Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,117 times

Advertisements

I am sending my 3 year old baby boy Vinny for the PU surgery today.
So very relieved to hear many happy endings to their suffering and it brings me peace of mind that my buddy will be ok.

I have a wonderful vet who didn't want to wait after trying the the unblocking once because of how many stones he was passing. Thank you for all of your possitive stories and keep us in your prayers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
My boy, Teddy, is at the vet for a blockage and kidney infection. He has had a catheter for 2 days and the vet is waiting today to see if he will need this surgery. I hope Vinny is feeling better.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I hope Vinny and Teddy are both doing well!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:41 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Hello Gang: Happy to have found this forum and this thread. We had our cat Kink to the vet and he was diagnoses with a blocked urinary tract. The vet did the surgery to unblock the tract. The next day he was blocked again. This happened 3 times in the week he was with them.

The vet said tht the P U surgery was the only next option.

We found a vet who has done these surgeries before, not Board Certified, but he assured us that he had done many P U's over the years.

Surgery went fine. A week later we brought him home. It took two or three days before he was his good ole normal self. He plays with his little housemate, eats and drinks fine.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the cat has disowned me. This was a few weeks after the surgery.
He lets my wife pick him up and acts normally with her. If he sees me he walks away. If I walk into a room where he is he will leave the room. If I touch him he gets upset. If I offer him treats he is not interested. He glares at me when I look at him.

I assume that cat is blaming me for the fact that the surgery changed him. Will my cat ever be my friend again or have I lost him?

Any suggestions to get back on my pal's good side?

Old 08-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Have your wife NOT feed him or pet him for a while, so that all food and cuddling come from you. He can't possibly consciously blame you for anything.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Hi I have been reading almost every website about PU surgery for cats. My 12 year old male cat Mephisto, who I've had since he was a wee kitten, just had PU surgery and is still in recovery at the vet. He had the surgery on friday morning after having 3 recurrent bladder blockages and 3 unblockings by catheterization all within a few weeks. My vet recommended the PU surgery as he would most likely just block up very soon again so I agreed to do all I possibly can to save him as he is otherwise healthy besides the bladder/urinary issues. It is sunday night now and I will probably be able to pick him up tomorrow hopefully as he is my companion and I miss him. This forum is helping me to know what to expect from the recovery stage so I'm very thankful for everybody's input. I will probably post updates of how he does throughout his recovery period. Im optimistic that he will heal fast and fully and continue to live longer and live a happy healthy life.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Hi I wasn't able to pick Mephisto up today because he is still not wanting to eat and is having some complications that I hope can be resolved. I was able to go visit him at the vet's today for about 15 minutes. He didn't even really respond to me normally because of the trauma of surgery and being in a strange place is probably not helping. He is a very timid cat who doesn't like people much so i'm sure it's really stressful for poor mephisto. He was breathing heavily at the vets and didn't seem like himself but I'm hoping that will all change once I get him back home. I was reluctant to give him the surgery because I didn't want him to go through anymore pain but if he lives longer while being happy and healthy then it will all be worth it and thats what I'm hoping for. I will post updates as they happen. Thanks

Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM

Keep us updated. Prayers and love to Mephisto!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
I wish I had seen this when my cat first had obstruction. So much great info here!
My boy Papi first obstructed last Sept 2013, took him to an amazing facility just outside of Boston and they brought him back from near death. That bill was $2700. to me that was money well spent. Papi was smooth sailing until this past August 27, 2014 and it happened again. Back to the Vet he went and they unblocked him again. Shelled out another $2700 and they put him on RX Iams food @ $65.00 per case. He hated the food but my other cat loved it, go figure. The Dr spoke to me about getting the PU procedure for him or this will continue happening. I planned on letting Papi recover and I had just applied for a loan to do some updates on my home and figured I'd use some of the for the PU surgery, I figured about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, my beautiful step son passed away just a few days after Papi was unblocked. I had to have my sister come over to stay with Papi and give him his meds etc. He's a very skiddish cat so he really didn't go near her so she wasn't able to give him his meds. I was gone for about 7 days and Papi appeared to be fine and was bombing around the house as usual. Everything was on the back burner now, just trying to deal with my step son passing. Well, this past Thurs it happened again but I caught it very early and told them to go ahead and do the PU. They did it this past Friday at about 1pm and Papi came home Saturday afternoon the PU cost $3700. Oh Lord, he was tore up! His whole bottom was shaved and stitches poking out everywhere, all bruised, e-collar... a real mess. Thankfully he was looped. He did well for the rest of the day. I had him in a spare bedroom with a litterbox, food, water and his little cat house. I slept in the room with him just in case, everything was fine. At one point I woke up and he was laying on my chest (bloody butt area and all) Sunday went well, gave him his meds and he seemed to be on the mend. Around 2pm yesterday (Monday) he seemed to get very unhappy. He wasn't eating much or drinking and hadn't used the litter box for a while.

At about 11pm he really started getting worse. I tried picking him up and he let out a cry and his eyes were fixated... just staring off into space. So I packed him up and went to the Vet, thankfully they're open 24/7. They checked him out and couldn't find anything wrong but wanted to keep him to observe. The always give you a approx bill for the plan of action so that was $320... not to mention about $80 in cabs back and forth, the husband works nights and he took my keys with him! The Dr called me this morning and said he was fine overnight and they suspect one of the meds was causing him to have an upset stomach so they said not to give it to him again (he'll be taking a anti spasm pill now) He only got that other pill once a day in the morning after eating. It makes sense because I gave him the pill yesterday morning and his decline began several hrs later. I'll be picking him up in a few hours and praying all will be fine now. I'll update in a few days.

Just want to add that I was talking with one of the Dr's last night and she asked me what Papi's personality is like. I told her that he's a skiddish cat. He hides when anyone comes over, he jumps with loud sounds, mainly only intereact with me and my other cat and my dog. She told me that although it's not written in stone, they see that cats who go through this are often nervous type cats and neutered. She asked me how old he was when he got neutered and he was about 2 years old (he's 6 now) I asked way and she said they sometimes see this in cats neutered under 8 months old, again, this is only her and her team's observations. She also asked me if anything had gone on before any of these obstructions started. So I thought about it for a moment... the first time it happened last year I couldn't really put my finger on anything, when it happened again this past August we had a sewer line break in my basement a week prior and we had workmen and jackhammers... Bingo! Massive stress. Then when it happened again last week I had been out of town for my step sons funeral ... Another big stress for him. I have a normally quiet home, our kids are grown and our life is very peaceful, generally. Not sure if this applies to others but I'd be interested in knowing if your cats had a stressful event prior to getting obstructed.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Hmmm, not mine. I've had two boy cats with FLUTD: one who didn't need the PU and Fletcher, the subject of my original post.

They were both neutered under 1 year old, but that is standard. Neither of them were skittish or nervous cats. Norman was a big calm lovable cuddler, who took everything in stride, even the vacuum cleaner. Fletcher was very active and curious about noises, visitors, etc, and was never fearful. My vet had said that males who are overweight tend to have a higher rate of FLUTD, and they were both kind of chubby.

I hope your guy does well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats