Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times

Advertisements

If you have read any of my other threads or comments,you are aware that our furbaby is dealing with terminal fibrosarcoma cancer. A huge problem we have now that we could really use help with is this: We live close to the beach and people like to come visit this time of the year. We don't want to alienate anyone or jeopardize our relationships,but we want her last days to be peaceful. There is no peace for her with other people here especially if they have loud,rambunctious children. She hid under the cover last summer and she hadn't even had her first surgery yet, so we know she will be very upset and uncomfortable now. We had hoped people would understand what we're going through and not want to come,but no such luck. Actually,we're not very good company ourselves right now and we don't like to leave her any more than we have to. In other words,she is our top priority right now. It's like we have a child in hospice care. We certainly aren't up to entertaining. Are we wrong to feel this way? Are we asking too much for them to wait until she dies to come visit? Any opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Are we being selfish and self-centered to put her first or are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
By allowing people to come into your home for a vacation, you are doing them a favor. I don't think you owe anyone anything, not even an explanation.

You are in a period of grieving. You are absolutely right to put yourselves and your family member first at this time.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:38 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Your furbaby is your immediate family and her feelings and yours should come before friends and family. You don't know how much time you have left with her and you will have regrets if you don't take as much as time with her as you can. Many people don't understand that connection and those are the ones who should not be at your home during this time. Quite frankly, they wouldn't be staying in my home at all if they didn't understand that. If any of them are close to your furbaby and you think that she wouldn't be upset, then let them come. Otherwise, you are in a time of grieving and you need to take the fime for yourselves. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,800 times
I am putting off many things right now to be here for our elderly dog. He doesn't have long (he's 17 years old) and no, I don't feel it is wrong at all - I have to live with the guilt and regret if anything happened to him if I was gone.

People can stay in hotels. Don't worry if they don't understand, and if they are too selfish to understand, that is their problem.

Sorry about your cat. You are doing the right thing.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:17 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your thoughts. It is a comfort and relief to know that others share our feelings. I wish everyone were as thoughtful and understanding. God bless you all.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
You are not running a bed and breakfast. This is your home. This animal is a member of your family. Do what you feel is right. Anyone who disagrees with you is really not your friend and shouldn't be invited into your home at any time.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I can only echo what others have said. It is your life to live as YOU see fit. Do what you want to do without guilt. My sympathies to you and your furbaby.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I agree with everyone here...don't feel guilty about putting your beloved companion first! If people want to be selfish and get upset, that's their problem. A true friend will understand where you're coming from and not be pushy during this difficult time...I'm sorry you're going through all this, and my heart goes out to all of you!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I also agree with the others. The furbaby comes first. Her last days should be as pleasant as possible.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
We had a seriously ill cat with IBD. She threw up often and in great volume. She needed lots of TLC and meds. We didn't invite people over and didn't really go anywhere for months. Just like you said - we were running a hospice. Once she passed on, life returned to normal. We go places, do things and have people over.

This will pass and you will be glad you folloed your heart. Family and friends will embrace your return to their lives - if they don't, too bad for them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats