U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM

157 posts, read 215,555 times
I found this thread because I want to teach my cat how to use the toilet.

Every day we've been finding cat litter grains in our toilet (no excrement, though); we couldn't figure out how the cat left those there. The litter box is directly next to the toilet, and has been since we got our cat in June. The cat is about 6 months old. Yesterday I caught the cat on the toilet, scratching on the toilet seat as if it were his litter, and sometimes he would try to dig at the water as if it were litter. With the water he'd just get confused and sniff his paw afterwards--and then go back to scratching the toilet seat. He was very intense while doing this, and after watching him do this for a couple minutes, I made a noise and he looked up and hopped off the toilet.

He is always very curious while we're using the toilet. When he sees me using it, he'll run to his litter box and watch me; sometimes he'll sit right in front of my legs and try to see what I'm, uh doing down there. Sometimes while I'm using the toilet, he'll defecate or urinate a little bit as he's watching me do what I do. He'll stick around until I flush the toilet (I always wait for him to finish in the box if he's started before I flush), then he runs away upon hearing the loud flushing noise. It seems that shortly after I use the toilet is when the cat does his digging around on the seat, because that's when we find the litter grains (obviously from his paw after just using the box).

So...I ask because I read the methods of teaching your cat how to use the toilet, and all of them include a transition from the floor to the top of the toilet, touching the water, walking/sitting on the seat, etc. The cardboard box/roasting pan idea is really interesting, but I don't think this will help our little Malik because he's already ON the toilet, digging around--and I presume he digs around because he knows what the purpose is for the toilet.

Does anyone know how I can teach him to position himself on the toilet and actually relieve himself on it? THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-02-2011, 09:33 PM

600 posts, read 786,985 times
I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd contribute anyway, in case someone else wants to teach their cat to use the toilet.

I'm in the process of training my kitten to use the toilet with the help of the CitiKitty kit. So far he's on step 2, which means I cut out the first ring on the plastic thing. You can google how CitiKitty kit works.

Anyway, so far he's doing great. His litter box was right next to the toilet in the first place, so he was completely comfortable with the flushing noise (especially since he always used the bathroom at the same time as I did ).
He's confused about the hole in the plastic and always tries to "cover" it with litter, which is a huge waste of litter, so I barely fill up the litter anymore, but I'm seeing a progress. Yesterday he peed and pooped right IN the hole, which is an awesome aiming! (the hole is very small). He usually uses the toilet when I'm in the room.

Anyway, if anybody else has any stories to tell, please do

Unread 02-03-2011, 12:16 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,878,481 times
Default stinky litterbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
We went to PetCo and got a rescue cat. What a wonderful pet and he finally gets along with the dogs. That took awhile. Anyway, his litterbox smells like a BioHazard. It almost needs cleaned every time he uses it. It's horrible! We're slowly moving his catbox to the bathroom to begin toilet training. There are many sites telling how, and many differ widely. What really works?
If you use a clumping litter and scoop twice a day there should be no bad odors from the litterbox. My boy cat, also from Petco, makes some large smelly poops but he covers them quickly = no smell. I scoop 'em out morning and night.

Unread 02-03-2011, 12:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,878,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
We've always had at least one cat, and never had this problem before. Right now we use a Purina product, but the food was our first thought. We've tried expensive veternarian products. Nothing helps. This cat really turns cat food into nuclear waste. We put paper in the bottom of the catbox because it's like glue and is extremely difficult to wash out otherwise. I researched this forum and saw peoples' cats using the toilet automatically. Our new cat, about 2 years old (guessing) seems to acclimate to new things well. We're hoping this works, but I agree that it seems unnatural for a cat to do this.
What kind of litter are you using? That may not be helping if it allows odors to filter up and out. Canned food doesn't seem to make as smelly waste as dry does. But my cats get very little dry food. They get it as a midnight snack and my boy's morning poops are stinky. It sounds like your cat has loose bowels too if it's sticking to the pan.

Unread 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,930 times
Kitty,
This is a revived thread from 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats