Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,445 times

Advertisements

my cat just had his first blockage tonight. got home from work and he kept trying to pee and couldnt. hes at vet for 36 hrs so they can put a cathader in him and try and free blockage. just got home. and scared and nervous. hope everything turns out ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,835 times
A few days ago my 2 year old male cat got completely blocked, for the first time. I took him to the vet who drained him with a catheter, keeping it in overnight while on IV fluids to flush out his bladder. However when the catheter is removed in the morning, he promptly blocks again. It has happened 3 days in a row. My vet is recommending the PU surgery, is it time for the last resort? I'm willing to pay the cost but it seems so drastic. I'm also worried about complications.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 39,631 times
Default PU surgery after one blockage

I am so sorry to hear about more kitties getting blocked. It's amazing how common this is for male cats. We opted for the PU surgery a week ago after only one blockage.

My 2 year old long-hair domestic male got blocked almost 4 weeks ago, was hospitalized with an i.v. and catheter for 3 days/2 nights, and had the hardest time after he returned home. He was in so much pain and urinating everywhere at home - in corners, by the doors, on every little mat and rug in the house, even in the fireplace. We were worried about behavioral issues since he thought the litter boxes were hurting him.

We finally wised up and confined him to a large dog crate with a litter box inside, but he refused to use the litter box and urinated on towels and puppy training pads. Still, the mucus plugs would come through as he strained while urinating and had pain spasms (even with buprenex twice a day).

Last week, we met with a surgeon for a consultation and they took him into surgery for the PU. Our decision to have the PU done was based on lessening our cat's suffering (from getting blocked again and risk of dying if not caught in time) and cost (emergency for blockage is $2600; PU surgery is $2500). Yes, there are risks in any type of surgery but also in being blocked again. He stayed in the hospital overnight and he has been recovering at home with the Elizabethan collar and confined to the kitchen and the dog crate.

He stayed outside of the crate unattended for the first time today which was a huge mistake. He was able to rip off the E-collar and lick his sutured area. It's not a surprise as he ripped off the collar in the hospital and also ripped out his catheter while there. It's been a week since surgery so I hope this didn't do much damage. It seems he is bleeding a little, possibly just blood clots. He's back to being confined to the crate again. He seems calmer and more restful in the crate.

He is eating well (on canned Hill's Prescription Diet C/D) but doesn't seem thirsty. I hand feed him water with a syringe. We take the collar off so he can eat, fully monitored. I add more water to his wet food (a tip I found on this forum) which he laps up eagerly. He uses the litter box filled with Yesterday's News (recycled paper litter pellets) and has only pooped 3 times in the past week. I called the vet and they said the pooping less was normal because of the pain meds. He was only on pain meds for 5 days.

He seems much more like himself (and even more affectionate) after the PU surgery than he did coming home from the blockage. We're happy with him using the litter box again. He continues to hate the E-collar and looks awkward. I know it's a little early to fully determine, but I think we made the right decision for our kitty.

I scheduled his sutures to be removed (under anesthesia) after Christmas, since that will 2 weeks and 2 days.

Thank you for this forum and for all the information shared on your own experiences with your cats, FLUTD, and PU surgery. Best wishes and take care, Everyone!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,835 times
A follow up on what happened to my case a couple of posts ago: It was a weekend and my cat would have to wait until monday to get surgery, so he was at the vet with an urinary catheter in. Somehow, he managed to push out the catheter overnight and when they went to check on him in the morning he had peed by himself. He has since come home and didn't need the surgery after all.

I read somewhere that FLUTD episodes can last up to a week. At least for me, the moral of the story is don't rush the PU after only the first few days. But if my cat gets blocked again, I'll take him straight to surgery, if it happens twice it's likely it'll just keep happening. I've since changed his diet to 100% wet urinary S/O so I'm hoping that will prevent future occurrences.

Best of luck to all with your cats!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrave View Post
A follow up on what happened to my case a couple of posts ago: It was a weekend and my cat would have to wait until monday to get surgery, so he was at the vet with an urinary catheter in. Somehow, he managed to push out the catheter overnight and when they went to check on him in the morning he had peed by himself. He has since come home and didn't need the surgery after all.

I read somewhere that FLUTD episodes can last up to a week. At least for me, the moral of the story is don't rush the PU after only the first few days. But if my cat gets blocked again, I'll take him straight to surgery, if it happens twice it's likely it'll just keep happening. I've since changed his diet to 100% wet urinary S/O so I'm hoping that will prevent future occurrences.

Best of luck to all with your cats!
Good advice, thanks for the follow up! Hope your boy has a long happy healthy life with no more blockages, ever.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Agree. The best advice from the emergency vets we saw was "three strikes." By the 3rd blockage, go for the PU.

BTW, this time of year is great for FLUTD cats! Cats can't seem to resist drinking from the bottom of the Christmas tree, but at least they're getting more water in them than usual! We fill up the tree stand twice a day, and I KNOW the tree isn't that thirsty.

If you could have a Christmas tree up all year, all cats might decide to properly hydrate themselves. Instead we resort to fountains, wet food, Rx food that makes them thirsty, syringes, etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Agree. The best advice from the emergency vets we saw was "three strikes." By the 3rd blockage, go for the PU.

BTW, this time of year is great for FLUTD cats! Cats can't seem to resist drinking from the bottom of the Christmas tree, but at least they're getting more water in them than usual! We fill up the tree stand twice a day, and I KNOW the tree isn't that thirsty.

If you could have a Christmas tree up all year, all cats might decide to properly hydrate themselves. Instead we resort to fountains, wet food, Rx food that makes them thirsty, syringes, etc.

Christmas tree water is not a good thing for cats to drink, as pine is toxic to cats.

In addition, "fresh cut" trees are often sprayed with fire retardants and preservatives that are then seeped into the water.

Please, regardless of whether you bought the tree on a lot, or cut it yourself, don't let your cats drink the tree water, cover it up so they can't get to it.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
We try, believe me, but they get to it anyway. After all these years, no problems. We get our trees from the same place every year that guarantees no chemicals, or I'd be more concerned. And if there is something in pine that can harm cats, either mine are immune, or it's not really seeping out of the tree into the water with any major concentration(the water is mostly going in the opposite direction, up into the tree).

Old 12-21-2011, 09:09 AM

The water reservoir can be covered, or you can purchase an enclosed water reservoir.

I'm glad your cats are fine, but I reiterate my warning to the general public. It's just not worth the risk, in my opinion. All it takes is once.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM

9 posts, read 44,289 times
Hi ! I'm going through the same 3 strike thing with my cat right now . He's only 2 years old and he's been blocked the vet is saying that after they try one more time he's gonna need to surgery if unseccessful again , should I be worried about getting him the surgery? Will the problems still occur?? Help please ! Thanks so much !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats