U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 02:25 PM

83 posts, read 325,470 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment and I have a tabby that gets grease from the cars on him, how can I keep him clean other than keep him inside because he is an outside cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,276,421 times
It goes without saying really. If he is an outside cat, then good luck trying to keep him clean.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,861,015 times
You can try putting hair conditioner on him before you let him out. And hopefully not too much grease will be absorbed, but it might leave it easier to clean him off.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:47 PM

341 posts, read 1,339,370 times
You bigger concern is his/her grease consumption trying to clean himself off. I won't tell you what a majority of we Vets & Vet Techs think about people allowing cats outside (tsk tsk) BUT... chemicals & the like (oil, antifreeze,grease,etc.) are toxic to your kitty. You won't prevent him from getting into the grease. Try to check him daily & remove it with a touch of cornstarch sprinkled on & wiped off with an old rough terry towel. TC!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM

653 posts, read 3,085,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
I live in an apartment and I have a tabby that gets grease from the cars on him, how can I keep him clean other than keep him inside because he is an outside cat.
What Is he doing-giving the cars a "Lube Job"?? Sorry, couldn't resist that one. SERIOUSLY, you should do everything possible in preventing him from comming in contact with motor oils. These oils are toxic for sure. You can safely clean your pet with DAWN dishwashing liquid. It will remove the grease and is not harmful to animals. Good Luck!!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,550,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
It goes without saying really. If he is an outside cat, then good luck trying to keep him clean.
Funny! How about an oversized hamster ball!

Old 10-16-2016, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 637 times
The rule of chemistry is "Like Dissolves Like" so use mineral oil or Maybelline Mascara remover . Both of those are oil based and 99% oils. Do not use any product that has anything other than oil. Even vegetable oil would work and be safer for them to lick off afterwards. My all white cat just came in with a Charlie Chaplin mustache from axle grease (black grease on both whisker areas) I applied some Maybelline mascara remover for non water soluble materials (oil) and every bit of it came off. I applied a little with some on a Kleenex and then I wiped the residue off and now no more Charlie Chaplin!

Vinegar is 5% Acetic Acid and will not remove oils as it is an inorganic chemical, the opposite of grease or car oil, which is an organic chemical. It will also burn cat's sensitive skin.

Dawn is okay for dogs because they will let you rinse them off after application, but not cats since it is almost impossible to rinse a cat. In general, is is best to use something that we can eat and not get sick. Dawn is a little harsh and takes more work to get off the oil/grease because the soap is a surfactant that works by bonding with the oil first and breaking it into water soluble molecules that can be rinsed off.

The Oil dissolves Oil is a much better rule of thumb to follow, quicker and safer way to remove any grease or oil product from fur, paws, etc. GOOP is oil based but it also has lye in it that would burn any skin if not removed immediately with water. I would not use GOOP on any animal.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:06 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,717,175 times
Sounds like he's mechanically inclined. Perhaps a set of overalls.

https://andreamichellelim.files.word...316-234107.jpg

Old 10-16-2016, 04:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 635,961 times
Now, antifreeze I would worry about poisoning. But grease? Will just pass through the digestive system. Heck, petroleum jelly is a fix for hairballs! Still, common petroleum oils and grease won't likely be good for a cat's health, either, so I'd vote for the cornstarch and rough towel suggestion.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Status: "I'm late because I don't want to be here." (set 13 hours ago)

986 posts, read 539,796 times
Try to keep him indoors: there is just so many dangers for cats nowadays. And with winter coming they can climb into car engine compartments and then it.s lights out for car AND kitty.
An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or