Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM

350 posts, read 4,157,478 times

Advertisements

I have two cats. One is a 5.5 year old female; the other is a 1 year old male. We've had both since they were 3 months old. They get along well and play together often, and cuddle together.

Anyhow, the 5.5 year old female, in the past month, has started urinating outside the litter box, a total of three times. We have two litter boxes and both are cleaned daily. The litter boxes are located on the second floor, in a quiet location, and they have never shown any problems with the location. They are located in a spare bedroom that is easily accessible. She only urinates inappropriately on the first floor of our house--so far. The first time was in a laundry basket--I thought maybe that was b/c it looked like a litter box. I didn't think much of it.

The second time, two weeks later, was on a bedsheet left on the floor near that laundry basket. I thought that maybe it was because she peed on that bedsheet since it was in the laundry basket when she peed the first time.

Today, however, we found that she peed in my husband's gym bag, also on the first floor, but which has no articles of clothing that have ever been peed on. She is drinking and eating normally and using the litter box normally. This inappropriate urination happened once before in October when we went on a long vacation and she peed in our bed and then also in the kitchen in a cardboard box--we took her to the vet who checked her out for UTIs and did bloodwork; everything was fine.

But I don't understand why she is peeing now.

The one year old has started a bad chewing habit in the past month. He is chewing clothing and towels only--not anything else.

Everything was fine with my cats before the last month. Nothing has changed in the last month--no visitors, no vacations, no new routine, no new food, no new furniture. I will add though that I had surgery in the last month--so I was probably acting different for a short while, but that was three weeks ago.

Can anyone offer any advice? I am wondering if they are doing this out of boredom?

Last edited by kibblesandbits; 04-22-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,143,574 times
[quote=kibblesandbits;8471889
I am wondering if they are doing this out of boredom?[/quote]

Absolutely NOT. 100% + 10% NO WAY.

No animal will soil out of boredom.. Shred the curtains perhaps, but not soil. A change in toileting habits in animals - much like in young children - is usually a sign something is amiss.

If UTIs have been ruled out in, then from what you've written, I'd guess a few things:

a) the chewing behaviour and the inappropriate urination are both signs that there's a bit of stress going on inter-felines

b) it is not inconceivable that the age of the younger cat has something to do with it - i.e. he's just reached maturity

c) your temporary change in behaviour due to surgery (hope you're feeling better now ) could have something to do with it... or it could not. Just going on what you wrote, I'd lean towards the "not". I'd lean toward the suspicion that there's something going on between the two of them.

Does the older female have somewhere she can go that is hers alone and which Junior has no access to? (Or can he be put somewhere so he can't bother her?)

I recently went through a somewhat similar situation when our male cat reached the sort of 12 or 14 month old mark. All I can say is he was a royal pain in the backside to the two female cats (one older, one younger) and both hated him with very good reason. He got too rough playing, he'd box for no reason, and was just generally like some delinquent teenager. It lasted a couple of months or so (maybe less) and they seem to be able to all get along.

You might find some of the information here useful

Re-Directed Aggression Towards Other Cats

(ETA: Ignore the title - it seems to come up regardless of which article on this site it's linked to. This article is about pinpointing house soiling causes.)

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks so much for your reply.

I will look into all the things you mentioned.

As for inter-feline issues, the interesting thing is we feel in the last month or so they have been the most loving with each other that they have ever been. They used to never cuddle or sleep together--in the last month they have been cuddling or sleeping together every day, for a large part of the day. It's like they're now best buddies where before they liked each other, but weren't ready to get that close. However, this is a positive development. In addition, our female (older) cat seems incredible happy and affectionate in general.

They just seem to be getting along really well lately--better than ever.

However, there is still the urinating and the chewing going on.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
If a UTI hyas been ruled out, that it's her way of telling you she is unhappy about something. We can't always figure out what they are complaining about. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
They are un-happy about something...and the hard part is figuring out just what it is...here is a link that may (or may not) address some issues that may have been overlooked.
Solutions for Litterbox Problems and Territorial Spraying!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post

They just seem to be getting along really well lately--better than ever.

However, there is still the urinating and the chewing going on.
This is because they were afraid your brain cells were dying off and they wanted you to make sure you have something to think about.

This is a good 'un alright... The thing is (the devil is always in the detail, no?) it could be anything from something really subtle that's being overlooked (a new air freshener for example) to there's a new stray tom marking outside and it's stressing them out. Are they indoor/outdoor or indoor only?

Observe them carefully, if you can make notes it might help you see a pattern (i.e. something that is a part of normal routine seems to trigger one or both of the behaviours). Also, to save your sanity, it might be an idea to restrict access to areas where you can't keep an eye on them.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM

They are indoor only. I have never seen another cat come by outside. I don't think there are any cats whatsoever in the neighborhood. I can't think of what could be bothering them. There really have been no changes at all to their environment. I have been keeping their litter box extra clean after this last out of the box urination.

I will have to observe them carefully, like you say. They are both very active and I wonder if some of this is boredom--the chewing at least.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
I highly doubt the boredom theory...but if you think it is...that is remedied pretty easily. Switch out there toys...buy a pkg of play mice...set up a few interactive toys..maybe add a cat tree...hang a bird feeder outside of their fav. window....roll up and throw down some small paper balls or tin foil...the list is endless for cheap thrills for our cats!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Just b/c you don't see an outside cat doesn't mean there isn't one. By all means get some toys and watch them carefully.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
the list is endless for cheap thrills for our cats!
. I've got a cat that waits for the odd twist-tie to fall off the kitchen counter. She just bats it around the floor for ages (until I have to go do something else and take it away from her really!).

Kibbles - I know how frustrated you must feel and there are times I'm sure it seems as if there is no possible explanation other than sheer naughtiness. It may resolve itself as mysteriously as it appears and you may never get to the bottom of it. Or you might spot something. As annoying as all this is, some of it is going to be a bit of "wait and see" and all you can do in the meantime is to observe.

But one thing I assure you of is that, in the absence of a medical reason, you're older female is not soiling "on a whim".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats