Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

We still need two recliners and are considering leather but we have two 22 lb rag doll cats who still have their claws. They are trained to use scratching post so that is not the worry. just the leaping and jumping from tops of furniture all around the house and wonder if two frisky big cats would not go with leather furniture. Is leather furniture sweaty on bare legs? Why do people buy leather furniture except that it is the trend?
thanks for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 PM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
We buy leather because you can just wipe it down and you don't have to worry about dust mites. I think cats like to scratch leather so it just depends on your cats. The nice thing is that you can just wipe the cat odor or cat hairs right off without anything getting into your furniture. I haven't noticed sweaty legs, but I have noticed that a lot of leather couches are not comfortable so you really have to shop around for a comfy one. The Lazy Boy furniture store is a good start and they have a lot of leather selections.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
nope. we just bought a brand new leather ottoman a few months back. two weeks after delivery, it looks like hell and we have to keep a blanket on it. they don't use it as a scratching post but the running and jumping around took its toll.

as to leather being uncomfortable, yes. i personally do NOT prefer leather, but the wife likes it.

Mike

Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 PM

80 posts, read 687,989 times
Cats and nice furniture just do NOT mix, period!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 05:45 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Just recently bought a new set of gorgeous leather furniture.( 2 recliners and a 9 ft. sofa!) Have always had leather....Moved the old set into the game room. I have 5 cats...and not a one of them EVER kneads on the leather. In fact, it was the reason, in the first place we went with the leather. They have been taught to leave it...I'll admit, I have the occasional scratch that comes from them jumping up on it when they play....but nothing deep and it rubs right out with leather conditioner. Believe me, I wouldn't have spent the money I did, if I thought they'd ruin it! Leather works for us!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
A couple of months ago we bought two very comfortable, and very expensive, leather recliners with leather leg stools.
We also have nine cats with claws.

The secret to peaceful co-existence is:

1. We love our cats more than our furniture.
2. We have a general non-materialistic attitude.
3. We don't really care how the furniture looks, or what anyone else thinks of it.
4. We never forget that no matter how much they claw it up, they can never damage it so badly that it won't hold our fat butts and two or three cats.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
A couple of months ago we bought two very comfortable, and very expensive, leather recliners with leather leg stools.

3. We don't really care how the furniture looks, or what anyone else thinks of it.
4. We never forget that no matter how much they claw it up, they can never damage it so badly that it won't hold our fat butts and two or three cats.
Lol! I inherited a beautiful set of leather furniture from my uncle when he sold me his house, and it was in mint condition...but not for long ... my cats absolutely love to scratch and drag on leather (which I never knew because it was my first set ever...) I can live without fabulous furniture, but I would be lost without my cats so it matters very little to me.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM

244 posts, read 718,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

amen. If their front claws don't scratch the leather, their back one's catch it as they make a flying leap into the air

I personally still like leather, b/c I am allergic to my one kitty, so I can just wipe everything down. Also, the other kitty likes to steal food left on the counter. The other day he got into some yogurt treats hubby left out. I had yogurt smeared all over the leather couch. I was just grateful I didn't have microfiber, etc..

Good Luck

Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I have had cats for years and years, and used to have some leather furniture. Yes, they do not mix. Cats won't intentionally try to claw leather -- it lacks the sort of texture that is attractive to them. However, they invariably get claw scratches into the leather from incidental contact, mostly with their back nails. Unless you have very sedate, inactive cats, your leather furniture will probably be looking crap in a couple years time.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,960 times
No. We were given a leather couch about a year ago and I can already tell that the cats have been on it. They don't scratch it, but just from running/jumping across it I can see marks. But I'm like Fat Freddy - don't really care.

I'm just glad we didn't pay for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats