U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM

667 posts, read 707,496 times

Advertisements

I have a Bissell vacuum cleaner that I am extremely unhappy with. It weighs a TON, and doesn't pick up well, plus when I try to vacuum up the litter around the litter box, all it does is spit it out behind it. I had a cheap "Phantom" vacuum cleaner before this that did the same thing (spit litter), and it used to shut off constantly from overheating. Sigh. Everyone raves about Dyson vacuums, but no way am I spending hundred$$ for a vacuum cleaner! Are there any reasonably priced ones that aren't litter spitters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM

9,766 posts, read 24,102,155 times
Dyson all the way! You get what you pay for.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 7,284,987 times
Jeez, I got mine in Target 6 years ago and have no idea what make it is. I think it cost about $70. All I know it sucks pretty good (), picks up litter and dry cat food and the cats HATE it. It's one of those little ones you can carry around with you if necessary.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 PM

283 posts, read 458,928 times
Dyson. The Animal version is nice with the mini head to vacuum sofas and cat trees.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,970,968 times
I have had a Dyson for years and I am moderately happy with it. It does very well if you have carpet. I have two Maine Coons and two rabits and the Dyson has really done well in the places I have lived with carpet. However I have not been happy with it in places I have lived without carpet. It doesn't do well setting the height and just generally does not do as well. Overall however I can say I bought is for about $400 six years ago and it is still operational. Before that said cats' hair tended to burn out vacuum mowers about every 7 months.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I have had a Dyson for years and I am moderately happy with it. It does very well if you have carpet. I have two Maine Coons and two rabits and the Dyson has really done well in the places I have lived with carpet. However I have not been happy with it in places I have lived without carpet. It doesn't do well setting the height and just generally does not do as well. Overall however I can say I bought is for about $400 six years ago and it is still operational. Before that said cats' hair tended to burn out vacuum mowers about every 7 months.
Have to say, Dysons have improved greatly. My first one was 5 years ago...The Animal DC07...purple one....Loved it and decided just recently, I needed a second...for upstairs. My entire downstairs is tiled....just area rugs here and there...bought the Absolute DC17 and it is wonderful. 5 cats and 2 Goldens...well 1 Golden now..just lost the 13 yr old....but it does a great job on the tile. I've had 'em all and I doubt I'll ever buy a different brand vac! (And no, I don't work for the company)

Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,319,327 times
It is the beater bars that are the problem They tend to "beat" the litter back out the back.

Does a Dyson work well picking up litter on tile, ShelbyGirl1? I've spent a FORTUNE on different vacuums since going to an all tile home. So far, the only thing that even sorta works is an inexpensive Bissel Turbo Sweep.

Sorry about the passing away of your Golden...

Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
It is the beater bars that are the problem They tend to "beat" the litter back out the back.

Does a Dyson work well picking up litter on tile, ShelbyGirl1? I've spent a FORTUNE on different vacuums since going to an all tile home. So far, the only thing that even sorta works is an inexpensive Bissel Turbo Sweep.

Sorry about the passing away of your Golden...
Thank you Lola...it is sweet of you to mention her.
The Dyson picks up the litter, but will occasionally spit it out the back. If it does start doing that, the Dyson has a button to turn off the beater bar and just "sucks". Works great for me! You can also raise and lower the bar, but most vacs these days have that option.
One of my friends just bought the "ball" that swivels...really neat vac. and much easier to maneuver...I'm thinking that may be my next one!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 PM

2,749 posts, read 5,618,002 times
I have a Eureka Boss - they now make several models specifically for people with pets. I paid about $150 for mine on sale. It's bagless so I can see what comes out of the trap when I empty it - a lot of cat hair! I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on the Dyson, so I decided to try this one first and I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,615,762 times
Dyson, Dyson, Dyson....so worth the money. They are expensive but so so so worth it.
I have a Newfoundland (Dog) lots and lots of hair. Dyson picks right up. And I have had my dyson for 10 years. No problems at all. I want a new one...but my old one works just fine.

I use the Dyson Animal 14. Mine is purple got it at Target!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats