Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
while she was at the vet yesterday they gave her a rabies shot and they injected her with fluids to make her pee. do either of those sound like something that might leave her dizzy/lethargic more than 24 hours afterward?
YES - and keep an eye on her. The rabies vaccine is a very "strong" vaccine and if you're cat is already stressed &/or is suffering from an infection, it sounds like it could be taking its toll.

An adverse reaction - from something mild to severe - to a vaccine is not uncommon. Your vet should have mentioned this to you as well as advised you what to look for. Mostly, reactions will pass within 24 hrs or so, but for those 24 hrs, the animal should be kept quiet and calm and monitor hydration levels.

If you are at all worried, call the vet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM

214 posts, read 757,777 times
i wanted to update and say that all is well in the suki household. she has completely stopped peeing on the couch. she still refuses to pee in the litter box, but she's at least keeping it contained to a towel that we leave on the bathroom floor [i keep washing it and replacing it in fear that she'll move back to the couch upon its removal], but i am going to put another litter box in the place where the towel is and see how that goes. maybe she just needs two seperate places to go.

mainly i just wanted to say thanks to every one for your help and concern! i really appreciate it.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:47 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Instead of a towel, which can stink to high heaven, try using a puppy training pad! They're GREAT! They absorb the pee and the smell!

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Instead of a towel, which can stink to high heaven, try using a puppy training pad! They're GREAT! They absorb the pee and the smell!

Good luck!
oh! good call! i hadn't thought of that.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Put the towel in the litter box, without litter, and place the whole thing where the towel was.

Then switch to the puppy pad in the liter box. Then start placing a 1/4 cup of litter over the puppy pad. Every day that she uses it, add an additionl 1/4 cup. Once you've got a couple cups in there, remove the puppy pad. Then slowly keep adding litter.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Another thought is the area the box is in. she may want more privacy. Have you tried a covered box? Make sure you move that towel...don't want her to become accustomed to using that as her litter box. Habits are hard to break! But something is making her unhappy and avoiding the box.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM

last night i placed a second litter box next to the first one, in the place where the towel was. she peed in it. i guess she just needs two potties.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alixjack View Post
last night i placed a second litter box next to the first one, in the place where the towel was. she peed in it. i guess she just needs two potties.

Bless you for being so patient with her and concerned about her! I'm so glad it seems to be working out. These are the kinds of situations that can make less-patient pet owners give up their animals.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
A vet told us one time that you need a litterbox for each cat........plus one extra one. It works for us. Soak the towel in Simple Solution before you wash it to remove the pee scent.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 AM

blargh!

as i posted before, i removed the towel and replaced it with a second litter box and all was well. the second litter box had tidy cat in it. tidy cat friggin REEKS and isn't flushable so i changed it to world's best. suki started peeing on the floor again, no towel necessary. why the hell will she poop on worlds best but not pee on it?! i don't understand..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats