Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 46,291 times

Advertisements

Yes, he is very old, I can deal with it being his time to go, but let me tell you. Up until yesterday afternoon, he was just as healthy as a cat in its prime, minus the arthritis and hyperactive thyroid. Now he can't get up, not event to use the bathroom. He was just at the vet 3 weeks ago, and his bloodwork was still working fine, in regards to his kidneys. We think it's his back that's hurting him. It's a Saturday, so his vet who has been seeing him since he was a month old is closed, and tomorrow is Sunday, leaving us to wait until Monday to take him to his vet. I've contemplated the E-vet that we've taken him and other pets to before, but they seriously have demonstrated that they misdiagnose problems and overdramatize things that are only emergencies because we can't take them to their normal vet and don't want them to die. I don't know what to do for him, we've given him more glucosamine, fish oils, pedialyte, arnica, chicken broth...he still purrs and acknowledges us and takes water and food but can't get up himself to eat out of a bowl or go potty. We are going to try placing him in the box again but it's so tricky.

I just want him to die without pain if it's his time to go, but if it's something treatable and the medication is not detrimental to his health in a short period of time after he sees the E-vet, then of course we want to extend his life, but ONLY if he isn't still suffering the way he is now. He doesn't cry out in pain or anything, but we can tell...any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Cats are very stoic and you might not be able to tell he's in pain. Mama cats purr while giving birth, it's not a sign of pleasure but of sociability or approachability.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:49 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
Can he get up or he just feels really weak. what's his temp? what color are his gums?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 46,291 times
I really think he would have shown effort to get up moreso than he has, all I've seen him do is stretch his legs out. I know he wants to get up and move around, but he can't. I have no idea what his temp is, or for sure what his gums are like. I don't live at home anymmore, I visit often and that's where he is. When I was feeding him I think I would've noticed pale gums, and he could still make spit and all that good stuff.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:05 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekearu View Post
Yes, he is very old, I can deal with it being his time to go, but let me tell you. Up until yesterday afternoon, he was just as healthy as a cat in its prime, minus the arthritis and hyperactive thyroid. Now he can't get up, not event to use the bathroom. He was just at the vet 3 weeks ago, and his bloodwork was still working fine, in regards to his kidneys. We think it's his back that's hurting him. It's a Saturday, so his vet who has been seeing him since he was a month old is closed, and tomorrow is Sunday, leaving us to wait until Monday to take him to his vet. I've contemplated the E-vet that we've taken him and other pets to before, but they seriously have demonstrated that they misdiagnose problems and overdramatize things that are only emergencies because we can't take them to their normal vet and don't want them to die. I don't know what to do for him, we've given him more glucosamine, fish oils, pedialyte, arnica, chicken broth...he still purrs and acknowledges us and takes water and food but can't get up himself to eat out of a bowl or go potty. We are going to try placing him in the box again but it's so tricky.I just want him to die without pain if it's his time to go, but if it's something treatable and the medication is not detrimental to his health in a short period of time after he sees the E-vet, then of course we want to extend his life, but ONLY if he isn't still suffering the way he is now. He doesn't cry out in pain or anything, but we can tell...any ideas?
I think it is time for your kitty to go to kitty heaven. I have an 18 year old kitty and I know the next time she goes to the vet it is going to be an iffy situation with her as well. She has no leg or back issues but she is frequently missing her litter box all together. We have been cleaning up urine in front of the box, on the side of the box...mostly in the box but she does miss. Her breath is really bad as well so I am concerned that she either has some cancer in her stomach or perhaps a few bad teeth. We have had her since she was a kitten, so I know how you feel.

I guess the big question here is are you keeping her alive for her sake or because you don't want to feel the loss? I know it hurts and I am going to be heart broken when ours has to be put down but it is an important part of being a pet owner; not a fun part just something we all do as pet owners. My heart goes out to you and your kitty.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I just want to say that cats purr when they are frightened or in pain too. When I had to take one of my cats to be euthanized, he died purring. It was heartbreaking and still is.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I just want to say that cats purr when they are frightened or in pain too. When I had to take one of my cats to be euthanized, he died purring. It was heartbreaking and still is.
Ours has NEVER EVER purred at the vets office and I don't think she ever will.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I also had one who purred while being given the shot to end his life and he had never purred at the vet before. It was like he knew this was good for him.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I also had one who purred while being given the shot to end his life and he had never purred at the vet before. It was like he knew this was good for him.
WOW! That's amazing! I hope we don't end up having ours euthanized,but if we do....I hope she goes that way.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekearu View Post
Yes, he is very old, I can deal with it being his time to go, but let me tell you. Up until yesterday afternoon, he was just as healthy as a cat in its prime, minus the arthritis and hyperactive thyroid. Now he can't get up, not event to use the bathroom.

I just want him to die without pain if it's his time to go, but if it's something treatable and the medication is not detrimental to his health in a short period of time after he sees the E-vet, then of course we want to extend his life, but ONLY if he isn't still suffering the way he is now. He doesn't cry out in pain or anything, but we can tell...any ideas?
Maybe kitty's time is up--19 yo is a pretty old cat. If so, you have my sympathy. It's so sad to lose a beloved pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats