U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:58 AM

7,591 posts, read 5,102,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVicki17 View Post
Check your cats for fleas. Somehow they know if they have fleas that the fleas can jump from the carpet to them. This is almost always the case when more than one cat is exhibiting the same behavior. Jumping from one piece of furniture to another to another avoiding the floor is a very good sign of fleas.
The thing is, if there are so many fleas in the carpet that the cats are afraid to walk on it, you have a much bigger problem that the cats avoiding the floors. I've had fleas get out of control a couple of times over the years, and had to do the de-flea routine. Not once did the cats ever refuse to walk/lay/sleep on the floors, even when the fleas were at their worst. So I'm a bit skeptical that is the problem.
Most carpets are full of chemicals, even when new. Add in various cleaning agents used by home owners, and there could be something there that certain cats might have and aversion to. On top of that, some cats are just not comfortable anywhere but high up. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the problem on fleas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or