U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 8,784,079 times

Advertisements

Yes, blood in the urine is very common. Fletcher had it weeks after the surgery. If the blood lasts longer than a few weeks, take him back to the vet. But what they had told me is that it's good that he's urinating, even if there is some blood. There's a lot of healing happening in there.
The biggest thing is if he stops peeing.

Yes, Fletcher loves when I make "soup" out of his food. He (and all the other cats) love the Purina UR OT/SX prescription food. He loves it dry & crunchy, but also with water in it. He also loves the Cat-It fountain we got, which constantily has water running in it. Cats who have been through this need to drink a lot, and the fountain stimulates them to drink.

Hope Jeff continues to get better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 PM

1,397 posts, read 2,366,179 times
If you have been feeding dry and have already had the PU surgery...what is done is done. Can't turn back the hands of time.

Others that are feeding dry, may want to know that dry kibble is one the MAJOR reasons for blockages in felines. BTDT..unfortunately.

This website, written by a vet with addition education in feline nutrition, saved our male's life (and my pocket book).

Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health

Quote:
If I could have the reader of this webpage take away just one word from this discussion, it would be "water". If your cat is on a properly hydrated diet of 100% canned food - and no dry food - you stand a very good chance of never needing to read this webpage.
Quote:
A cat's normal prey is ~70% water. Canned food is ~78% water. Dry food is ~5-10% water. Cats have a low thirst drive and do not make up the deficit at the water bowl. They are designed to get water with their food.
Quote:
Cats on canned food have been shown to consume at least double the amount of water (from food and water bowl) when compared to a dry food-fed cat.
Quote:
It makes absolutely no sense to feed dry food to any cat - especially one with urinary tract problems.
In a nut shell...DEHYDRATED felines will often have urinating issues. A larger opening isn't a cure for the damage done by dry kibble.

The above quotes, my personal experience, and the following websites...all provide the SAME info.

More Info:
My_Cat_is_Doing_Just_Fine_on_Dry_Food
Feline Nutrition
cat nutrition - home
Nutrition | Little Big Cat
Feline Outreach - Education - Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorders, Cystitis or Urinary Tract Inflammation, Urinary Tract Infections, Crystals

Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM

380 posts, read 94,106 times

The bad information being provided in this thread is mind-numbingly astounding.

OP, do you see ANY flat teeth in there? Just HOW are they supposed to eat CEREAL?!

THEY CAN'T GRIND, NOR CHEW because their JAWS DO NOT ROTATE.

What part of "Naturally low thirst drive" do you not understand?

Cats lack the amylase enzyme in their saliva to break down carbs, period.

Thousands of dollars cat owners are paying to make an opening in a cat's peni.s bigger so it may continue to ear species-inappropriate food.

Incredible...as for wetting kibble, don't even want to go there.

The picture should say all that needs to be said.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,212 times
Thanks for your response, TracySam. And thank you for starting this thread! I can't tell you how comforting it was to read through these pages and feel like I'm not alone. And that Jeff is going to be OK. He's playing, drinking tons more water than before, and being the mischievous cat he always has been. I'll be sure to continue to monitor his urine for the next month or two to make sure he isn't bleeding longer than he should be.

My vet was very impressed that Jeff is eating his prescription kibble. I told her that he likes it with water, which made her even more happier. My cat is known for being incredibly finicky. Apparently, even more so than any cat she's ever encountered before.

Keep taking care of your kitties, guys. We all do the best we can. :]

Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,138,520 times
While I absolutely agree that ALL cats should eat wet food only, especially males, you still need to watch any male cat for signs of blockage. JJ has never eaten kibble in his life for this reason...I saw so many blocked males when I was a tech and I never wanted him to go through that. So JJ was always on a high quality, grain free wet food diet...and STILL developed crystals and blood in his urine. He's just genetically prone to crystals.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
My kitty is almost one week out of his PU surgery. He is doing well, but he is leaking urine while he sleeps. I really hope this goes away as he heals. He never had any urinary problems. He is 4 years old. He was in the hosptial for a week and could never urinate on his own so they did the PU surgery. I also noticed some drips of pee in front of the box. Does this go away as he heals?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 8,784,079 times
I'm pretty sure the leakage is common when they are still recovering from the surgery. Fletcher "dribbled" a little at first. When you think of it, all the tissue around the urethra is swollen, bledding a little, and stitched, (kind of a "Frankenpenis") so it surely will take a little while to heal up. I just remember the first weeks after the surgery being the worst (probably for us more than for him) but then he was better and peeing just fine.
He still loves his Rx food-- Purina UR (so do his brothers and sisters who don't need it, but you can't very well separate them) but the damned price just went up again! I guess I can only go out to lunch 1-2 times a week, as that's not as important as Fletcher's "pee food."

Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 AM

4,308 posts, read 4,955,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm pretty sure the leakage is common when they are still recovering from the surgery. Fletcher "dribbled" a little at first. When you think of it, all the tissue around the urethra is swollen, bledding a little, and stitched, (kind of a "Frankenpenis") so it surely will take a little while to heal up. I just remember the first weeks after the surgery being the worst (probably for us more than for him) but then he was better and peeing just fine.
He still loves his Rx food-- Purina UR (so do his brothers and sisters who don't need it, but you can't very well separate them) but the damned price just went up again! I guess I can only go out to lunch 1-2 times a week, as that's not as important as Fletcher's "pee food."
Sure you can separate them. It's time consuming, that is true, but I have four cats, and they are all on different diets.

I'm glad your Fletcher is doing so well, this is a good thread for anyone having to go through this with their cat.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,512 times
can someone pls tell me what to feed my cat 3months after his pu surgey

Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM

6,399 posts, read 5,545,865 times
Wet food is best for any cat and especially one that has blockage problems. It will keep him hydrated better. He needs all the water he can get so the water in the food helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats