Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I posted a few times how much mine LOVE the Purina UR st/ox. It comes in dry and canned versions, and it's prescription only. Kind of expensive, but worth it. There are people here who are "anti-dry food" but mine have done well on it for years with no re-blocking. They do drink a lot of water. Our guy who actually had FLUTD and the PU surgery eats both the canned and dry. He's really healthy now; his bloodwork repeatedly comes out great, he's peeing just fine, and he's nice & shiny. The other cats eat the Purina UR dry and a different kind of organic canned food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Also, in case this helps anyone else: We tried several different cat drinking fountains. They all get the cats to drink a lot more, especially our FLUTD boy. But most of them lose their power after a while and don't pump very well, or they continually get clogged or slimy even if you clean them well.

The best cat fountain we've found is the "Cat It"

http://www.amazon.com/Catit-Fresh-Cl.../dp/B0015Z3RYK

It's super easy to keep clean, and it doesn't clog. If some cat hair sticks to the intake part of the pump, you just wipe it off, and it pumps really well again. It doesn't pump water up in a "stream" in the air (which is fun and exciting for the cats, but take more power, and loses its power easier). Instead, the water constantly runs over a plastic dome, and the cats lick it from there.

Our cats fight each other to get to the fountain and drink. I swear, I've tried like 6-7 different pet fountains, and this is the best (and one of the cheapest).

Old 10-14-2011, 07:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Cats don't have a natural strong thirst drive. Also, if you are feeding dry...it is HIGHLY likely they are dehydrated.
Change to a species appropriate diet of wet. Your kitties will get the moisture they need from their food.
A lot of RX foods contain salt. Basically, the salt "forces" kitty to seek out water.
If anyone is interested in transitioning their felines to an appropriate diet of wet or raw, this website is written by a DVM that has furthered her education (from the norm) to include feline nutrition.
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

I am BEYOND thankful I was told about the above website years ago. Saved my male from painful and expensive PU surgery.

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/d...-urinary-tract

Last edited by Lola4; 10-14-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2011, 11:25 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Also, in case this helps anyone else: We tried several different cat drinking fountains. They all get the cats to drink a lot more, especially our FLUTD boy. But most of them lose their power after a while and don't pump very well, or they continually get clogged or slimy even if you clean them well.

The best cat fountain we've found is the "Cat It"

Amazon.com: Catit Fresh & Clear Small Drinking Fountain: Pet Supplies

It's super easy to keep clean, and it doesn't clog. If some cat hair sticks to the intake part of the pump, you just wipe it off, and it pumps really well again. It doesn't pump water up in a "stream" in the air (which is fun and exciting for the cats, but take more power, and loses its power easier). Instead, the water constantly runs over a plastic dome, and the cats lick it from there.

Our cats fight each other to get to the fountain and drink. I swear, I've tried like 6-7 different pet fountains, and this is the best (and one of the cheapest).
If only it wasn't plastic.......

Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
We had a problem with our big male cat about three years ago. We noticed something was not right and took him to the vet. Blockage was the diagnosis. A catheter was used to clear the blockage and drain his bladder. Our Vet told us to buy cat food with the urinary tract suppliments/med in it and to mix warm water with his canned food at night to insure that his was drinking enough water. To date we haven't had any more problems. We feed his regular dry cat food in the morning and his canned meat at night. He also gets a small snack of dry food just before bedtime.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
If only it wasn't plastic.......
I treat my cats as well as I treat humans, and eating and drinking off of plastic works for me...

Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I treat my cats as well as I treat humans, and eating and drinking off of plastic works for me...
Some cats have allergies to plastic. Neither my cats, nor I, eat or drink off of anything plastic.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,898 times
I appreciate being able to read these posts. My cat (siamese mix) just had a bladder infection and an ultrasound shows 3 (oxylate) stones in his bladder. My vet told me the perineal urethrostomy is preferrable to a cystomy in my cat's case after doing a urinalysis. He suggested that I be conservative and wait to see if he becomes blocked by a stone before i consider doing the surgery. The 2 primary drawbacks are the pain the cat will experience in recovery and the chance it could change his personality (he has an incredible personality- almost humanlike). He has done many of the surgeries. Initially, I didn't think I would want to put him thru the surgery, but after reading these posts, I'm feeling much more positive about it.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 AM

5 posts, read 16,628 times
Default advise i rec'd from a vet

b4 my lil mr.fafa had pu surgery in july my vet to;d me to go to a flower shop and get a little water fall. it attracts the cats attention and intrest will get him to play as well as lick my water

Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM

5 posts, read 16,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne10 View Post
My vet says that canned food except for CD and SD cause the struvite crystals. So I can't give Peanut anything but CD or SD which he hates. I give syringes of water. Peanut has cystitis is what the vet said and I am waiting to see what more we can do. He is on antibiotics. This is soooooooo frustrating. I don't know what to do!
h i lynne ask your vet about phenopropenalyamine. its a sphencher relaxer. it worked like a charm pre and post my cats pu surgery when he was on antibiotics. Also there are no side affects, and is safe to be given w/ phenopropenallyamina aka ppa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats