U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,300 times

Advertisements

I've just added wet food to my cats' diets this year. All my cats are seniors now and 2 of them were getting constant urinary tract infections. The vet recommended adding canned food since some cats will develop the UTI's when they don't drink enough. The canned food did the trick. For years the cats wouldn't even try canned food but now they eat the canned mixed with some dry. I get the Hills Prescription diet too since they are all older and since I've done this we haven't had to have them on antibiotics and we've stopped the frequent vet visits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,972,242 times
My 14-year-old cats love the Hill's Prescription dry "c/d" diet and are doing fine. I'm happy to know that they drink a LOT of water. I keep it clean and the bowl full to encourage them to do so.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,196,526 times
I have a cat who lived on my front porch after being abandoned by his next door owners. I only fed him dry food hoping he would go somewhere else and find a better home. When 2 of my cats died and I only had one left, I invited him in and gave him a home. I always leave a good amount of dry food and ample water at all times and I feed chicken or canned met to my older cat twice a day. PK (porch kitty) is not the least bit interested in the meat or canned food. However, he does spend time outside, so he may be hunting for his meat.
As long as the cat is healthy and has a good coat, I wouldn't worry too much about what he is eating.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,591,716 times
I feed my two hard and wet, and I stay away from the dry foods that have food coloring in them.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,201,458 times
My vet told me a few years ago, I should try to get my two to eat canned, in addition to the dry. They don't care for the textures. If I get the 'gravy" type, they lick the gravy and leave the food, so I get the "ground up" type and they will eat some, about 1 tablespoon each. they just don't like the texture. I know they are getting enough water, just about every room in my house has water bowls....kitchen has 2, bath has 2 bowls, plus the sink, plus I splash water in the tub for Bubba to lay in and lick up.... water isn't the issue... It's all trial and error. and since Bubba has dental issues, I keep pushing the canned, they just don't care for it...

Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 PM

605 posts, read 2,555,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
ShelbyGirl1: My thoughts go out to you and Abby. It may not be the dry food that is to blame, though. My two 14-year-olds are doing fine so far, but 14 is old for a cat and the inevitable will happen. I've made that awful trip to the vet's to say goodbye several times, and it never gets any easier. I hope Abby makes it. We do get attached to our furpeople. My two old guys are my family.
Yes, Abby is mine. It may or may not have been the food, but I did find this (Source: Little Big Cat):
Quote:
Long-term feeding of an all-dry-food diet is also suspected as a factor in CRF. Cats' kidneys are highly efficient and adapted to life in the desert, where they would get most or all of their water from eating their prey. Cats eating dry cat food take in only half the water that cats on a canned or homemade diet get; this chronic dehydration can cause stress on the kidneys over time. Dry diets also predispose cats to lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD, LUTD, FUS, crystals, stones, cystitis) because they force such a high degree of urine concentration. Chronic or recurrent bladder disease may also be a factor in the development of CRF.
I have to start my girl on sub-q's today. She hates to be messed with so this is not going to be fun.

I don't feel that 14 is old for a cat. Many cats live into their 20's these days with all the medical advances. I am not willing to believe she is old at 14. I too believed she was getting enough water. She is obsessed with the water bowl!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,060,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yeah.

My cats also prefer dry food. No amount of manipulation or withholding the dry food on my part will get them to eat wet food on a regular basis. So I buy them the best dry food I can afford, give them wet food in the hopes that they'll at least lick off the gravy, make sure they have plenty of water (I entice them with ice cubes; they love to bat them around in the bowl) and am done with it.
This is because cats get addicted to dry food, and you have to work hard to break that addiction. It can be done, but it takes persistence!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,188,497 times
Here is a lady who also learned it all the hard way. With the advice and personal support of both Drs. Pierson and Hodgkins, she has some excellent and encouraging advice here:

Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/faq.php#persuading - broken link)

(She does feed Raw, and the first several paragraphs do pertain to that, but she covers everything quite thoroughly.)

Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 AM

HannaB my best wishes for your kitty. 14 is certainly not old in this day and age, but we have to give the best care we can and allow for genetics. Not every cat is able to live to be 100 years old in people years just as not every person is. I know you will give your kitty the best care you can to help her live out her lifetime.
You are a good kittymomma. Cudos to You.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
My vet told me a few years ago, I should try to get my two to eat canned, in addition to the dry. They don't care for the textures. If I get the 'gravy" type, they lick the gravy and leave the food, so I get the "ground up" type and they will eat some, about 1 tablespoon each. they just don't like the texture. I know they are getting enough water, just about every room in my house has water bowls....kitchen has 2, bath has 2 bowls, plus the sink, plus I splash water in the tub for Bubba to lay in and lick up.... water isn't the issue... It's all trial and error. and since Bubba has dental issues, I keep pushing the canned, they just don't care for it...
Cats eat with their nose first. It could be that the food they are getting is just not the right smell for them. They also like to share your food. That is how I got my 23 yr old cat to eat chicken. He would share pieces of my dinner with me. I would usually give him the center of the chicken breast where there was no seasoning. Now, when there is a sale, I buy a big package of chicken breasts and boil or roast them and chop them up into small pieces and put it in the freezer in plastic bags. I use it about twice a week. I tried using dark meat chicken, but he didn't like it so I stick with the white meat. He will also eat canned tuna and mackeral, however it is very salty, so I limit that to the times when I can afford to buy the most expensive cut packed in water and I rinse it a lot to get off the salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or