U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post

I've never heard of vets getting kick-backs for selling food and medicine, and I've worked for a number of vets. I don't know where that idea comes from. d.
This is just one of many -- an extremely thorough Harvard Law Paper where J. Patrick leaves no stone unturned:

Incestuous Pet Food Regulation Allows Consumers to Feed their Pets Ring Dings and Krispy Kremes

Straight from a Veterinarian's Blog:

http://www.dolittler.com/2007/06/14/...t.6.14.07.html

Research Evidence: http://tedeboy.tripod.com/drmichaelwfox/id88.html (broken link)

Plenty more if you google for "why vets sell science diet"...

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-09-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,871,285 times
The problem is all cats won't eat wet food. Months ago,I went on a rampage to try and get my 5 to go on an all wet food diet. I realize it is healthier. At first my 5 nibbled...I must have tried 10 different foods...all the high quality, best brands I could find. Sure they'd eat the junk food such as Fancy Feast...but that was akin to giving my kids McDonalds every day. After weeks of them turning up their noses at all the wet foods, I just reverted back to Wellness. I'm lucky in the fact, they all love to drink and play in water. The food you feed is only healthy for them if they actually EAT it.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,215 times
They actually get addicted, not only to the crunch (like they'd get in a mouse or bird), but to the preservatives and other stuff used for dry foods.

Here's a thread about it: Help me convert my kitties to canned!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Been there and read all the threads. There is no forcing them into eating something they simply will not eat. Each time...they would eat the canned for a max of 3 days...sometimes shorter, sometimes not at all...and then just quit eating. And as stubborn as they are...they actually quit eating all together after about 10 brands. I would try each brand a few days running...
So...it was back to Wellness Core dry.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM

460 posts, read 3,114,643 times
Thanks for all the inconclusive lol but interesting replies. I just thought it strange for a cat not to get some nice canned food and a little milk since that's how we always took care of our cats along with plenty of hard food + water too. So like mentioned when I asked my mom and she said all she ever gives her cat is hard food and water my initial reacion was does that constitute cat abuse lol because of how we fed ours.

Unfortunately our problem with cats has had nothing to do with diet but rather with almost all of them being run over by cars and always on residential streets where the speed limit is only 25 mph. We have 3 cats buried in our backyard now which are the 3 we've had over the past 20 yrs and idk how many you need to have an officilal pet semetary going but we're sort of working on it sad to say. I hope to be reunited in heaven with all of them one day though and can honestly say pets make some of the best friends a person will ever have

Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 PM

605 posts, read 2,556,047 times
I do have a 14-year old cat who will only eat dry. She won't even eat shredded turkey/beef/chicken people food. She was given dry from the time she was a kitten most likely (I adopted her as an adult) and doesn't recognize canned food as being food.

I have been feeding her a high-quality dry (Wellness Core) for a few years. She got Science Diet for years before that.

Sad to say, today I found out she is NOT "doing fine" on dry. Yesterday she stopped eating and started vomiting bile. I brought her to the vet this morning, had Xrays done, and one of her kidneys is greatly enlarged. Her other kidney is gone. The vet thinks it died off and her one kidney is doing all the work.

I am still waiting on her bloodwork to be run so we can figure out a course of treatment - if this is even treatable.

If you can spare some good thoughts, my cat Abby and I (I broke down crying at the vet's office) could use them.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I do have a 14-year old cat who will only eat dry. She won't even eat shredded turkey/beef/chicken people food. She was given dry from the time she was a kitten most likely (I adopted her as an adult) and doesn't recognize canned food as being food.

I have been feeding her a high-quality dry (Wellness Core) for a few years. She got Science Diet for years before that.

Sad to say, today I found out she is NOT "doing fine" on dry. Yesterday she stopped eating and started vomiting bile. I brought her to the vet this morning, had Xrays done, and one of her kidneys is greatly enlarged. Her other kidney is gone. The vet thinks it died off and her one kidney is doing all the work.

I am still waiting on her bloodwork to be run so we can figure out a course of treatment - if this is even treatable.

If you can spare some good thoughts, my cat Abby and I (I broke down crying at the vet's office) could use them.
Sending good vibes for a good outcome on the tests. It is always hard to determine with the Seniors!
I decided to try Evo....which I just bought this morning....Have seen every one nibble....We'll see....they wouldn't touch the can stuff

Old 06-10-2009, 01:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,976,804 times
ShelbyGirl1: My thoughts go out to you and Abby. It may not be the dry food that is to blame, though. My two 14-year-olds are doing fine so far, but 14 is old for a cat and the inevitable will happen. I've made that awful trip to the vet's to say goodbye several times, and it never gets any easier. I hope Abby makes it. We do get attached to our furpeople. My two old guys are my family.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
ShelbyGirl1: My thoughts go out to you and Abby. It may not be the dry food that is to blame, though. My two 14-year-olds are doing fine so far, but 14 is old for a cat and the inevitable will happen. I've made that awful trip to the vet's to say goodbye several times, and it never gets any easier. I hope Abby makes it. We do get attached to our furpeople. My two old guys are my family.
Catman.....It is HannaB that owns Abby, not I....but I'm sure your thoughts are well appreciated!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 PM

1,975 posts, read 3,261,287 times
Hanna B. I am so sorry about your baby. I'm going through this right now with my 14 yr. old. He had xrays that showed an enlarged kidney. I would really like to know what your vet decides to do. After the blood work came back my vet said it is a kidney infection and put him on Baytril for 14 days. He's gone through the first 7 days of Baytril and he is just getting worse. He has a lot of other things going on...diabetes and a tumor on his toe. He ate dry food his whole life. I've tried to switch all 5 cats to wet food and they will not eat it

I'm sending hugs and kitty kisses your way. I hope everything works out for the both of you.

If you could please let me know what your vet decides to do, I would really appreciate it. Good luck to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or