U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 AM

511 posts, read 996,313 times

Advertisements

We have 3 cats, and in order to navigate our bedroom, they will ONLY walk across the tops of the furniture... From the vanity (right inside the door), to the bed, then jump across to the dresser. If they're going the other way, they get on my cedar chest, then jump onto the other dresser and lay there. There's a big, wide open floor area... Why won't they use it?

I think it's kind of funny that all three of them do this, and not just one of them (though there was one who started it...). Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

~D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:33 AM

9,775 posts, read 24,213,568 times
What's on the floor? Tile, rug? And is it different than the rest of the house?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,472,734 times
Cats are funny creatures and they like high places. Have you tired moving thing further away so they will HAVE to walk on the floor.. I would have to do it just to see what happens!

Funnier than that.. My sister had a cute little poodle. Kiki, each day would avoid walking across different spots. One day it would be the rug in the kitchen, the next day it would be the stairs to outside, the next day a certian spot on the wood floor.. Every day, it was something different and watching her get to where she wanted to go was a riot. She'd back up and go fowards, over and over like she was trying to build up her courage to cross that days forbidden path. That was the funniest thing I ever saw! Most of the time, she had to be picked up and put on the other side of that days forbidden path. We never did figure out what was up with that.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,032,180 times
Animals can see ghosts, your floor is haunted.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:17 PM

4,268 posts, read 7,328,969 times
Perhaps your floor is too cold for their delicate little paws ? Or maybe they just got together one day and said, "Hey, let's really mess with the humans and see how freaked out they get?"

On a more serious note, is there anything in or on the flooring that maybe smells funny to them? Did you make any recent changes to the bedroom with new furnishings?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 PM
bjh

20,417 posts, read 12,222,675 times
Dontcha know? The floor is LAVA!

From www.icanhascheezburger.com
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know why all of our cats will not walk on the floor???-catz-lava.bmp  

Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 AM

376 posts, read 1,108,456 times
It's probably just more fun for them...and if one started it, well,.....they don't say "copy cats" for no reason!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:56 PM
bjh

20,417 posts, read 12,222,675 times
It just seems to be in their nature. Maybe their ancestors survived pre-domesticated times by staying off the forest floor.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:47 PM

511 posts, read 996,313 times
Thanks for all the replies, that link is hilarious!

The floor is carpeted, new about a year and a half ago. I think it has something to do with DH leaving his water glass on the vanity. The cats kept knocking it over, trying to drink from it, I guess. BTW, it's on MY side of the bed... Brrr... but he's since switched to bottles, so they can't get into it anymore. I can't help but think that might be part of it. However... They all always jump onto the vanity to walk to the bed.

I'm beginning to think they just don't like the floor anywhere in this house, because they've all taken to getting on the table and countertop to nap, which is a big no-no in our house.

Cats are odd creatures, but they're the best!

~D

Old 04-24-2009, 05:54 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,360,908 times
Our cats acted that way when our house was in fested with fleas. As soon as I got rid of the fleas, they went back to walking on the floors. If they wantd to pass through an area where there was nothing low enough to jump up on, they ran like mad!
I used 20 Mule Team borax and it did a great job of clearing out the fleas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats