Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times

Advertisements

About the yelling posted by the OP. I got my first cat after my husband died, I had one roomate, but we were best friends and didn't argue at all. However, I adopted a 16 and 17 year old cat from a friend who I knew for a fact had a verbally abusive husband. Whenever I was watching TV and there would be some kind of loud interaction between a man and a woman these two cats would hide. It took me many years to assure them that they were fine and it was only the TV. Eventually they became more assured. Your vet is correct. You cat will be affected by your interaction with your spouse.
It was easier with my St Bernard. If my husband and I would argue, she would just step between us and growl and tell us to shut up. We knew we had to take that arguement to another location because she was not going to put up with it for a minute. :LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Hooray for Otto!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
To the OP...
What is the high fiber food your vet suggested? Dry or cans?

My two cats love the Elegant Medleys line from FF...I don't know if that would be considered the "McDonald's" of cat cans or not. I was also leaving Nutro Indoor Cat dry food...which apparently is low on stock right now, at least at PetSmart, because they have a sign up on the shelves apologizing for the inconvenience. The clerk said that some production run had "too much potassium" and that's why it was "voluntarily removed." So I bought a Science Diet "naturals" dry food and today am going to try the Purina One Indoor Advantage "hairball" formula...
Sometimes I think all this packaging is one big scam and all the stuff is made the same ... e.g. how is it that one type of Max Cat dry is only $6.99 a bag but the Nutro Indoor is $12.99?? (Nutro/Max Cat same company.) But I digress.

So just curious what the OP is going to feed now!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
just wondering how little otto is doing today...... i find myself checking in here several times a day to see how he is doing.......

Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
I'm so happy you have him back. And happier still that you're going to stop yelling because of him. I hope he brings you years of joy.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
ok folks here is the update on little Otto, and thanks for all asking.

We have not had one throwup or splat out the other end since we have been home. He is not making little noises (squeaks all day) crying for non stop cans and taking one bit and crying. This would go on for HOURS!!!!

I have a new kitten/cat. Otto is 9 months old. He is completely different. Its totally amazing. He looks healthier, smiles, plays, purrs, and does not drive me crazy. He is not sick. This truely blows my mind, I cant believe that a cat food would make him so damn sick. No I will not buy any store cat food due to setting him back, it does not work for him. I am not against store cat food, all my cats ate it just this one is sick on it. I mean SICK!!!! Otto is doing great, for the first time I dont see depression or pain in his eyes. I see a whole new animal.

Now the vet gave me Purina vets diet/OM. He gave me OM ( for overweight cats) Otto is not overweight due to the fiber in it. Its not watery at all. I picked up a few cans of the Hills/ID for cats with digestive problems at another vet due to me thinking Otto will get bored eating the same food all day. The Hills is more watery so I mix it with the high fiber one once in a while. Otto is eating it!!! He seems to do best on this Purina Om veterinary diet . He has the least digestive problem with it. The Hills I am not too sure of, in small doses but if I give him just the hills I think we are back to square one. So I am sticking with the Purina vet diet. So if your cat is having problems try the one for overweight cats even if he is not overweight due to the fiber in it. I think this is the best. Anything too watery or with gravy seems to make Otto sick. We have broke the fancy feast addiction. He is HAPPY for the first time in his life. His eyes are smiling. I can see it. Things are good. He has only 8 lives left so he better use them wisely. He lost one! To think this animal was going to be given away over Fancy Feast!!!! He was in bad shape, now things are so great. If you could see little Otto you and him would smile together. He is the best! He purrs and love me and I love him even more. Thank god I got him back.

Last edited by stevemorse; 06-20-2009 at 05:43 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
SO HAPPY for you both! I don 't think cats or dogs get bored eating the same thing, I think we are giving them our emotions. We might get bored but they don't. All my cats and dogs have had one food only and that is it. They are all good eaters. Seems like you have found what works for Otto so don't mess with it!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,518,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
just wondering how little otto is doing today...... i find myself checking in here several times a day to see how he is doing.......
thank you, thats sweet.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
so glad that he is on the mend ..... and with a fairly simple cure........

Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

I don 't think cats or dogs get bored eating the same thing, I think we are giving them our emotions. We might get bored but they don't.
This is absolutely true!
Quote:
Finickiness is one of the most famous of all feline traits. According to many behaviorists, however, it's a learned behavior and not an inborn one. Cats will happily eat the same food twice a day for their entire lives, provided it's nutritionally complete and tastes good enough.

Don't teach her the habit. Surprisingly, a lot of feline finickiness is taught to cats by their owners. Thinking the cat will get bored with a single flavor or brand, owners stock up on a variety of foods, trying different ones with each meal to determine a pet's favorites. If a cat walks away from a particular brand or flavor and the owner immediately opens another can, box, or bag, the cat quickly learns that finickiness pays.

. . .

HowStuffWorks "Dealing With Cats That Are Finicky Eaters"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats