sprayed back in my face.

Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.
Whats funny is he didn't spray it back at me, he just kept trying to get the taste of out his mouth and then slobbered a little on me. Poor baby. Maybe I can get the dropper further back next time so he won't taste it so much.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:06 PM

After his first experience with a cough medicine in a dropper, I was not able to get him to take anymore.

I gave him a pill of antihistamine that he wasn't thrilled either but at least between my daughter and I we were able to get it down him.

Today he sounds alot better. Not so much sneezing and his breathing is better.

Certainly sounds like seasonal allergies. There are forest fires in the area but they don't seem to be bothering him nor myself so maybe its all going to get better.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,912,571 times
Quote:
Does anyone out there have a kitty with allergies?
We had a cat that was allergic to her own fur. It was a horrific site to watch her literally tear her own hair out.

I met Dr. Bob from the Animal Planet show (an old show and I refuse to watch Animal Planet anymore so I don't know if the shows still on) Emergency Vets. Told him my cats problem and he diagnosed her as to her allergy and suggested I take her to the vet and get her cortizone shots.

She'd get one every 6 months and was a happy camper until she passed on due to old age.

If you'd like a suggestion as to how to give cats liquid meds, let me know. I have 7 cats. I'm a pro at it!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
We had a cat that was allergic to her own fur. It was a horrific site to watch her literally tear her own hair out.

I met Dr. Bob from the Animal Planet show (an old show and I refuse to watch Animal Planet anymore so I don't know if the shows still on) Emergency Vets. Told him my cats problem and he diagnosed her as to her allergy and suggested I take her to the vet and get her cortizone shots.

She'd get one every 6 months and was a happy camper until she passed on due to old age.

If you'd like a suggestion as to how to give cats liquid meds, let me know. I have 7 cats. I'm a pro at it!

Your poor kitty, do the shots work ok for her?

I am hoping that Henry is getting better because I can't stand putting him through this. When we gave him the pill we wrapped him in a towel and it was still difficult.
I would love any hints there and I'm sure anyone else reading this might enjoy it as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 PM

659 posts, read 1,752,119 times
Quote:

I am hoping that Henry is getting better because I can't stand putting him through this. When we gave him the pill we wrapped him in a towel and it was still difficult.
I would love any hints there and I'm sure anyone else reading this might enjoy it as well.
Lindsey - have you tried a pill popper? You can get them at the vet's office or maybe even PetSmart.

Here's a great instructional video for popping kitty pills: How to Use a Pill Popper to Give Your Cat Medication | Expert Village Videos

Good luck my dear.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Lindsey - have you tried a pill popper? You can get them at the vet's office or maybe even PetSmart.

Here's a great instructional video for popping kitty pills: How to Use a Pill Popper to Give Your Cat Medication | Expert Village Videos

Good luck my dear.
I have heard of them and will have to invest in them because in spite of Henry's small size, he is strong when your coming at him with something he doesn't want. Poor thing, I feel as if I am torturing him when its really something he needs.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM

635 posts, read 1,681,135 times
We used to give our cats the pill wrapped in a 'little' butter. OMG, did they love that! By the time they recovered from the aggravation of the pill, they forgot it with the butter taste. Then my tabby figured out how to get the butter off without swallowing the pill moving it around her mouth until she tasted medicine and then she'd gack it back up ... figures. But it worked for awhile. Then we went to buffered whenever possible. That helped a lot.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:22 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,912,571 times
Quote:

She was perfectly fine and content. She passed on about 2 years ago, but she wasn't bald when she did.

My vet taught me how to give oral liquid meds. and here's a great example of how to do it.
YouTube - How to Give Your Cat Liquid Medication *Note: if your cat is really skittish, you might need to have someone hold it by the back of the neck, like when their Mama carried 'em. Not up off the floor, but holding them down on the floor or table. By grasping them by the back of the next, it actually calms them down.*

Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,239,728 times
Lola takes the liquid form chlorpheniramine. We have a compounding pharmacy that will mix it with any flavor and it seems to be working. She doesn't sneeze as much. Since she hisses at us all the time, it is really easy to shoot that right into her mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats